does anyone have a spare goalie...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
cause my leafs need one. corey schwab for the rest of the season = early exit in playoffs.

Dog-gone it!
Huge blow for Leafs as Cujo fractures hand in win over Hurricanes, out 6-8 weeks
Summary

By MIKE ZEISBERGER -- Toronto Sun

In just two days, Curtis Joseph went from wearing a gold medal to wearing a cast.

A fractured bone in Joseph's left hand will keep the Maple Leafs goaltender out of the lineup for an estimated six to eight weeks, a scenario which could see the team without his services through the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

"We're hopeful it will be quicker but you just don't know about these things," said Maple Leafs general manager/coach Pat Quinn, who must feel that Sunday's Olympic championship celebration with Joseph and the rest of Team Canada was a million years ago.

Joseph, 34, was hurt while trying to regain his feet midway through the third period of the Leafs' 4-1 victory over the Carolina Hurricanes at the Air Canada Centre. As he attempted to stabilize himself during a scramble in front of the Leafs net, searing pain suddenly shot through his catching hand.

"It was a freaky thing," said Joseph, trying to maintain his composure as he addressed reporters in the Leafs dressing room. "I was down and I tried to push myself back up like I normally do. When I pressed down on the mesh (of the net), it felt like my hand went backward. I actually could feel it bend."

Joseph, the team's unofficial MVP during his first three seasons in Toronto, immediately knew something was seriously wrong.

"It's very disappointing," he said. "But I've got to think playoffs. I've got to think I'll be back with a few games left.

METACARPAL BONE

"In the meantime I'm optimistic we're going to persevere here. I'll help out (whichever goaltender) I can and keep busy. We've got a good team in here, and I'm just hoping this goes quickly."

Joseph has a fracture of a metacarpal bone, one of five which join the fingers to his wrist on his left hand.

Joseph left the ice with 8:22 remaining in the third period with the Leafs guarding a 3-1 lead. He was replaced by Corey Schwab, who stopped all four shots he faced.

The pressing question now becomes how do you replace a goaltender who entered play yesterday with the third most wins (27) in the league?

Unless the Leafs can find a diamond in the rough in St. John's or deal for another goaltender, the team's hopes rest with Schwab, who entered the game with a 4-5-0 record, 3.27 goals-against average and .879 save percentage.

Schwab, 31, was at his Seattle home last September when Leafs executive Bill Watters phoned with a training camp invite. He did not sign a contract until less than a week before the Leafs' season opener Oct. 3 versus the Ottawa Senators.

"Schwabie's got a number of NHL games behind him," Quinn said. "Do I think he can consistently perform at Curtis' level? Probably not. But he has been good for us."

Schwab likely will get the nod to start against the arch-rival New Jersey Devils at the Continental Airlines Arena Friday. Schwab played 10 games for the Devils during the 1995-96 season.

"I'm ready to play every game if that's what is needed," Schwab said. "I'm not going to change my approach."

The loss of Joseph spoiled the Leafs sixth victory in their past seven outings.

The Leafs once again were without Alexander Mogilny, who has suffered from a wonky back ever since he was shoved into the boards by the San Jose Sharks' Brad Stuart on Jan. 29. His replacement, Paul Healey, notched his first NHL point by setting up Robert Reichel's second-period goal last night.

Shayne Corson, Garry Valk and Gary Roberts also scored for Toronto. Valk's goal snapped a personal 33-game scoring drought for the Leafs' forward.

Sami Kapanen had the lone Carolina goal.

The Leafs also were without the services of defenceman Dmitry Yushkevich, who is sidelined indefinitely with a blood clot in his right leg.

no joseph, no mogilny, no yushkie. what happened!

Do we see a big trade coming in?

I read somewere that the Leafs wanted Mike Vernon as a backup for CuJo, maybe he will be the solution.

Maybe Fiset from LA Kings, I would love to have Jonas H?glund on "my" team
smile.gif

------------------
Olofski
SWEDEN
We move through miracle days Spirit moves in mysterious ways

you want Brian Boucher?
frown.gif

------------------
You make yourself vulnerable to change in your life. But in the end, you've got to become the change you want to see in the world.
-the B-man

Originally posted by Olofski:
Do we see a big trade coming in?

I read somewere that the Leafs wanted Mike Vernon as a backup for CuJo, maybe he will be the solution.

Maybe Fiset from LA Kings, I would love to have Jonas H?glund on "my" team
smile.gif

well olie we've already got mats, jonas and mikael. seeing as cujo's contract is up in a few months why don't we steal another goalie, by the name of salo, from the oilers to complete the swedish tandem?

but seriously i have heard that joseph is harboring some feelings of anger towards quinn for passing him over for at least giving him a second chance in the czech game. i agree joseph should have been given a chance but i highly doubt that curtis would be upset about this, he is a competitor but he is also very reasonable. all this is a moot point as he is, in all likelihood done 'till at least the start of playoffs.

Originally posted by BabyGrace:
you want Brian Boucher?
frown.gif

ummm, no thanks
wink.gif

i have heard that they were trying to pry kevin weekes out of florida. if they are successful i could imagine a two goalie tandem being successful down the stretch as the maple leafs have been playing much stronger defence this year, however yushkevich being out with his blood clot is not going to help this situation any. this also requires that cujo be, for sure, ready at the start of the playoffs as neither kevin weekes nor corey schwabb should be trusted with leading the maple leafs to the cup.

i'm sure the flyers, sens, bruins, rangers and devils are pleased with those though
smile.gif

Originally posted by kobayashi:
seeing as cujo's contract is up in a few months why don't we steal another goalie, by the name of salo, from the oilers to complete the swedish tandem?

We would never part with Salo. He is the best goalie dollar for dollar in the league. We, we! more like Sather, made the worst move EVER by not moving Joesph and letting him go for free. Salo still has another year in edmonton and will probably stick around.

Has anyone noticed that the Oilers always have good goalies. Moog, Fuhr, Ranford, Joesph, Salo. And our back-up is a decnt young player. Marrkenen. Hey hes swedish you could have him!!!!

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

somehow I can't see it being pretty if Cujo comes back just in time to jump right in for the playoffs. But then again, he's a strong player, you never know..

anyway, that sucks for you guys
wink.gif

------------------
You make yourself vulnerable to change in your life. But in the end, you've got to become the change you want to see in the world.
-the B-man

Marrkkanen is Finnish!

------------------
Olofski
SWEDEN
We move through miracle days Spirit moves in mysterious ways

Back
Top Bottom