Digital camera flash memory card question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissVelvetDress_75

Blue Crack Addict
basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized b
I have a Canon Power Shot A75 digital camera and currently have the flash card that was sent with the camera. The flash card holds a very small amount of pictures and I want to buy a new flash memory card that will take more than 30 pictures. However I am not sure what brand to use and how many Mb I need.

Will any of you please share a tip or two about what to buy and look for in a flash memory card?

Signed,
:huh:

The A75 is a 3.2 megapixel so don't worry about the speed of the CF card. If you had like a 6 megapixel camera, you'd want a high speed card, but with the A75, speed is not really an issue. I buy my CF cards on newegg.com b/c they're cheaper and you can see the users' ratings. My Canon also came with the 32MB CF starter card and since then I've bought a 512MB, 1 Gig, and got a 256MB as my Christmas present from my parents. Unless you're planning on needing a single card for a LOT of pics (like my Africa trip where I had no way of transfering pics for over a month) or are into using the camera to shoot vids, I'd say you won't need anything above 256. The reason is, if you pay a lot more for a 512 or 1GB and it's your only card, you're totally screwed if you lose it or it gets ruined. I'd buy like one or two 128MB cards or maybe a 256. I will bust out my camera and let you know how many pics will fit on these cards....

OK, just to give you some ideas...

Our Canons have 4 options for picture resolution.

At the highest res, a 1GB card holds 612 images. At the lowest res, a 1GB card holds 3677 images.

At the highest res, a 256MB card holds 154 images. At the lowest res, a 256MB card holds 960 images.

The 128MB card will be half that.

I'd also recommend getting a CF card case. I got one for $10 that hold 4 CF cards. It's made so that you can stomp on it and the cards inside are fine. It's about the size of an Altoids case. I got it at Ritz Camera, but I'm sure they have them at any electronics store.

As for brands, I've never really paid attention to them. I basically find a compromise between the price and the users' ratings, or try to find a reasonably priced card from a brand I recognize. I would just check newegg.com before you go to a place like Best Buy, unless they have a sweet deal.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Can I just say I LOVE newegg.com? Great prices, lots o' choices....I'm NEVER going to Best Buy or CompUSA again!

I will never go back to BestBuy b/c the last few times I was there just browsing computers, at least 5 different (male) employees came up and asked me if I needed help. I finally had to explain to them one by one that I work in computers and I KNOW what RAM is and bla bla bla. The next day at work, my co-worker, who is male, was complaining that he can never get anyone to help him at BestBuy. God, it's SO annoying! I won't even go in the store unless I have a guy with me so that these salespeople leave me the fuck alone!

Anyway, CF cards....

my problem with those stores is they ignore me because they assume that I'm one of those stupid girls who's gonna ask stupid questions, like "where's the bathroom" or something. I apparently give off a "no commission here" vibe.

As for brand of card, it doesn't matter, the major brands (Kodak, San Disk, and "store brands") are all made by the same manufacturer.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I will never go back to BestBuy b/c the last few times I was there just browsing computers, at least 5 different (male) employees came up and asked me if I needed help. I finally had to explain to them one by one that I work in computers and I KNOW what RAM is and bla bla bla. The next day at work, my co-worker, who is male, was complaining that he can never get anyone to help him at BestBuy. God, it's SO annoying! I won't even go in the store unless I have a guy with me so that these salespeople leave me the fuck alone!

Anyway, CF cards....
I think they just want to hit on you...:hmm:

Heh...I had to go to Best Buy today for a cooling pad for my laptop b/c they had the cheapest price. God, it was AWFUL!!! I was going this way and that, trying my best not to make eye contact, but they have like 5 employees down every isle! I couldn't find the cooling pads and had no choice but to ask someone. They were out in the open area where all the computers are...so inevitably 5 guys asked if I needed help. Then they saw I was carrying the cooling pad and were like "oh, that....really cools it down! Yeah!" like DUH you fucking morons, get a real job! My roommate was w/ me and I believe she muttered something about us not getting any respect unless we had penises. Best Buy is really the only time/place where I am outright rude to people and don't care.

Anyway, yes, Lexar is a good choice. :)

My roommate was w/ me and I believe she muttered something about us not getting any respect unless we had penises.

There was no muttering involved. :wink:
Yes, we are standing in the computer section. No, we don't have penises. Yes, we do know what we're doing, go away before you get hurt.
:scream:
The people there must constantly think customers are trying to shoplift because you have to avoid eye contact and run away to avoid them, especially if you're female. I actually heard one of them say "oh, they're going down there!" and then send someone after us.

AND one time I had a guy actually try to tell me that I couldn't put music on regular CD-Rs and had to buy the more expensive music CD-Rs. I told him I'd done it before and he told me no, they must have been music CD-Rs. We all but argued for 15 minutes before I just gave up and left.
Just thinking about it makes me want to scream. :scream:

Other than that I have nothing to contribute to this thread because my camera uses SD cards. :)

Heh...I had to go to Best Buy today for a cooling pad for my laptop b/c they had the cheapest price. God, it was AWFUL!!! I was going this way and that, trying my best not to make eye contact, but they have like 5 employees down every isle! I couldn't find the cooling pads and had no choice but to ask someone. They were out in the open area where all the computers are...so inevitably 5 guys asked if I needed help. Then they saw I was carrying the cooling pad and were like "oh, that....really cools it down! Yeah!" like DUH you fucking morons, get a real job! My roommate was w/ me and I believe she muttered something about us not getting any respect unless we had penises. Best Buy is really the only time/place where I am outright rude to people and don't care.
I have learned that going to Best Buy weekday afternoons is dead time, and they have basically a skeleton shift running the place. If there are a lot of people there the register wait is a little longer, but I find its not difficult to go through the aisles and not encounter any employees.
Anyway, yes, Lexar is a good choice. :)
True Story: I bought a Lexar Elite 256MB JumpDrive from Best Buy that I've been using. One day I forgot to take it out of my pants, so it went through the wash, and in a panic I plugged it into my PC, it worked perfectly, no problems at all.

Ultraviolet Light said:

AND one time I had a guy actually try to tell me that I couldn't put music on regular CD-Rs and had to buy the more expensive music CD-Rs. I told him I'd done it before and he told me no, they must have been music CD-Rs. We all but argued for 15 minutes before I just gave up and left.
Just thinking about it makes me want to scream. :scream:

Wow, just wow, he argued with you for 15 minutes. I can see trying to get the larger sale, but he just lost the sale completely. Back in my retail days, the first thing you learn is not to argue with a customer. Even if they are doing the dumbest thing in the world, try to talk them out of it once, and if they insist, let them do it.

Back
Top Bottom