Did Chris Martin get plastic surgery at some point?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bread n' whine

The Fly
Ever seen very early college pictures of Coldplay? Ever seen the "Shiver" video?

Yes, he has brilliant stylists and photoshoppers. Yes, he cuts his hair differently. Yes, it was a huge improvement. Yes, he was sorta cute to begin with in a completely different way. Well, if you're a girl at least. Yes, when he turns his face sideways and catches the lights and the cameras the wrong way he still looks like a pretty fucking ordinary (shall we even say "sexy ugly"? or even forget the "sexy"?) bloke.

But... this man has low self esteem. He does. I feel insecure many of the same ways he does, so I won't knock it. But he has a very different life... and now, a different looking face, even if it's just thanks to those stylists. This is a serious psychological condition he has, and once he was flush with cash, it could have compelled him to do things he later regretted. He is fundamentally a dull person, but that monolithic insecurity is what makes him interesting to me, someone to pity and empathize with rather than jeer at (though that's fun too).

I'm no expert, pathologically uninterested in celebrities and their features most of the time which is why I cant put this in that forum. But no matter how bad his music gets, it feels like this is a guy I understand. I'm sure he hates the idea of surgical jobs (fan of "Fake Plastic Trees" that he is) but looking at those old photos it's just hard to believe this is the same face. Even the new photos where he looks similarly un-special or his hair is not in the ultra-short show-my-brilliant-cheekbones mode, he just looks quite different.

What do you think?

Oh, and if you dont believe about the self esteem... he was a virgin till age 22. The Chris Martin "please like me" persona is not a ploy.

bread n' whine said:
Oh, and if you dont believe about the self esteem... he was a virgin till age 22. The Chris Martin "please like me" persona is not a ploy.

Interesting that losing your virginity at an age slightly above the average is interpreted as a sign of low self-esteem.

Many would argue the opposite.

Can I get some visual evidence? :)

I can't be bothered to go looking for pix, I'm not *that* interested, just a tad curious ;)

20040426_chris_martin.jpg

chris.martin2-thumb.jpg

bread n' whine said:
Oh, and if you dont believe about the self esteem... he was a virgin till age 22.

Please don't view this as me siding with Chris Martin in any way, but could you tell me why being a virgin until the age of 22 is indicative of low self esteem?

a lot of people would argue losing your virginity at a younger age (i'm talking 14ish) might show some signs of low self esteem. at least in the pics provided, all i can tell is the man got a buzz cut and grew some stubble.

I think this is all a result of "Everybody looks better when their second album comes out and they've now got money to pay professional stylists, trainers, etc."

HeartlandGirl said:
I think this is all a result of "Everybody looks better when their second album comes out and they've now got money to pay professional stylists, trainers, etc."

Indeed. Plus, his wife is Gweneth Patrow. I have a feeling she probably isnt going to put up with the "un-fashionable" look.

Chris Martin is the next Jacko.

Who gets plastic surgery? That makes me hate Coldplay even more. I bet he heard Bono got plastic surgery and did it too since everything he does is fashioned after Bono.

Yeah, one day, we're all going to be telling our kids about how Chris Martin used to be white.

At least his image has evolved in harmony with the progression of depth in his music.

:shh:

~full-on arbitrary post

Last edited:
Two of my older brothers were quite fugly in high school but by the time they were in their early '20s all my friends thought they were hot stuff and would act all giggly around them. Neither of them had plastic surgery. Some guys just get better looking when they mature a little, lose the acne, etc.

As far as Chris Martin, I guess I might consider him sort of attractive if he didn't have such a drippy personality (runs and hides from CM lovers).

the virgin comment... let's put it this way, it wasn't because he was a Christian or he didnt feel ready or didn't WANT to do it, if the band bio I skimmed is accurate. Chris Martin did grow up Christian, and there's even some evidence of that on Parachutes lyrics, but judging from all interviews I read he was past the fundamentalist stage by the time he hit 21/22 and started the band-- it's quite obvious he has some sort of wishy washy new age beliefs these days from his lyrics.

I'm not making fun of him for being a virgin at 22. And I shouldnt have said that indicates low self esteem. What I meant is, given his (lack of) reasons for remaining a virgin, the fact that he was one at that age probably exacerbated his already low self esteem, whereas it wouldn't have if he had had a religious belief against sex before marriage.

And this fix-up would have happened a long time before the third album. Sometime in 2000, probably.

Now tell me, does the man/boy in the first set of pictures look like the one in the second?

BEFORE

20040426_chris_martin.jpg

scroll down a bit to watch the "Shiver" video (this video is incredibly amateur, for something directed by Grant Gee of Radiohead fame. It looks like home video footage of Coldplay standing around in a room playing the song. You get a lot of opportunity to notice Martin's face.)

AFTER

any picture from 2001 to now, however styled (the X&Y magazine covers) or unstyled (that other one someone posted in this thread). as I said sometimes he looks like a pinup in these and sometimes he's not so slicked up and blandly attractive, but it's always recognizeable as the same face.

Last edited:
I think he just looks as if he's matured a bit. I don't see a radical difference.

Back
Top Bottom