Do we have an official MLB 2k5 thread yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the best thing looper ever did was get traded for renteria

Oh how I miss the days of Armando benitez - NOT

Hey Headache, perhaps we can get Roger McDowell or Randy Meyers out of retirement.....

I know it's just one game, but that pissed me off big time...

Joe Randa?!:huh: Freakin' Joe Randa?? The Joker ?!?!

speedracer said:

Well, I wasn't addressing Pedro's start as much as the "quality start" statistic overall. I think a 4.50 ERA over six innings is "okay", but not "quality".

But back to Pedro. Nine straight Ks is great, but the currency of the game is runs, and for much of last year Pedro showed a shocking propensity to give up gobs of runs either early in the game (as he did yesterday) or towards the end of his start (like in Game 5 of the ALCS). The main thing is that he's been giving up a lot more long balls -- his opponents' slugging percentage jumped to .399 last year after being close to or below .300 for the last few years.

Okay, so yesterday he gave up a couple singles and then gave up a 3-run HR before striking out everybody else. You say the home run is one bad pitch (or perhaps one bad stretch of at-bats) over the course of a game. I say this sort of thing happens consistently over the course of a season.

I'm not really trying to bash Pedro here; he pitched well enough to win, and the Mets bullpen failed him. I'm just stating what I've observed over the last year.

I agree. This is pretty much what I was getting at.

col_logobanner_primary.jpg
there's still plenty of room for anyone who wants on the genR bandwagon...

these are a group of guys who have been playing together for two years for the colorado springs skysox. they may be new to the bigs, but they're not new to each other, and already have the clubhouse chemistry needed to succeed. they work hard and play hard. they have hustle, desire, and talent. talent!

they showed monday that they have the sticks to do the job at coors (which they sorely lacked last year), and the defense to help out the pitchers (8 of the padres 10 runs came on homers). clint barmes had a sweet diving stop in the hole at short finished off by a todd helton sweep tag when the throw pulled him off the base.

they will be an exciting team to watch, and the seats at coors field will fill back up. their is a buzz about baseball in this state that hasn't been heard in a long time.

and just remember the major league movies. the rockies are a lot like them. the gm (and maybe the owners) seem determined to drive the team into the ground. they players are a bunch of nobodies, except for the one longtime star (helton), and the other decent guy (wilson) that no one else wanted. they want to win, and are thrilled to even be in the major leagues.

monday's stats: miles (5-6 with 3 doubles), barmes (3-6, 1hr), helton (1-5), wilson (1-5, 1hr), holliday (3-5 with a triple), baker (2-5, 1hr), mohr (0-5), closser (0-5), and sullivan (1-1, with a double). this team will get the job done even when helton, wilson, and the pitching staff have off days (like monday).

the pitching numbers will never be good here, but the pitchers are mentally tough, and can do enough to keep the offense in striking distance.

so, my predictions for the season...
the vegas odds are that the rockies will win 67 games. i take the over on that...WAY over! they will make the playoffs this year. no doubt in my mind

fukeClR3.jpg

get used to seeing this scene at the end of games in denver this year!

yes, just like the tigers were going to the playoffs last year

bitches

Headache in a Suitcase said:

Will Ronan Tienen fly away using his ears like he was Dumbo?- Yes.

he is doing or just recently did a show in a town near where i live, and some promoter managed to plaster flyers featuring those ears in every building on campus. because everyone knows that's who college kids are most psyched about seeing live these days.

and no, i don't know why i felt the need to share that with you.

he does have one hell of a voice, but alas, this is a baseball thread...

thoughts...

-i'm much more excited about john smoltz's performance than i am disapointed in braiden looper's. am i the only person who doesn't believe smoltz will make a smooth transition back to the starting rotation? he'll be 38 in May, and he hasn't started a game since early 2001. he hasn't pitched an entire season as a starter since 1999. Why, now, do we think he's capable of comming back and being the old smoltz again?

--apparently the rockies are the new tigers... bitches.

we'll see who the bitches are when teams are leaving coors with their tails between their legs and the pitchers don't recover for weeks (i'm looking at you trevor hoffman:evil: ).

Boston manager Terry Francona was taken to a hospital Wednesday with tightness in his chest, and was expected to miss the Red Sox’s afternoon game against the Yankees.
Francona, who turns 46 on April 22, said all morning he was not feeling well, according to general manager Theo Epstein. Francona was taken by ambulance to New York Weill-Cornell Medical Center in Manhattan, where he has relationships with several doctors.

Headache in a Suitcase on 5/14/04 said:
if the tigers make the playoffs, i will print this thread out on my printer, cut out my posts, and literally eat my words... and if you'd like to arrange it, feel free to send the tigers over to scratch my ass.

if the rockies make the playoffs, i will print this thread out on my printer, cut out my posts, and literally eat my words... and if you'd like to arrange it, feel free to send the rockies over to scratch my ass.

if the rockies make the playoffs, i will print this thread out on my printer, cut out my posts, and literally eat my words... and if you'd like to arrange it, feel free to send the rockies over to scratch my ass.
:laugh: k, we'll see...it is nice to have a baseball team in denver to get excited about, i have not been this excited about baseball since 1998. genR will surprise a lot of teams. everyone is used to coming into denver, playing their scrubs all weekend, and still winning 2 of 3. those days are done. these guys don't know that they're supposed to suck. all that they know is playing baseball, and they will play to win every game.

the lineup is there to be able to manufacture runs AND hit the longball. they will take advantage of coors field like no rockies team has done since the blake street bomber teams. i think they can win 50-60 games at home, and if they do that, they only have to get close to .500 on the road to have a legitimate shot at the playoffs.

This must be a first...Johnny Damon thrown out stealing 2nd on ball 4 to Trot Nixon.
Steinbrenner seen writing out a check to the 2nd base ump while happily chomping on a calzone.

As for the Rockies...they lack just one thing...pitching.
Their staff would be subpar in Comerica Park with the fences moved out instead of in, in Coors the team ERA is likely to be double digits....female dogs!

No playoffs for the Rockies...lady pooches!

Mo was getting booed a bit when he left the game. That's harsh.

speedracer said:
Mo was getting booed a bit when he left the game. That's harsh.

Very...as a yankees fan, I cant imagine booing Rivera.

The guy has problems facing the Sox, he was like 0-2 and blew 4 out of 10 or something against them last year.

Is it a problem? Could be, but the guy is as good as it gets. He'll save 40 this year, and hopefully a few against Boston.

not that i really care either way... but with the amount of times that the red sox have hit derek jeter, purposely or otherwise, you'd think by now joe torre would take off the skirt and have someone put a fastball in the ear of ortiz or varitek.

I agree. When the game got out of hand in the 9th and it was 7-3 , I thought Rivera was going to nail someone. He was throwing everything out of the strike zone anyway...might as well

Hewson said:
As for the Rockies...they lack just one thing...pitching.
Their staff would be subpar in Comerica Park with the fences moved out instead of in, in Coors the team ERA is likely to be double digits
i pretty much agree with this, yet i still have their entire starting rotation on my fantasy team, man am i screwed...i didn't even participate in the live draft, i just got stuck with them.

but, jennings was the '02 rookie of the year and is 23-14 all time at coors. chacon made the all- star game as a starter the year before last (and is back in the rotation after is AWFUL bullpen stint last year). hopefully chin hui tsao gets healthy, he's been a league wide top prospect for a few years. and for a closer, we have byung yung kim. he has shown talent at times, but is also a notorious choker, so only time will tell,

and except for the fact that they are on my fantasy team, i don't care what their era is. the only numbers that matter are the numbers in the 'w' column. as they showed in the opener, they can give up 10 runs, and still win the gam. so i'm not worried about their stats (or lack thereof). i just care that the team wins.

and finally, eveyone forgets that the other team has to pitch here too. the altitued effects both teams equally, and everyone's era's skyrocket after a visit to denver.

Oh, Ryan Dempster... :no:

Going to the Cubs home opener on Friday...I hope Kerry Wood doesn't stub his toe.

I hate being negative, but sometimes...at least when we were losing, it was easier to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom