Die Hard Trilogy vs. The Bourne Trilogy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which is better

• Die Hard

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Bourne

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
Stolen directly from rottentomatoes:

Which trilogy of action flicks are "better". It's an interesting comparison. Each trilogy sort of defined their respective eras as far as balls-to-the-wall action films go with an iconic star in the lead.

Having just finally seen The Bourne Ultimatum, I can safely say I prefer the Bourne films as on a whole, despite the original Die Hard being one of the best actions movies in the past couple decades.

Here's how I break them down.

Die Hard - 9
Die Hard 2 - 4
Die Hard with a Vengeance - 6.5

The Bourne Identity - 9
The Bourne Supremecy - 7
The Bourne Ultimatum - 8

Please discount Live Free or Die Hard when voting.

I think it's kind of apples and oranges.

The Die Hard trilogy is about the action and those carrying it out.

The Bourne trilogy is far more psychological, and has far more 'thriller' aspects to it. The story in Bourne is deeper than that of Die Hard.

The Die Hard films are about an action hero who always ends up in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The Bourne films are about a deeply troubled man who is trained to kill people but doesn't know why he's trained to kill people.

The Bourne trilogy basically tells one story over three films. The first and third Die Hard films are connected, but in such a way that you don't neccessarily need to see one to get the other, and the second has nothing to do with either.

I love both trilogies, but it's hard to compare.

But if I had to pick one single film, it would be Die Hard With A Vengeance. It's one of my favorite action films of all time. I think Willis and Jackson were just explosive together.

Bourne , easy

I grew up watching and very much disliking
Die Hard movies, with Bourne I was actually intrigued with the storyline and fascinated by the action. I don't have any deep thoughts regarding this because I admit to being biased because Die Hard movies are torture for me to watch.

Yes, but this sub-forum has apparently become Lance's personal blog, so we must adhere to his opinions.

I'm asking you to discount DH4 because of two reasons:

1. To keep the # of films even

2. To maintain the generational gap

Both of which make for a more reasonable comparison.

PlaTheGreat said:
Yes, but this sub-forum has apparently become Lance's personal blog, so we must adhere to his opinions.

Yeah, sorry I try to offer discussions more interesting than "Britney Spears shaves her head again! How does this affect your life!?"

:rolleyes:

I'll agree with namkcuR !! :up:

Although for me, I never watched any of the Bourne films until one day a friend of mine wanted to go and see The Bourne Ultimatum.
I asked just exactly what is this movie about ?? And when they explained how it was a continuation from the original and 2nd sequel ...
I explained how I never saw those movies.

Well, needless to say ... I watched the first 2 Bourne films before finally seeing that Ultimatum flick. I really enjoyed the Bourne series and I hope they continue it. It's very action-packed and has alot of surprising and thrilling adventures in the overall plot.

But to me, nothing can compare as better than Willis in those Die Hard films. I think he was truly an action hero. The Die Hard films were more expanded on showing us how terrorists can use knowledge and certain information to plan overall attacks. I really, really was overjoyed when Willis would 'foil their plans' and GET THEM in the end.

And as for NOT including Die Hard #4 "Live Free or Die Hard" in the poll ... that's not fair. Just because the Bourne films are only a trilogy series, where the Die Hard ones are a quadalogy series ... that's simple, it could be the fact that Die Hard was released in 1988 where Bourne started in 2002 before any sequels took place.

So again, Live Free or Die Hard shouldn't be disqualified because it's the fourth saga ... I would include it. As it could be compared to the Bourne Ultimatum because both storylines/plots were developed from our present time.

And to me, that 4th installment was absolutely the clincher as to WHY the Die Hard series is the BEST so far !! :bow:

I still haven't seen Die Hard 4. I didn't, and still don't feel like giving my money to anyone involved in making it, so I'll probably just watch it online some time.

As it stands, I still don't believe it should be included in the comparison, for reasons I already stated.

Originally posted by Lancemc
As it stands, I still don't believe it should be included in the comparison, for reasons I already stated
And again, here's WHY "Live Free or Die Hard" SHOULD be included ...
Originally posted by MsMofoGone
As it could be compared to the Bourne Ultimatum because both storylines/plots were developed from our present time.

But just to elaborate,

The original Die Hard is an amazing film. Commanding performances by both Willis and Rickman, with a real chemistry between them. The action was memorable and well choreographed, and the pacing kept things taught without being overwhelming. And the best part about it, and where the two sequels fail miserably, Die Hard's script was tight, lean, and told a unique story with the right amount of humor, while adhering to its own internal logic.

Die Hard 2 was just plain bad, and Die Hard 3 has several huge flaws that personally keep it out of the "Good" area of my rating gauge.

As for Bourne,

The Bourne Identity remains one of my favorite action or espionage films ever made. Everything was in perfect balance, much like Die Hard, and introduced a fascinating new spy Universe that was driven by visceral, imaginative, and grounded action. It was also a beautiful film to watch, which was lost in Greengrass's sequels.

But unlike the Die Hard sequels, the Bourne series remained grounded in its own sensibilities, even if the second film suffered from a messy script. the consistancy undoubtedly owes a lot to the source material, but regardless of the reasons, it's still a more solid franchise as a whole. As seen by my score, I easily regard The Identity as the best of the trilogy, but The Ultimatum was a remarkably thrilling and decently satisfying conclusion.

Bourne wins for me, if only for the greater consistency and more admirable filmmaking in later installments.

I'd go with Die Hard. The action is ridiculous in both. While Die Hard contains some cheesy dialogue and self-conscious heroism, especially in the newest one, I just find Maclaine to be more enjoyable and emotionally thrilling. I just don't care too much about the overly serious, emotionless Bourne. I just don't find the Bourne films as much fun and somewhat repetitive in that I never sympathize with Bourne the way I do Maclaine.

Then again, my first (and one of my few) diary entry at age 8 in the late 80s was about watching Die Hard with my family when my father came home to be with us for a brief period away from work. So, the franchise always reminds me of us all hudled together in front of the TV, which we don't do as often anymore.

I'm not a huge fan of either franchise, but my big brother loves both, so it's all good.

Last edited:
It's also (completely not) worth noting that Jason Bourne could totally kick John McClane's ass in any situation. :wink:

Lancemc said:
It's also (completely not) worth noting that Jason Bourne could totally kick John McClane's ass in any situation. :wink:
What!? Well......(searches for comeback)...McClaine is more fun to be around.....a-a-AND he has the ability to jump out of the range of explosions in the nick of time. Maclaine also shoots first, while Bourne would worry about his existential place in life... Bourne also volunteered for an evil program in the first place, while MacClaine runs into trouble. Therefore, Maclaine is more likely to go to heaven and have God on his side.

Hehe.

Very true, except for the shooting first. You know damn well Jason Bourne has near super-human reflexes. :wink:

Lancemc said:
Hehe.

Very true, except for the shooting first. You know damn well Jason Bourne has near super-human reflexes. :wink:
Ah, you got me there... but Maclaine could frighten him with his attitude and threats! Yippee kayay! Bourne would either be frightened or midly seduced by his outrageousness. :)

Bourne would probably assess him as a madman, then proceed to kill him with the nearest hardbound book.

Lancemc said:
Bourne would probably assess him as a madman, then proceed to kill him with the nearest hardbound book.
He'd feel sorry for him and walk away, as Maclaine lay drenched in blood from a beating Bourne had given him, and then MacClaine would shout and yell and get the drop on him.

It's been fun, Lancemc. I have to get down to some schoolwork now, or maybe sleep. Take care!

This is the dumbest poll thread since my "The Edge vs. Eddie van Halen" comparison.

Lancemc said:

Yeah, sorry I try to offer discussions more interesting than "Britney Spears shaves her head again! How does this affect your life!?"

:rolleyes:

Are there any other belated birthday presents you are ready to post about? :cute:

I enjoy both, but I'd give a slight nudge to Die Hard. It gave the idea so many of the action movies later copied, and a more real and relatable character in McClane. No. 1 and 3 (the best script I've ever seen in action movies) are still at the top of action movies. It could be said both films "sell" the same idea 3 times but do so intelligently.

Though I think a James Bond movies/Bourne (Mission:impossible) movies comparison may be better, since they're both spy thriller movies more than straight action movies.

the bourne identity was baaaad ass... and i fully enjoyed the bourne supremecy as well. the bourne ultimatum? not so much. it was alright, but i thought the ending was just silly.

now there are a bunch of things in the die hard movies that are silly. the difference, of course, is that there are supposed to be silly things in the die hard movies, where as the bourne movies are supposed to be more real.

die hard gets the nod.

plus, live free or die hard was just so bad ass that die hard gets bonus points, even though i was told not to count. i need to count it... it was f'ing awesome.

Back
Top Bottom