did anyone hear that interview on O & A today with the methadone junkie from Pantera?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Wanderer

Kid A
did anyone hear that interview on O & A today with the methadone junkie from Pantera?

I was listening to the O & A show today, they were at Oz Fest interviewing various people, and this guy from Pantera came up to be interviewed and he was just completely wasted and in la la land, he didnt even realize they were making fun of him the whole time, my god, I understand how people get hooked on smack physiologically and psychologically, but why start? what's the appeal to being comatose and incoherent? I mean this guy was barely functional, he could barely put together a sentence and had trouble walking ten feet away to the door after the interview, he was an absolute fucking zombie

it seems that of all the drugs out there, with amphetamines give the user the supreme rush, MDMA brings euphoria and the hallucinogenics are visual and stimulate the senses (not that they can sense anything to do with reality, but that's another story!)l, but this brings me to my ultimate point, what do analgesic drugs like heroin, morphine and methadone accomplish?? now this guy from Pantera talked about how methadone (which is a weaker version of heroin) actually saved his life because it helped him get off heroin, which before when he was on it prevented him from even leaving his house, now he says at least he can play guitar in concert and journey out into public

why do so many rock stars end up on heroin? does it have something to do with the nervousness and anxiety of being on stage constantly, and trying to escape and kill that tension?? why is heroin so often the drug of choice for rock stars, and even the ones that do coke usually do heroin too

I think people start using because they are in pain and heroin makes them feel comfortably numb. It kills the pain and they dont feel anything and they dont have to face it. Why are there so many rockstar junkies? The only reason I can come up with is that it is readily available and an unfortunate part of most local music scenes. Thats how it is in Seattle, at least.

because as they do drugs throughout their lives they need something stonger and then stronger then even stronger so they end up on H.

when you say "pain" you mean emotional/psychological pain? I guess there's not much point in trying to make sense of it, I just wondered why so many musicians, some of which turn out to be rock stars, go down the heroin path? it seems they could pick any drug, why pick this one? just trying to make sense of something senseless...

with that interview today, and watching something about Kurt Kobain and Courtney Love and their heroin addictions, and of course Layne Staley of Alice in Chains was a long-time junkie who died recently (rotted away in his house for a couple of weeks before anyone noticed, but it wasnt unusual for him to stay locked up in his house and not be heard of for weeks and weeks)

well that's the standard line of thought, U2ME3, but in many cases this is the drug that they take up from the start, they skip the rest and go straight for their own jugular, these arent guys who start doing recreational drugs at age 17 and 20 years later have worked their way up to heroin, I guess what calluna said about them being around it, in that environment, and being young and stupid...

I guess I meant emotional/psychological pain. Layne Staley's spirit died long before his physical body did. As for Kurt and Courtney, heroin was the in-drug in the nineties and it was ridiculously easy to score on the streets of Seattle. Kurt obviously had issues that he was trying to avoid dealing with and I guess they just got caught up in it.

And U2ME3, I really dont buy that old line they try to hand us that any recreational drug use will lead to harder drugs in the future. That has not been the case with myself and many other people I know. There is just a certain type of person that knows when to say enough and other more addictive personalities that cant or wont say it.

Calluna said:

And U2ME3, I really dont buy that old line they try to hand us that any recreational drug use will lead to harder drugs in the future. That has not been the case with myself and many other people I know. There is just a certain type of person that knows when to say enough and other more addictive personalities that cant or wont say it.

I have seen it in friends though. A good friend of mine watched his brother go from blow to the needle, and went through 5 years of hell with him and possibly still is. Then he ( a drinker and avid weed smoker) started snorting coke when weed got boring and blamed it on beer making him tired. Then he went from coke to crank, and he uses crank every 2 weeks during the week so his girl wont bust him on the weekends. Like she wont notice him losing 20 pounds from not eating or sleeping for 4 days.

My arguement with him was how could he even touch the stuff after all that happened to his brother. And I even used to tell him (he is a believer) that Jesus turned water into wine and not leaves into powder when he would try and turn the arguement around towards me drinking.

Well I wash my hands of it, and yes I drink and have another friend who is mid 20's and lives at home with no job and drinks a case+ of beer every day.

I dunno what makes people so addicted, but outside of moderation any drug or substance is just a foot in the grave.

Back
Top Bottom