Do computers make the experience of music better? or worse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anything that hurts the industry of corporate radio is a good thing.

In the 'good ol' days' most people only had corporate radio and maybe MTV, when they actually play videos, for exposure to new music. The internet has provided a cost effective means to get exposure for yourself. Granted you could get indie pressings and smaller label music from order catalogs and certain shops, but it was hardly cost effective, it was a roll of the dice. $15, and you may want to throw the fucking thing away after all that effort, but you probably wouldn't. Doesn't make the music any better.

I do miss certain things about the good ol' days, like when you could actually be surprised about a new album by one of your favs
just by walking into a music store, rather than being inundated by news breifs that leave nearly nothing to the imagination. Then again, that news access can be a great thing. So there is good and bad, but anything that takes the power away from the greedy suits who like to force-feed their brands of music is a good thing, if for only that alone.

I definitely think computers make the experience of music. PCs definitely enhance it. I ws sick of buying a cd only to find I only liked one or two songs. Now there's a way around that....only BUY the songs you like. And on the internet you can listen to snippets of songs to get a feel for if you'd like it or not. Yea, I remember the days of cassettes and of making mix tapes and cds. I've got a whole box of cassette tapes I am taking to a flea market and also I am going to unload a bunch of cd's I no longer want. Save space, less to dust and clean besides I've got all my favorite stuff on my iPod and on my iTunes. I will of course save my U2 and other favorites on cd as back up.

But yea, my vote is enhancement of the music experience, definitely!

I think that for me one thing seems to be true. Since record companies have become more and more afraid of the internet and piracy, they've had to make the buying of cds that bit more attractive, so I definitely think that they're starting to put a bit more effort back into the artwork. Rather than just stick something into a jewel case, now we're getting cardboard gatefold sleeves, and other innovations. Plus, they've got to give us more for our money, hence the CD/DVD combo (U2, Bruce Springsteen, etc) and other additional extras.

Computers definitely make the experience of music better for me. I never listen to music on my CD player anymore - only ever on iTunes. I have a pretty big music collection, so having everything collected together and having the ability to locate a track quickly is a great commodity. Also, it's a minor thing, but the shuffle function is something which never concerned me before, but now that I use it regularly, I would miss it greatly if I didn't have it.
Also, such as audiopod and last.fm that you can use in conjunction with computer listening. I still like having the CD, and am not a big fan of downloading whole albums, but iTunes is great for when I want the odd song from an album (plus, they get some great exclusives - especially in the remix line).
It's computers all the way when it comes to listening for me.

I was just remembering how u2 spent a good deal of time working on and refining the tracklisting for HTDAAB. While all bands will spend time on this, it just seems important for the whole existance of music as we know it that a band will take so much pride in their work for the sake of people (a ever decreasing number) who can truely appreciate their efforts. :heart: I love u2!!!

Back
Top Bottom