Does 24 have any political leanings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Halifax

The Fly
I don’t know whether to post this on the Zoo Station or FYM boards, but I’ll just stick it here for now.

The 4th season of 24 has just premiered in Australia and we are about 4 or 5 episodes in. While I very much enjoyed the show and its past seasons, I would have to wonder if 24 has a right leaning, pro-Bush stance. Although I disagree with torture except in extreme circumstances, it’s almost used casually in the show. I almost got sick when (SPOILER) James Heller ordered the torture of his own son.

Although on the other hand Palmer is a Democrat, which is also pretty interesting given the fact that he acts in ways which are opposite to the Bush administration (ie. Doing everything he can to prevent a war in season 2).

Look, I’m not pointing fingers here, at the end of the day 24 is one of the few great things in television right now, I just want to hear peoples views on this.

I always wondered the same thing. On one hand the show did come off as having a hawkish/Pro-Bush leaning. However, maybe the writers did that to simply make the show realistic and show how people and government agencies are really acting these days.

I was troubled by the casual acceptance of torture in this year's episodes, and said as much not too long ago on this forum. I got the "blah, blah" smilie for my trouble. :(

they do have leanigs towards new cast members

Fox Entertainment President Peter Liguori told reporters at last week's Television Critics Association press tour it would take torture with bamboo shoots to get him to even mention the series, which will make a four-hour, two-night bow in January.

However, E! Online confirmed Monday star Keifer Sutherland would be back as agent Jack Bauer along with a new cast including former designing woman and double Emmy winner Jean Smart, indie film actor Brady Corbet and Spin City's Connie Britton.

Gregory Itzen also returns as President Logan and Carlos Bernard will be back as Tony Almeida.

Mary Lynn Rajskub, returning as computer whiz Chloe O'Brian, told E! security is so tight on the 24 set, the cast gets scripts at the last minute to ensure plot lines stay secret.

I'll just mention that Rush Limbaugh visited a shooting of 24 this past season, and was warmly welcomed. I'm sure that means that it's pro-Bush to all of you out there.

Is the West Wing bias? How about the new show "Commander-in-Chief?" Oh, you probably don't care about the leaning of those, do you?

theblazer said:
I'll just mention that Rush Limbaugh visited a shooting of 24 this past season, and was warmly welcomed. I'm sure that means that it's pro-Bush to all of you out there.

Is the West Wing bias? How about the new show "Commander-in-Chief?" Oh, you probably don't care about the leaning of those, do you?

Maybe I being a little silly, but why does it matter which way a television show leans? It's entertainment. Take it as that.

theblazer said:

So are you saying we're all just dumb knee-jerk liberals? Or just liberals that can't like any show that with a point of view we disagree with?

Actually, Rush Limbaugh visiting the set, to me, does not prove anything about the show other than he must be a fan. The cast's responce to him being there doesn't tell me anything either other than they are polite people.

As for the Commander-in-cheif show, I read that they are going out of their way to make it non-partisan....I don't really know if this is a good idea as a show about the Presidency has to also be about policy or what else would they show.

But anyway, back on track...can't waith for the new 24 :drool:

Jack Bauer/Keifer :drool: :drool: :drool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom