Do we have an official MLB 2k5 thread yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
05BeltranCarlos.jpg

gone...

whats his era through 4?

and will he be able to make it through the 6th with all those pitches?

I'm sure he's done now.

He didn't give up another homer, although that hit by Casey could have been serious damage if it had stayed fair.

But it didn't. So overall, a decent performance by Pedro. I'd say 3-5 runs a game will be the norm for him.

saaame old mets

so is that what 50 million gets you these days?

a pitcher who can only go 6 innings with an era of 4.5?

maybe they should have invested more in the bullpen...

Chizip said:
saaame old mets

Looper is a joke....

And Adam Dunn is a freaking stud

Chizip said:
saaame old mets

that's not a valid argument for today... looper was the one guy that no one thought needed to be replaced... it was the middle relief that was said to be a huge question mark... the middle relief pitched great, pedro pitched great, beltran played great... and they still lost.

:shrug: one game down, 161 to go.

Pedro got a lot of strikeouts today against a team known for whiffing a lot.

The fact is, there aren't too many instances anymore when Pedro gives up less than 3 runs. His ERA has gone up each year the past three years, and I expect it to hover around 4.00 - 4.50 this year.

Last edited:
they couldnt have let zambrano get one more out to get the win??

dont they know i have him on my fantasy team??

phanan said:

The fact is, there aren't too many instances anymore when Pedro gives up less than 3 runs. His ERA has gone up each year the past three years, and I expect it to hover around 4.00 - 4.50 this year.

please... i don't think pedro's gonna win the cy young this year by any stretch of the imagination (even though i picked him in my predictions... eh... i picked it, but i don't believe it), but he's the last person to bash today.

if you want to bash a met, bash braiden looper. he's to blame. period.

pedro martinez, from the time where there was 2 outs in the first until the time he left the game allowed no hits while striking out 12 of the 16 batters he faced. you can't ask for anything more than that. he's a hundred pitch pitcher. we know that. everyone knows that. but those 100 pitches were about as good as it damn gets today. after the first inning homer to dunn, pedro pitched about as well as he's ever done.

so let's lay off martinez today... knowing the way things go with the mets, there will be plenty of time to get on him later. for now, let's just stick to bashing looper.

during the broadcast, Joe Morgan mentioned the Mets bullpen was the weakness of their roster in the beginning of the 9th, and then look what happens :|

Pedro made one mistake all day, he pitched a hell of a game, struck out 9 out of 10 batters. Good start to the season.

What's up with Mike Cameron? He wasnt in the lineup today, and I dont think hes on the DL.

Chizip said:

derek lowe as the nl cy young??

sorry its going to be rick ankiel
Kind of tough to win the NL Cy Young as a Single A outfielder who leads the minor leagues in throwing errors.
Ankiel hit more opponents when pitching than Marc "Pick" Bulger does, and thats a lot, a real lot.

phanan said:

Yeah, 3 runs in 6 innings is pretty much par for the course for Pedro these days. I'm still trying to figure out how this qualifies as a "quality start".

Headache in a Suitcase said:

as one of the biggest pedro haters around... if one can't see his start yesterday as "quality," then i don't know what you people were watching.

Well, I wasn't addressing Pedro's start as much as the "quality start" statistic overall. I think a 4.50 ERA over six innings is "okay", but not "quality".

But back to Pedro. Nine straight Ks is great, but the currency of the game is runs, and for much of last year Pedro showed a shocking propensity to give up gobs of runs either early in the game (as he did yesterday) or towards the end of his start (like in Game 5 of the ALCS). The main thing is that he's been giving up a lot more long balls -- his opponents' slugging percentage jumped to .399 last year after being close to or below .300 for the last few years.

Okay, so yesterday he gave up a couple singles and then gave up a 3-run HR before striking out everybody else. You say the home run is one bad pitch (or perhaps one bad stretch of at-bats) over the course of a game. I say this sort of thing happens consistently over the course of a season.

I'm not really trying to bash Pedro here; he pitched well enough to win, and the Mets bullpen failed him. I'm just stating what I've observed over the last year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom