Does anyone actually just watch TV any more?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eliv8

Refugee
I have had a DV recorder now for couple of years, it’s built into the cable box. Instead of surfing I scan through my favorite channels and record stuff that looks interesting. Then when I have some free time I just pick something to watch. Commercials can be zapped through in about 5 seconds. I would have trouble going back to the ‘old fashioned’ way of viewing.

I do the same for most of my shows and it really is hard to watch real tv now with the commercials.

One option I use is setting a show I just happen to see on to record, wait about 10 minutes and then start watching it, then I can fast forward through most of the commercials and still be done within the same time frame.

i have a splitter
with a TIVO on one cable
and a DVR from Adelphia on the other

I must have about 40-50 hours on hard drives to catch up on

When I watch a standard TV
I find my right hand reflexively start clicking when the commercials come on

On the rare occasions I watch TV I do it the old fashioned way. I do have a VCR, but there is rarely anything I care to watch so much I bother taping it. I don't have cable and don't plan to get it.

I don't and when I go into zootv I don't recognize half the names in there. I do dvr a few shows still. I have a season and a half of grays anatomy on there and the daily shows. But once it starts to get full I delete.

I'll never watch the stuff. The few good shows still on tv I'm too far behind in to catch up.

since i work nights, i miss a lot of the prime time shows i used to watch so i tape them. i used to have a dvr but i haven't ponied up the cash to get one now that i have satellite. so when i'm watching a tape, of course i fast forward through commercials.

but yeah, when i get home at nights, i'll watch tv the old fashioned way. but i've gotten into the habit of muting the commercials.

With the way that Australian TV is, and its getting into its sucky perid (only because I can't stand Big Bother, Australian Idol, and anything else that has reality tv attached to it)
I tend to end up getting most of my stuff from Torrents. Which is my : Scrubs, Arrested Development (well what used to be!), 24 ect ect ect ect ect. All the stuff that Aussie TV will put on at 11:30 at night, or in 5-10 years from now :lol: (I've noticed North Shore is being shown here now....what the?)

I have seasons 1-5 of Seinfeld On DVD...mainly because I dont have Pay TV anymore....Oh how I miss my Soccer, and Aussie Rules with no commericals! :drool:

Other than that, I don't watch Much TV :)

RedrocksU2 said:
3 Directv Tivos in my home.
:reject:

GrumpyWife.gif

Only 1 here... Only certain shows I still watch, and I end up having to Tivo (Moxie) them. It's much cooler to forward thru commercials. There's more things I would Tivo, I just don't have a lot of free time to watch TV.

The only TV I still watch on a regular basis every week are shows that pertain to Poker.

Poker Superstars Invitational Tournament (FSN)
The World Poker Tour (The Travel Channel)
The World Series Of Poker (ESPN)
High Stakes Poker (GSN)

My favorites include ... Daniel Negreanu, Phil Hellmuth, Phil Ivey,
Chris Moneymaker, Gus Hansen, Jennifer Harman and Annie Duke.

I do.

We don't even have cable. We have two TVs in the house, and we rely on rabbit ears. When I go back home to visit my dad, his digital cable is such a delight. :lol:

I do but I never just sit and watch TV, it's usually on in the background while I'm doing something else, like reading or working on my laptop, etc.

MsMofoGone said:
The only TV I still watch on a regular basis every week are shows that pertain to Poker.

Poker Superstars Invitational Tournament (FSN)
The World Poker Tour (The Travel Channel)
The World Series Of Poker (ESPN)
High Stakes Poker (GSN)

My favorites include ... Daniel Negreanu, Phil Hellmuth, Phil Ivey,
Chris Moneymaker, Gus Hansen, Jennifer Harman and Annie Duke.

Good choices! :heart:

I can't say I watch much TV beyond local sports.
  • I can choose and receive hourly-updated news from RSS feeds from any website that has RSS Syndication. I don't have to wait for the 5 minutes of story I want to watch in the hour long news broadcast.
  • I can get my favourite shows in high-definition the night after they air on BitTorrent
  • I can get international sporting events like F1 races on BitTorrent

Why bother with TV? It's inefficient.

I was just having this same discussion with a friend. My exact words were, "I haven't really watched tv for about 3 years now".

I have had TiVo the entire time and I haven't really watched live tv since. I mean, even if I do watch something in "real time", I generally pause it for about 5 minutes to allow the TiVo to get ahead of itself thus avoiding commercials altogether.

Owning a TiVo has it's drawbacks though......

You get used to the 8 second "go back" button.....

Here's the example;

You go to the movies and if there is a part that you did not hear well....you reach for the remote.......at the movie theater...:lol:
It happens to me all the time. I call it the "TiVo Syndrome".

Back
Top Bottom