Diego Maradona

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
babyman said:
Maradona is the personification of football

he is the personification of all that is bad in football!

wasted talent, abuse of talent, too much money, drugs, cheating, lack of pride and a total failure of his responsibility to the blind millions that adore him!

J_NP said:
He was a very good player , wouldn't say great , I would say that he was in the level of Cruyff or Platini for example , but for instance he's no match compared with the brazilians , besides he's has done so many bullshits in life , and I'm not talking' bout drugs.

Are you a complete idiot or what???? Your statement actually goes to show you know exactly nothing about Football. Diego Armando Maradona was THE greatest player that EVER played football. He was better than Pele. Maradona could do anything with a football. He carried the Argentinian team of 1986 to the World Cup single handedly. Had he not been in the team they would not have won the world cup. That is a certainty! Pele was a member of great teams. The 1970 Brazil team had a number of great players of which Pele was one. Also that can be said of the 1958 and 1962 teams of Brazil (Pele didn't even play in the 1962 team) but they still won the World Cup. Maradona not only inspired a very average Argentina team to win the World Cup in 1986 but also led Napoli in the Italian league to 2 titles which for a team like Napoli is a massive achievement.

So casting aside all his imperfections (drug taking, weight problems and the like) Maradona was the greatest player ever to play Football and if you knew anything about the beautiful game then you would probably realise this. This opinion comes from an English guy and not an Argentinian!:wink:

J_NP said:
Pele scored more than 1000 goals :ohmy: He won 3 cups for his country , plus the team of 70 is regarded as what would be in NBA the dream team , you

U really do nothing about Football. Pele was a member of the 1958 and 1970 World Cup teams. Check your history. He was injured in 1962!:wink:

1stepcloser said:
He's a tosser but he's still the greatest footballer ever.

Next.

See thats more like it. An opinion based on his footballing genius and not his personal life!

Pelé is the greatest, even Diego said it.

Pelé played in the 1962 team, your statement actually goes to show you know exactly nothing about Football.

guill said:

Pelé played in the 1962 team, your statement actually goes to show you know exactly nothing about Football.

Check your records he never played in the 1962 World Cup Final against Czech. He was injured in the group games.

guill said:

Here ya go font of all Football knowledge - Facts for you -

Bra - Eng quarter final 1962

BRA: Gilmar - D.Santos, Mauro (c), Zózimo, N.Santos - Zito, Garrincha - Didi,
Vavá, Amarildo, Zagalo

Bra - Chi Semi final 1962

BRA: Gilmar - D.Santos, Mauro (c), Zózimo, N.Santos - Zito, Garrincha,
Didi, Váva - Amarildo, Zagalo

Bra - CZE Final 1962

BRA: Gilmar - D. Santos, N. Santos, Zito - Mauro (c), Zózimo, Garrincha,
Didi - Vavá, Amarildo, Zagalo

Mmmm I see that pele is missing from these lineups, he played only 2 of the group games and didn't appear after that.
Pele had little influence on the 1962 World Cup as he was injured in the 2nd group game and never played after that in the 1962 World Cup and yet Brazil still went on to win the World Cup in 1962, hardly say that he inspired Brazil in 1962. As you see above I have included the Brazil team line-ups for you from the QF onwards so you can see that you indeed are also lacking in Football knowledge!

Dude Pele was only left for the finals of 62 coz he was injured .

Besides you say that Pele wasn't the best player , and I AM THE idiot ? So Funny this forum these says

I can only say in your behalf you never saw Pele or any other brazilians of that golden age , now if you insist that Maradona was better it's your problem , your opinion , next time you go on call a person a idiot , look at the mirror

Since u are so crazy about stats and all , why don't u go check here some facts........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pele

And also if u're looking to a possible 2nd best , and also the man who won the cup of 62 for brazil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrincha

And finally look at this quote from this page

Pele was the best but Garrincha was better. Pele was a machine, Garrincha was an artist. Garrincha was Stanley Matthews, Tom Finney and a snake charmer all rolled into one.

Funny how they put other argentinians in these lines , isn't it .

Just wondering: Why is this completely soccer-related thread here, and not in Put Em' Under Pressure? It ceased being U2-related after the very first post.:confused:

J_NP said:
Dude Pele was only left for the finals of 62 coz he was injured .

Besides you say that Pele wasn't the best player , and I AM THE idiot ? So Funny this forum these says

I can only say in your behalf you never saw Pele or any other brazilians of that golden age , now if you insist that Maradona was better it's your problem , your opinion , next time you go on call a person a idiot , look at the mirror

Pele was a great player whose arguing about that. What I am saying is that your quote saying Maradona wasn't on a level with him which is crap. The only reason you and a lot of others base this argument is cos Pele was a better person in his private life and Maradona compared to Pele was the antichrist. It has nothing to do with Football or Maradonas talent. If you compare the two players footballing wise then they are 2 of the greatest players ever but in my opinion Maradona is the greatest I have ever seen. He could run with the ball and beat players like no other footballer the game has seen.

I was mentioning the 1962 World Cup and Pele wasn't involved after the group games cos you were stating Pele had a massive influence on their 3 World Cup wins when in fact he wasn't much of an influence in 1962. Also in 1970 the Brazil team was a fantastic team and not totally reliant on Pele whereas the Argentinian team of 1986 was TOTALLY reliant on Maradona, they were very average without him and would not have won that World Cup. I don't think you can say that about the Brazil teams of 1958 and 1970 and it was kinda proved in 1962 when Pele was missing for most of the tournament yet they still won the World Cup.

See its all in your post. You have this 'nothing is better than a Brazilian player' attitude and this actually blinds your reasoning. If you take away the nationality of the players then you would probably think differently OR if Maradona was Brazilian then he would have been the best thing since sliced bread. Me, on the other hand, base my opinion of what I see and not the nationality of the players and am not obsessed with everything Brazilian!:wink:

biff said:
Just wondering: Why is this completely soccer-related thread here, and not in Put Em' Under Pressure? It ceased being U2-related after the very first post.:confused:

What the fuc# is Soccer????? It is Football! Played the world over and called FOOTBALL the World over EXCEPT in the USA where they INVENT their own sports (American Rugby football what the fuc# is it????) cos they can't play any of the Worlds PROPER sports. Get it right....its Football......invented in England....played the World over!!!!!!!:wink:

Dude when I said compared to Brazilian I think everybody except understood I was saying the Top braz , I' meant the elite of that country , the greatests of Brazil like Pele , Garrincha , Zico , Rivelino and nowadays Ronaldinho . Got it now ?

And about this discussion , like I said it's nowhere , I'm sorry but I think everyone agrees on this , though you've only seen Maradona play and it's hard to u have a small idea of what Pele was able to do , this discussion is completely pointless , coz I think almost the whole world agree that Pele was out of this place , that man wasn't from earth , so therefore it's pointless to compare him with any other player , coz Pele was in a totally different level , it was like I said , like he was from other world . I no different from those believe in this way , So if were to compare Maradona with someone , in this case a fantastic u would have to go with someone like Garrincha , though again I believe Garrincha was better coz this man was crazy , he was what we can call a showman or other like Zico or other .

Though again that's my opinion I believe the best brazilian or other europeans which I quoted before are what I can say ' more complete ' than Maradona , Maradona was awesome , but like I never saw him making a great goal or any like great play with his right leg .

About the 70 team , yeah sure like I said it was like a dream team , but dude believe go ask any of them , or read what they say , though it was indeed a awesome team , it wouldn't be the half of it without their shirt n#10 . I don't recall any of the goals without Pele , specially on the tough games Pele was always vital on the goals .

And about the 58 team , without Pele and Garrincha , that team was still good but very away from brilliant , besides what tradition Brazil had then at that time ? What makes even greater the role of Pele , specially for someone that was only 17 at that time.

Last edited:
J_NP said:
Maradona was awesome , but like I never saw him making a great goal or any like great play with his right leg .

Does this really matter? If he's got SO much talent in his left foot does he need to use his right? For instance, take his 2nd goal against England in the 1986 World Cup (which is, by the way, a goal that Pele would never have been able to score), he beat about 6 different players and rounded the 'keeper running down the right hand side of the pitch. He was that good that he didn't need to use his right foot.

I don't like the guy but he's the most talented footballer i've ever seen play. He also pretty much single handedly won the world cup for Argentina that year. Despite his drug prblems it doesn't surprise me he is held in such esteem in his home country. Pele was a great player but Maradona was at a level where no other player has reached since i think.

Also Pele never proved himself in Europe's top leagues whereas Maradona proved himself in Intaly and Spain.

roy keane said:
No , Diego never said Pele was the greatest. Where did you hear that

"Pelé is the greatest and he knows it but sometimes he should do more for football and less for business"
Maradona in France Football

rjhbonovox said:
(Pele didn't even play in the 1962 team)

rjhbonovox said:

Check your records he never played in the 1962 World Cup Final against Czech. He was injured in the group games.

rjhbonovox said:
he played only 2 of the group games and didn't appear after that.

Ok dude, so he played in the 1962 team as i said in my first post and he even scored 1 goal in the first match.

1stepcloser said:

For instance, take his 2nd goal against England in the 1986 World Cup (which is, by the way, a goal that Pele would never have been able to score)

Maradona was at a level where no other player has reached since i think.

Also Pele never proved himself in Europe's top leagues whereas Maradona proved himself in Intaly and Spain.

Dude this ur 1st comment is so ...... that is needless to comment , I only say a thing U've never seen a full game of Pele , or have only seen few of his goals , geez I don't even why I'm arguing it's so needless , and more Dude why don't you go for anyone , anyone who really understands football in ur country , go anyone , anybody from sports , ask Beckham , Owen , Scholes , Seaman anyone , pick only ONE , only one who says that Pele wasn't outta of this world .

I got it , and is pretty reasonable that u still have a kinda trauma coz of that goal he made 'gainst england but , dude Sweeden , Italian and so many other I could go on say still have nightmares with Edson Arantes ......

And about that so impossible goal , dude didn't you ever seen Ronaldo play at Barcelona ? or also Romario , check the history of their goals there , it's countless the number of goals like that , Ronaldo once passed by 7-8 guys I believe against Celta de Vigo . A player of ur country himself , Owen I'm sure He did something like as well.

About this 2nd line, about level and all , dude do urself a favor and go see some good football , watch for a change a game of Barcelona , and pay attention to a ' certain number 10 '

That's I'm off this topic , it's needless to argue bout somethin like this , besides I've said pretty much everything i had already

In 2000, France Football organized the "super ballon d'or", the magazine asked all the winners to give the top 5 of the greatest players in history.
The voters were di stefano, kopa, suarez, masoput, law, eusebio, charlton, albert, rivera, muller, cruyff, beckenbauer, blokhine, simonsen, keegan, rummenige, rossi, platini, belanov, gullit, van basten, matthaus, papin, baggio, stoitchkov, weah, sammer, ronaldo, zidane, rivaldo

results :

1 Pelé 112 pts
2 Maradona 65 pts
3 Cruyff 62 pts
4 Di Stefano 44 pts
5 Beckenbauer, Platini 40 pts
7 Puskas
8 Van Basten
9 Zico
10 Yachine, Muller
12 Garrincha, Best, Francescoli
15 Gordillo
16 Charlton
17 Romario
18 Kopa, Blokhine, Baggio, Zoff, Fontaine, Walter
24 Milla

Di Stefano, Baggio and Zidane voted Maradona for number 1

Kopa, Masoput, Albert, Rivera, Beckenbauer, Blokhine, Simonsen, Keegan, Rummenigge, Rossi, Platini, Van Basten, Papin, Stoitchkov, Weah and Rivaldo voted Pele for number 1.

CKONE said:

he is the personification of all that is bad in football!

wasted talent, abuse of talent, too much money, drugs, cheating, lack of pride and a total failure of his responsibility to the blind millions that adore him!

This concerns to his life, but not to his football career. You can take all the drugs you want, but you can never do what Maradona did if you don't have football in your blood. Taking drugs doesn't let you make the goals he scored, he's a giftet talent. As a man you can throw on him all the shit you want, but not as a player, please

guill said:
In 2000, France Football organized the "super ballon d'or", the magazine asked all the winners to give the top 5 of the greatest players in history.
The voters were di stefano, kopa, suarez, masoput, law, eusebio, charlton, albert, rivera, muller, cruyff, beckenbauer, blokhine, simonsen, keegan, rummenige, rossi, platini, belanov, gullit, van basten, matthaus, papin, baggio, stoitchkov, weah, sammer, ronaldo, zidane, rivaldo

results :

1 Pelé 112 pts
2 Maradona 65 pts
3 Cruyff 62 pts
4 Di Stefano 44 pts
7 Puskas
8 Van Basten
9 Zico
10 Yachine, Muller
15 Gordillo
16 Charlton
17 Romario
24 Milla

Kopa, Masoput, Albert, Rivera, Beckenbauer, Blokhine, Simonsen, Keegan, Rummenigge, Rossi, Platini, Van Basten, Papin, Stoitchkov, Weah and Rivaldo voted Pele for number 1.

Now, these are probably the only voters who make sense, and this is the only list that really makes sense

Last edited:
1stepcloser said:

Does this really matter? If he's got SO much talent in his left foot does he need to use his right? For instance, take his 2nd goal against England in the 1986 World Cup (which is, by the way, a goal that Pele would never have been able to score), he beat about 6 different players and rounded the 'keeper running down the right hand side of the pitch. He was that good that he didn't need to use his right foot.

I don't like the guy but he's the most talented footballer i've ever seen play. He also pretty much single handedly won the world cup for Argentina that year. Despite his drug prblems it doesn't surprise me he is held in such esteem in his home country. Pele was a great player but Maradona was at a level where no other player has reached since i think.

Yep abso-bloody-lutely. He may have been one footed but by christ was that left foot good! He not only scored individual goals against England in that World Cup but also did the same against Belgium in the Semi Final. I have never ever seen a player where the ball seems to stick to his foot like Maradona. He was better than Pele as an indiviual player, there is no question. Pele didn't have the same ability to beat players like Maradona. The people that say Pele was the greatest player and better than Maradona are only stating that view cos Pele was before Maradona and more importantly to their opinion Pele was also a saint compared to Maradona. They think that how can you call a guy that has been a drug addict and caught by a positive drug test in a World Cup, the best player ever. But whatever Maradonas demons he was the greatest player ever to grace the game of Football.

Also people forget that Maradona also single handedly dragged Argentina to the World Cup Final again in 1990. I remember against brazil in the 2nd round with about 5 minutes to go, he had one piece of brilliance where he beat 2 or 3 players before releasing Caniggia to score the only goal of the game. An absolute genius.

In the 1994 World Cup, after Maradona had been suspended, Argentina got knocked out in the 2nd round by Romania...... kinda missed him then, don't ya think!

Some comments make me think that a few don't even know the physiognomy of Maradona.........................................:shrug:

Download a couple of things from the internet of him and learn what for a player Maradona was................:tsk:

Oh Christ that's the last time I say I'm off a topic and I come back to it .

Only some few comments :
1- Brazil's 90 team was probably one of their worst in these last cups , it was far from brilliant , besides not tryin again say that Diego wasn't the best person on earth but the same Maradona admitted last year in very provocative way , almost insulting to the brazilian in a argentina channel that they put some kind of water to the brazilian drink that left them kind of 'slow and sleepy' .

2-What is this lack of arguments ???? say that Pele is considered the best juz coz he was a great guy and into fair play unlike Maradona .... :|

3-Again I dont know why I am saying again this , somethin is obvious to the planet , except for a country and a couple of persons , but I'm do it anyway , people who talk about download some games , I only ask you something if have somehow the chance , watch a FULL GAME of Pele specially between 58-62 , then I wanna say u say some comments like this again .

That's it , I'm really off now , have your fun children ........

J-NP, you can't compare Pele and Maradona, 2 different players and 2 very different football epochs. They never played together, they never played against each other and most of all Pele never played in a european country. There can't be any comparision among this 2 players. They're the 2 best players that the world has ever had, but different. You can't start idolizing Pele and bashing down Maradona, it's a bit exaggerated..............

PS: Try to discuss peaceful and calm, without cursing talking just about football, it's only football ;)

guill said:

results :

1 Pelé 112 pts
2 Maradona 65 pts
3 Cruyff 62 pts
4 Di Stefano 44 pts
7 Puskas
8 Van Basten
9 Zico
10 Yachine, Muller
15 Gordillo
16 Charlton
17 Romario
24 Milla

Excellent list :yes: but I'd rank Cruyff above Diego Armando Maradona :wave:

Back
Top Bottom