Doves single?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonaVox

Rock n' Roll Doggie
[color=royal blue]OK I remember hearing this song on the radio the other nite and liking it, and they said it was by the Doves who I've kinda heard of. Anyway, does anyone know what the name of the single is? And anything else you might wanna say about them......?[/color]

This is TOTALLY my day for recommendations!! :D

The song you heard was most likely "There Goes the Fear" from the new Doves album, The Last Broadcast, which is absolutely brilliant.

Doves are Andy and Jez Williams and Jimi Goodwin.

They're from northern England (Manchester area).

They used to be a dance/pop band called SubSub who recorded the 1993 club staple "Ain't No Love (Ain't No Use)."

Then their studio burnt to the the ground with all of their equipment and recordings inside.

They rose from the ashes as Doves.

They're touring the US right now with Elbow (who opened for Pete Yorn).

Jimi plays the guitar and the bass upside down.

They are fantastic. :heart:

Also, Adam likes them.

Recommended songs that should be easy to find: "The Man Who Told Everything," "Cedar Room," "Break Me Gently," "Words," "Pounding," "There Goes the Fear," and everything else.

[color=royal blue]AH THANK YOU!! I just downloaded it and am trying to get more of their songs.

Woooooooo man all the good music is imported from Britland or Ireland or....not here.

Except Pete.

And Bruce.......
[/color]

MonaVox said:
[color=royal blue]AH THANK YOU!! I just downloaded it and am trying to get more of their songs.

Woooooooo man all the good music is imported from Britland or Ireland or....not here.

Except Pete.

And Bruce.......
[/color]

And Rufus! :D

3 more recommended Doves songs, all from the first album. Here It Comes, Catch the Sun, and A House. Here It Comes and Catch the Sun were both singles if I remember correctly. The new album is great, I need to listen to it more. Doves sure are a good band.

Zooman91 said:

Hey hey, so am I. :yes: :yes:

tomorrow night, wednesday? or tomorrow night, thursday?

Cuz if you're coming tonite, you must hang out with us. :D

if not, then yer on your own. :p

Meegannie, those are the exact songs I would recommend. Lost Souls was an excellent debut album, but The Last Broadcast is mediocre. Words and Pounding are great songs but the rest don't do much for me. There Goes the Fear is two minutes too long. By the way, does the first few seconds of Sulphur Man remind anyone else of WTSHNN?

I would also recommend those exact same 6 songs!! But then, I'm coming to expect such astute taste from Meegannie.

Yes, There Goes the Fear is a bit long, particularly for a single, but its still a great song. And while Words and Pounding (esp. the latter) are the two most immediate singles candidates, the rest of the album is littered with gems. I really like the title track and Satallites.

DiGi said:
I finally picked up the last broadcast last night. I can't wait to go see them next week.

You got the tickets? Yay!

Okay, so everyone who saw them last night -- details! Come on, don't hold back. (This might have to be moved to PLEBA after I go to the shows, due to my reaction to Guy Garvey.... :drool: )

ok, meg...the full details are to follow, but suffice it to say...

Both Elbow and Doves absolutely ROCK!

:D

Oh and we got to meet most of the guys in both bands after the show. Guy Garvey is a total sweetie and has the most adorable accent. :heart:

and most importantly....meg...pictures will be available for your viewing pleasure later on today

*will be back with the story of the show a bit later*

Oh and we got to meet most of the guys in both bands after the show. Guy Garvey is a total sweetie and has the most adorable accent.
:shocked:
Oh, my...you are incredibly lucky :) How fun!!
Pictures, pictures!

3 days and counting, megan...I can't take the wait! :scream:

:eek:

eeiieieiiieeeee!!!!!

Guy Garvey!! :heart: :heart: I love him I love him I love him I love him. I HAVE TO MEET HIM. :|

can't type due to excitement. must see pictures.

*dies

meegannie said:
:eek:

eeiieieiiieeeee!!!!!

Guy Garvey!! :heart: :heart: I love him I love him I love him I love him. I HAVE TO MEET HIM. :|

can't type due to excitement. must see pictures.

*dies

:sexywink: Did I mention that when Ali Rose and I got our picture with him, he put one arm around each of us and pulled us close? :D Cuddly!!! lol. I thought of you, meg. *waits impatiently for photo developing*

I want to cuddle Guy Garvey!
:yes: :love:
We WILL find him!! :)
Let's go to philly now, camp out...can't take it...guy...cuddle...oh, my...
And the show - they are both soooo good!!! Can't wait to see doves live...and elbow again...guy...sorry, I digress again. ;)

your avatar...:heart:

[color=royal blue]WOW I guess I should seriously check these guys out a little more. I did read that article in the Washington Post yesterday with an obscure comparison to U2...which made me happy :) And of what I've heard, I like 'em! Thanks! [/color]:tongue:

Hopefully, zonelistener will be on soon and able to answer that question. I had not heard any of Doves material before the show and the only song title I can remember was Catch the Sun (which was amazing, btw). Sing some of the lyrics for me and maybe I'll remember? lol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom