Down Under: The Bass Playing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Layton

War Child
Heard "Down Under" by Men At Work the other day and really got into the bass line. Whoever this guy is, he knew how to lay down a groove on "Down Under". If I remember right, he also lays down a nice groove on "It's A Mistake". His work takes a couple of otherwise forgettable songs and makes them pretty good.

Moonlit_Angel said:
Heh, I loved "Down Under" as a kid. Still do, actually-it's a good song. As is "It's A Mistake".

I don't mind what I've heard by Men At Work thus far :shrug:. They have some good songs ("Overkill" is another one I rather like).

Angela

Yeah, "Down Under" is definately an underappreciated song. Probably because it's so catchy and poppy, but it grooves. Hell, the groove almost makes Australia sound like a Carribean island, but less obviously happy as most Carribean grooves are.

Layton said:
Yeah, "Down Under" is definately an underappreciated song. Probably because it's so catchy and poppy, but it grooves. Hell, the groove almost makes Australia sound like a Carribean island, but less obviously happy as most Carribean grooves are.

:yes: (I rather like that island sort of sound you're referring to in songs, by the way...there's something about it, it just sounds good).

Angela

and the lyrics :love: you couldnt ive without such amazing lyrics:wink:

yea, i definitely like this song it goes back a long way and even though i dont hear it that often i love evrytime it's a fun song and it reminds me a lot of roadtrips. also wall of vodoo's Mexican Radio ...yeah i really like that song too :reject:

Moonlit_Angel said:

:yes: (I rather like that island sort of sound you're referring to in songs, by the way...there's something about it, it just sounds good).

Angela

Yeah, "Down Under" really is an island song. I wish I could explain what that means better. The groove captures something uniquely Australian that even more acclaimed bands like INXS and Midnight Oil didn't get to.

A more traditional Australian sound, could that be what you're getting at? 'Cause INXS and even Midnight Oil at times, their music sounded like stuff that people from any country could make (not saying that that's a bad thing, mind you-they still made great music, and Midnight Oil's lyrics gave you an idea of where it was they hailed from)...but Men At Work had that kind of sound where you could tell it was Australian?

I dunno, I could be way off there, but is that what you're trying to say?

elevation2u said:
also wall of vodoo's Mexican Radio ...yeah i really like that song too :reject:

I like that song, too :). Fond memories of singing along to that one on some 80s mix tape that we had around the house when I was little :D. Very fun song.

80s music is cool :).

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
A more traditional Australian sound, could that be what you're getting at? 'Cause INXS and even Midnight Oil at times, their music sounded like stuff that people from any country could make (not saying that that's a bad thing, mind you-they still made great music, and Midnight Oil's lyrics gave you an idea of where it was they hailed from)...but Men At Work had that kind of sound where you could tell it was Australian?

I dunno, I could be way off there, but is that what you're trying to say?

I'm just saying that "Down Under" is a unique take on an Australian sound. Not that INXS or Midnight Oil don't sound Australian. Just not in this particular groovy way.

Back
Top Bottom