Does anyone like to...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2vertigofly

ONE love, blood, life
...build stuff yeah it may not be the coolest but it is alot of fun. i'm in the woodwoking club in my school and am thinking about builind a guitar at home some time

I built a lot of half-finished cabins in the woods when I was growing up

I don't really build stuff since I've got everything I need at the moment, but I'm very handy at fixing stuff, coming up with make-shift solutions, or putting things together. I live in a house w/ other college students and most of the other girls have no clue about things like putting in storm windows, replacing a furnace filter, fixing a blown fuse, replacing window screens, etc. The most recent thing I've built was a stand for a 55 gallon fish tank. My dad helped because I'm not familiar with his tools, but I basically told him exactly what supplies we needed and how to put it together each step of the way. If we had done it his way, it would've collapsed under the weight of the water. I'm the only girl I know that got power tools for Valentine's Day!

A few years back I made some bookshelves for my medieval re-enactment group when I was in charge of research resources for my administrative district. My dad helped me with the cutting, I did the cementing and the sanding with an electric sander.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I don't really build stuff since I've got everything I need at the moment, but I'm very handy at fixing stuff, coming up with make-shift solutions, or putting things together. I live in a house w/ other college students and most of the other girls have no clue about things like putting in storm windows, replacing a furnace filter, fixing a blown fuse, replacing window screens, etc. The most recent thing I've built was a stand for a 55 gallon fish tank. My dad helped because I'm not familiar with his tools, but I basically told him exactly what supplies we needed and how to put it together each step of the way. If we had done it his way, it would've collapsed under the weight of the water. I'm the only girl I know that got power tools for Valentine's Day!
thats sounds pretty cool. how did the tank come out?

verte76 said:
A few years back I made some bookshelves for my medieval re-enactment group when I was in charge of research resources for my administrative district. My dad helped me with the cutting, I did the cementing and the sanding with an electric sander.
Yet again very cool. if i may ask, what was the cement for?

U2vertigofly said:

thats sounds pretty cool. how did the tank come out?

Pretty awesome. I was going to paint it, but never did. Tank stands cost over $100 (for crappy wood and veneer, more like $300 for real maple, oak, or whatever) but the one I made, even with two three-drawer pieces I bought, was around $40.

I've built several computers, a desk, a bookshelf, and I do a lot of fixing of random things. Since I go to a tech school, everyone likes to build and if I don't have a tool I need it is very easy to find someone that does.

I used to love playing with Construx. They were these rods, connectors & other thingies that some of us 80s kids played with. My favorite creation with Construx was a basketball hoop that returned the ball to you when you made the shot. :D After a month or so, my brother destroyed it in retaliation for me destroying his lego airport..... :wink:

I've also recently made a Weasley clock. In Harry Potter, the Weasleys have this clock that has a hand for every family member & the hands point to wherever the people are. I made one with me, my wife, and our gecko on it. The options are Home, Asleep, Work, Frolicking, Shopping, Prison, Traveling, and School. Our gecko used to be at the 'Asleep' position all the time, but now we've put him at the 'Prison' spot. :wink:

LEGO....greatest toy ever invented...end of...no questions asked...

I mean i still occasionally mess about with lego and im 19......wait that just means im sad:wink:

with wood, no. but i absolutely love arts & crafts , pottery & sculpture (which entails building). also, i'm extremely handy. . . ask me to put together any unassembled contraption (even sans instructions) or fix something that's broken and i can do it no time flat. :D

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I'm the only girl I know that got power tools for Valentine's Day!

That's very cool :up:

I have no training at all in carpentry, but it's something I enjoy, and it seemingly comes naturally. I've built a few things, like a bat house to protect the bats we had to drive out of our attic a few years ago. I've also built a greenhouse for my mom, using old storm windows from my grandfather's house--a house built when he was roughly my age now. It's funny how skills arrive, or how they don't, because not one of my grandfather's kids (my father included) has inherited his carpentry ability, or even curiosity.

I'm not much of a builder, but back when I was little, I'd always play with the boys and built cars and strange buildings out of K'Nex and Legos with them. I also used to take old junk and break it apart then try to remake a completely new thing with the extra parts. :lol:

one day I'd love to build a guitar though. it sounds like it'd be a really fun project :yes:

LJT said:
LEGO....greatest toy ever invented...end of...no questions asked...

I mean i still occasionally mess about with lego and im 19......wait that just means im sad:wink:

I'm 40 and I never past up the chance to play with Legos :lmao:

At Mall of America in Minn, they have a huge Lego store.....
...I'll spend hours in there :giggle:

I love building things.
I haven't built much with wood, other than a few summers where I was an assistant to a contractor, but I enjoy that kind of thing - building, painting, knitting, sewing, legos... I love them all. I think I could be a mean auto mechanic, if I wanted to.

oh, and :heart: lincoln logs :heart:

Back
Top Bottom