Dreams...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropamanda

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Have we got any dream interpreters here?
I keep having the most vivid and strange dreams lately and I can't figure out why because I don't usually have them.
A lot of them are to do with relationships and some are just plain strange where people show up who I'd never imagine I'd dream about. Then I spend half the morning wondering why I had the dream.

Anyone know anything about dreams or any good info sites about interpreting dreams?

Well Mandalay, I cant really offer any well learned advice, except to offer one theory put to me by, oddly enough, my Art history teacher at college. She was a bit of a wingnut and I took a lot of what she said with a grain of salt. Anyway, one day in class we were discussng Tom Roberts the artist when she suddenly drifted off into dreams. Then spent the rest of the class talking about the id ego and superego. She says obviously there are levels to consiousness and the brain cannot compute everything it knows. When we sleep, possibly hundreds, maybe thousands of fragments of thoughts, feelings, senses and emotions are 'let loose' in the average 3 second dream. When we sleep, we lose a lot of control over thought, but the human brain will always try to find some semblance of order in its processes. It is a simple explanation and possibly true, it makes sense. So basically during sleep, these fractured elements go wooshing around, and the brain, while in 'sleep mode' still looks for order, and will put it all in a sequence that does not either make sense nor make none at all. The eye is an awful lot slower than the brain but during conciousness, in a single second of time, it is taking in an unbelievable amount of information, so much that we aren't aware of it.
She drew a diagram of the id ego and superego theory and stated that most thought lies in the id, less in the ego and so on to the superego. This site goes into it more than I can http://www.victorianweb.org/victorian/science/freud/Division_of_Mind.html. She wasn't a huge advocate of Freud which I liked. But her thoughts could explain a lot of typical 'hogwash' about dreams being prophesies, or warnings or whatever as she thinks that its all information we have stored, but can't compute it while awake.
It answers those questions we have like "why on earth did I dream about that person?" You weren't necessarily thinking about them, but they were there in your mind somewhere just at a deeper level of the subconcious.

I think I've strayed off topic, but its fascinating nonetheless. I dont know of any good dream sites sorry!

Cool Angie, thanks!
I guess mostly it was bugging me because a lot of the time the people in my dreams have not been anyone I know, maybe even kind of faceless, and I'm not sure who they were.

I've always found Freud's theories fascinating.I'll check that link out.

the few dreams I do remember are very boring
nothing much happens in them
I wonder what that means

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I don't even think I dream about anything, I never wake up and remember anything at all. That's somethin' to be concerned about!

I wonder why, Sula
biggrin.gif

Oh, don't mind me. I never read this thread before but dug it up today because I had a horrible dream last night. What a great post, Angie! Thanks, that really opened my eyes. I hate Freud, too. And sula-gila, the most violent thing I ever dreamed of was twisting a guy's testicles in opposite directions; something I have shared with manda in chat, who probably doesn't appreciate reading it again.

Last night's dream was horrible because it was so wonderful. I'm sure you guys get this kind, too. I dreamed that I was with my best friend again and this time we were allowed to be friends. It was so nice, too bad it will never happen in real life.

foray

------------------
so bounce, basketball, bounce

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I've had psychotic dreams lately. Really scary ones too actually.

I get those. Ever since last December (as in Dec 2000) I dreamt that I would die in a car crash the January before I graduate at a specific intersection in a fiery painful manner. Yea, I didn't take that intersection at all in January, and for good measure I steered clear in February.

------------------
Proud owner, maker and baker of THE U2 cookies.

I have this recurring dream. When I say recurring I mean that I have had this dream about three or four times in maybe 10-15 years or so. It basically involves me and a few other people who may or may not be my family going over a stone road bridge in what appears to be a countryside area, or at least one where there are not that many houses. It's a small bridge, but it is quite steep, and on the slope either side of it is just grass... if you are a pedestrian you'd have to walk up it. The stones are grey, and on one side of the road there is a little cottage-type house, which is painted white. It is very quiet, and a few other walls nearby are made of stone. I have absolutely no idea what the relevance of this dream is, nor why I am having it, but I remain convinced I have been to this place. And it still annoys me every now and again.

Incidentally, I didn't want to have more than a thousand posts, but such has been the shoddy response to my request for a new user name on here (two weeks and counting!) that I gave up hope in the end.

Back
Top Bottom