Do we have an official MLB 2k5 thread yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
....our cup overfloweth with douche. [/B]

Quick question that is a little off topic: When your cup overfloweth with douche - does it smell bad?

Now my initial thoughts would be "no" because of the very character of douche. But then I begin to think of the nature of douche and begin to wonder...........

:wink:

Tons of Knick fans hate him....I am from the Bronx and am back home a lot....and talk to my friends a lot....and none of them like him. My Dad wants to kill him, which is extreme, but, my Dad has to go kill A-Rod and Brown first, so Stephon has time.

Stephon is a ball hog extrodinaire, it's unreal. He ought to cross the Hudson one night and watch a real point guard. Even a clown like Vince Carter sings Kidd's praises.

Dalton said:

Quick question that is a little off topic: When your cup overfloweth with douche - does it smell bad?

Now my initial thoughts would be "no" because of the very character of douche. But then I begin to think of the nature of douche and begin to wonder...........

It smells like kerosene, oddly enough. I don't know why that is. I just don't.

:wink:

CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. -- John Rocker once said retirement would beat playing for a New York team. Now, the metropolitan area he slammed so hard provides the setting for a comeback bid.

Rocker, who missed nearly two years after undergoing surgery for a torn rotator cuff, is back in baseball with the suburban Long Island Ducks of the independent Atlantic League.

His debut was awful. Rocker walked four batters in the ninth inning and lost 4-3 Thursday night to the Bridgeport Bluefish.

does it really get any better than a wang vs bush pitching matchup?

Got to see my first game at Citizens Bank tonight...well, most of a game. (RAIN)

Two MLB games (one in SD and one in Philly) down.....a TON more to go.

zoney! said:

Two MLB games (one in SD and one in Philly) down.....a TON more to go.

was in Pittsburgh last week to see a Pirates game at PNC, I think it might be one of the best ballparks I've been to, everything about it is incredible.

Turner field this wednesday :up:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
first week in May, and the Red Sox are 4 games out of first and the Yankees are 7.5 out... I'm guessing not many woulda guessed that one, but hey... I ain't complaining :up:
You conveniently neglected to mention that the Mets are in 4th place in their division.

ahh... yet just 3 games out of first, and without all those lofty expectations :wink:
Ah, but when you sign the top free agent pitcher and top free agent hitter in the same year and play in the fair city of NY, don't kid yourself my friend, the expectation level for the Mets is just a shade below that of the Yankees...if they don't contend (And yes they're only 3 back, but they're also sub -.500 currently), they will be crucified by the NY media and fans.

As for the Sox, they have their 1 and 2 starters out, but are still in second place, 4 games behind the O's who are riding an 8 game win streak, a pace which won';t continue, the pitching isn't strong enough, though the hitting is the best in MLB. The Sox need to merely tread water till June and hopefully get back Wells and Schilling (and Wade Miller should be in the rotation this weekend) and they'll be fine.

The Yanks on the other hand should be concerned. They are an aging team and the pitching staff has been inconsistent at best (middle relief is awful), and a lineup of high priced, aging veterans (for the most part), who aren't putting up numbers comensurrate with their salaries. I think this may be the year that Steinbrenner's head explodes like a character in the movie "Scanners".

Hewson said:
Ah, but when you sign the top free agent pitcher and top free agent hitter in the same year and play in the fair city of NY, don't kid yourself my friend, the expectation level for the Mets is just a shade below that of the Yankees...if they don't contend (And yes they're only 3 back, but they're also sub -.500 currently), they will be crucified by the NY media and fans.

As for the Sox, they have their 1 and 2 starters out, but are still in second place, 4 games behind the O's who are riding an 8 game win streak, a pace which won';t continue, the pitching isn't strong enough, though the hitting is the best in MLB. The Sox need to merely tread water till June and hopefully get back Wells and Schilling (and Wade Miller should be in the rotation this weekend) and they'll be fine.

The Yanks on the other hand should be concerned. They are an aging team and the pitching staff has been inconsistent at best (middle relief is awful), and a lineup of high priced, aging veterans (for the most part), who aren't putting up numbers comensurrate with their salaries. I think this may be the year that Steinbrenner's head explodes like a character in the movie "Scanners".

let's slow down...

first off, if the mets had gone out and signed no one this off season, they'd still be crucified by the media... if they won 95 games this year but still missed the playoffs, they'd be crucified by the media... point is, they'll always be crucified in the media... it's new york... it's part of the deal.

so a shade under the spankmees? i think not... before the season the so called "experts" were predicting at least 100 wins... some going as far as 110+ wins by the yanks this year... meanwhile the mets had expectations of 80 to 85 wins. so yea... not quite just a shade. the yankees will always be held to a higher standard, and the mets will always be the bastard red headed step child... just the way it is.

anyhoo... that's the only thing i disagree with you on. i don't think the orioles will be able to keep up this pace... i do think the red sox will be fine, and i do think the yankees have some serious issues...

i was just commenting on how nice it was to see someone else in first place in may. hasn't happened in a while.

I'm anxious to see Wade Miller get in there. If he is fully recovered and can regain his old form, the Red Sox will be in decent shape until Wells and Schilling return.

And then the bullpen will be stabilized even more, as Arroyo would have to go back to middle relief, although another injury could always pop up.

It's good to have options with your pitching...

I predicted Wade Miller to have the best record for the Sox after the season is over, but that was before injury of course.

The guy is a great pitcher, and he will be a big help to the rotation wiht the injuries they got. However, as Yanks fan, hopefully it takes him a while to get the rust off :wink:

Even if Schilling, Wells and Miller all end up in perfect health by Memorial Day and pitching well, I would like to see Arroyo stay in the rotation...maybe they could trade Matt Clement to the Durham Bulls and he could hit the mascot 20-30 times a game without even trying.

Read Buster Olney's excerpt from his book on ESPN.com's web site. Chronicles the Yankee decline since 2001. It's only excerpts, so it's concise, but still interesting reading. I'm a die-hard Yankee fan, the book hits home with me, since the day Steinbrenner really started tossing $ at players, as opposed to at least doing some building of a team, like the 90's teams. The 21st century Yankee teams are all just store-bought....no comraderie, no gelling, just fucking depressing to watch mercenaries like Johnson and Brown and punks like Wright and users like Giambi and whiners like Sheffield and wimps like Mussina and A-Rod, play on this team and make millions upon millions. Sigh. I know you cannot live in the past, and I know I'm spoiled by their decade run of success, but I'd rather have Girardi than Giambi, Pettitte than Pavano, Wells than Wright, El Duque than The Big Unit (Yeah, Johnson's better, but Duque saved us last year and countless times in the post-season), Brosius than Brown, etc. Maybe the best thing that can happen is a collapse, and a purging. Go Orioles, because that's my only consolation, that maybe the Sox will fade, too. But, I doubt it. DAMN! When's football season start??? :)

The Olney book on the Yankees (I believe the title is The Last Day of the Yankees Dynasty) is an excellent read, and well worth borrowing from the library.

The Yankees are proof that character matters on a ballclub. They won with O'Neill and Tino and Brosius and Girardi...players with big hearts who went all out, every game. Grumps like Kevin Brown and Gary Sheffield (who has been fairly well behaved here, I expected much worse) might have the stats, but they might not be winners, either.

Teams have their ups and downs, and right now the Yankees are down. What I find upsetting is the glee that so many people have when they are down.

The Yankees helped my family cope when my brother Jimmy died shortly after the start of the season in '96...for three or so hours, we weren't consumed in a world of grief as we watched a game. Following the Yankees was something normal at a time that was so abnormal--it kept us from totally withdrawing from the world. For that, my family & I will always be grateful to the Tino/O'Neill/Brosius era Yankees.

RademR said:

was in Pittsburgh last week to see a Pirates game at PNC, I think it might be one of the best ballparks I've been to, everything about it is incredible.

Turner field this wednesday :up:

I'll get over to PNC this summer too.

I am going to Wrigley Saturday (before the U2 concert). Without a whole lot of planning, I will be seeing Phillies games three straight weekends (home and away).

I plan to hit the following ball parks this summer:

Detroit - Comerica (with April)
Cincy - Great American
San Diego - Petco (done)
Philly - Citizens Bank (done 1)
D.C. - RFK
Baltimore
Chicago - the cell and wrigley
Minnesota - MAYBE
and a few minor league ballparks (SWB with Abby)

tony womack is your starting left fielder for the new york yankees? :huh:

something doesnt seem right about that

zoney! said:

I'll get over to PNC this summer too.

wont be hard to get a ticket, no one goes to their games. I had two seats in the first row right behind the left field wall. Got them like 4-5 days before the game.

That's a nice list. I want to hit Jacobs field after Turner. :up:

shrmn8rpoptart said:
col_logobanner_primary.jpg
there's still plenty of room for anyone who wants on the genR bandwagon...

these are a group of guys who have been playing together for two years for the colorado springs skysox. they may be new to the bigs, but they're not new to each other, and already have the clubhouse chemistry needed to succeed. they work hard and play hard. they have hustle, desire, and talent. talent!

they showed monday that they have the sticks to do the job at coors (which they sorely lacked last year), and the defense to help out the pitchers (8 of the padres 10 runs came on homers). clint barmes had a sweet diving stop in the hole at short finished off by a todd helton sweep tag when the throw pulled him off the base.

they will be an exciting team to watch, and the seats at coors field will fill back up. their is a buzz about baseball in this state that hasn't been heard in a long time.

and just remember the major league movies. the rockies are a lot like them. the gm (and maybe the owners) seem determined to drive the team into the ground. they players are a bunch of nobodies, except for the one longtime star (helton), and the other decent guy (wilson) that no one else wanted. they want to win, and are thrilled to even be in the major leagues.

monday's stats: miles (5-6 with 3 doubles), barmes (3-6, 1hr), helton (1-5), wilson (1-5, 1hr), holliday (3-5 with a triple), baker (2-5, 1hr), mohr (0-5), closser (0-5), and sullivan (1-1, with a double). this team will get the job done even when helton, wilson, and the pitching staff have off days (like monday).

the pitching numbers will never be good here, but the pitchers are mentally tough, and can do enough to keep the offense in striking distance.

so, my predictions for the season...
the vegas odds are that the rockies will win 67 games. i take the over on that...WAY over! they will make the playoffs this year. no doubt in my mind

fukeClR3.jpg

get used to seeing this scene at the end of games in denver this year!

well after a little over a month of the season gone by, lets take a look at how the rockies are doing, shall we?

The Rockies are in the midst of a 7 game losing streak and their current record is 6-18 for a .250 winning percentage.

That is good for dead last in all of baseball, and they are on pace to go 40-122

How is the baseball buzz in Colorado now? It looks like the Vegas odds makers were a little generous in predicting 67 wins, as the under is looking damn good right now.

Now I know the Western Division is weak, but I dont think a final record of 40-162 is going to be good enough to sneak into the playoffs...

I did like your enthusiasm though :wink:

It is interseting that the shrmn8r hasn't been heard from since the Rockies lost their undefeated status in game 2 of the season.
But I'm sure he's right that there's plenty of room on the GenR bandwagon.

What the heck is wrong with people in Chicago...the White Sox have MLB's best record and can only draw 12,362 last night...you people don't deserve a winning team.

Is Kevin Brown's the worst contract in baseball history? What a shame its Steinbrenner who has to pay it (even funnier that he traded for it, didn't sign Brown to it himself).

yea the rockies suck... but at least there's the avlanche playoff run :hyper:
oh wait...
Yea but the Nuggets are gonna end their series with the Spurs tonight in 5 games...too bad they'll end it by being blown off the floor.

At least the Broncos D can handle Peyton Manning when fall rolls around...

by the way

the sox sold 12000 tickets last night

but at the stadium it looked more like 6000 people showed up or so. 12000+ was the paid attendance. pretty pathetic.

Hewson said:
It is interseting that the shrmn8r hasn't been heard from since the Rockies lost their undefeated status in game 2 of the season.
But I'm sure he's right that there's plenty of room on the GenR bandwagon.

What the heck is wrong with people in Chicago...the White Sox have MLB's best record and can only draw 12,362 last night...you people don't deserve a winning team.

Is Kevin Brown's the worst contract in baseball history? What a shame its Steinbrenner who has to pay it (even funnier that he traded for it, didn't sign Brown to it himself).

yet wrigley still sells out and they blow... go figure.

perhaps the shrmn8r, the sophisticated sex robot that he is, was sent back through time to change the future for one lucky lady.

or maybe he's just embarassed like that tigers fan was last year... bitches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom