Does anyone know any good NEW albums??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PopFly

War Child
I'm hosting a show on my school radio station in a week, and our playlist requires 40% of the songs have to be from albums released in the last six months. Since I think most new music today BLOWS, I need some suggestions. Keep in mind that this is a university station, and thus we tend not to play overly mainstream stuff.

Doves' "The Last Broadcast" was really good...not exactly sure what "mainstream" is considered in Canada, so that's probably the best I could give you right now.

I second Doves "The Last Broadcast"!! An excellent record.

Others:
South "From Here On In" (tracks 2 & 6)
Elbow "Asleep In The Back" (tracks 2 &7)
Neil Finn "One All" (anything off this album)
James "Getting Away With It (Live)
the forthcoming Coldplay record

man there is sooo little...

i heard bruce springsteens latest today and i am most impressed. that is a great song. maybe you could play that? i dont care if its mainstream or not its a good tune.

play some of the new radiohead mp3s :D

man other than that, there is NOTHING.

i mean sigur ros is coming out with something shortely, but i dont know when. boards of canada, i have no idea, aphex twin same, i have no idea.

well i also think the new filter song is good too. "where do we go from here"

uhhh

slim pickens, but next year it should be a great great year with expected releases coming from u2, radiohead, pearl jam, and im sure many more, oh and yes! rem too!

2003 should be a very good year for music.

It was mentioned in another thread, but the new Trail of Dead CD is really good too...as well as zooropamanda's choice of BRMC.

i bought the doves cd and just listened to it through for the first time today.....i'm behind it too....it's great!

aside from those mentioned...

electric soft parade - holes in the wall (thom yorke recently praised them, quality guitar-driven rock, with good song structures and lyrics)

gomez - in our gun (based firmly in blues yet splashed with electronic beats and noize)

clinic - walking with thee (wired with nervous energy, sounds like it could be eerie backdrop for a clint eastwood or charles bronson film)

squarepusher - go plastic (for something really 'out there' and experimental, although this album is a year old now)l

but I among those previously mentioned, I highly recommend Elbow, Doves and BRMC

Last edited:
I second the Doves, Electric Soft Parade, and Beth Orton recommendations, and would also add:

South -- From Here On In
Mull Historical Society -- Loss
Ash -- Free All Angels
Kosheen -- Resist

Gemma Hayes: Night On My Side

Yeah Yeah Yeah's: Master

The Coral: The Coral (they're a bit :coocoo: tho)

I don't know if best of's count but Tricky's newest album (best of) is very cool.

and I know The Frames: For The Birds was out last year but it's a great album.

DJ Shadow is cool too. :yes:

Jo

good question

there isnt much new out worth picking up, hell, the last 20 out of 22 albums have been relesed form over 2 yrs ago..

i dont think hes droped a new one yet, but del the funky homosapian is good....

the flaming lips are always nice..

but if ur looking for albums in general try to pick up some soundtracks from the cowboy bebop anime, lott of good jazz style tracks, not to mention the remix album is nice...

the rhazel album, mtm2000, is hot...if u into hip hop and beat boxing...

dsmith2904 said:
Norah Jones's new album (the name is completely escaping me, but it's her only one) is so great, has this cool old jazz vibe to it, real passionate.

I think it's called Come Away With Me. I agree, she has a gorgeous voice.

Thanks for the input, everybody....keep the suggestions coming! I'll definitely have a look at Bowie, Beth Orton and the Doves (I actually have that album, but just forgot about it).

Don't forget Solomon Burke with Don't Give Up On Me. A great new 'classic' soul album (like they made in the Sixties, etc.). He's one of the greatest soul singers (as he was there even before the Sixties) and now he's made a great comeback record (the title track is stunning).

C ya!

Marty

I just heard of a great new artist named Sam Roberts, the album is called The Inhuman Condition.

Brother Down is an amazing song! I think he's Canadian, I saw him on Muchmusic and picked up the album based on that one song.

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, I can't believe this album hasn't been mentioned yet. A few mp3s you may want to check out are: Kamera, War on War, Heavy Metal Drummer, and Pot Kettle Black. The new Doves album is fairly good, but their debut album is much more interesting. A couple other pretty good albums are Dredg - Leitmotif and Sonic Youth - Murray Street.

there's plenty of great music out there this summer:

*the walkmen* - 'everyone who pretended to like me is gone' (i can bet that most people here would love these guys. they have an early u2 sound, but more tripped out)

*hot hot heat* - 'knock knock knock Ep' (very exciting band from vancouver)

*yeah yeah yeahs* - 'self-titled ep' (for 'art star' and 'bang' alone. great tunes)

*and you will know us by the trail of dead* - 'source tags and codes' (comparable to sonic youth)

*the liars* - 'They Threw Us in a Trench & Stuck Monument on Top' (nyc band)

*rjd2* - 'dead ringer' (rightfully being compared to dj shadow's 'endtroducing')

*prefuse 73* - '92 Vs. 02 Collection EP' (very progressive hip hop)

*the bran flakes* - 'bounces' (incredibly eclectic album. really interesting)

Back
Top Bottom