Detestable music genre's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:
Except when you eliminate rap.

Partly because it shouldn't be considered music in the first place.

Strongly disagree-rap (and hip-hop) can be a very valid, important form of music. Some good political messages, there's some rap songs that I can think of that have a sort of poetic tone lyrically, there's some catchy, fun rap/hip-hop songs. Sure, a lot of songs talk about drugs and women and stuff like that-that's what a lot of rappers have grown up dealing with. They rap about the environment in which they've lived. It may not be pretty, but it can still be worth listening to.

Yeah, I'm with those who don't agree with totally dismissing an entire genre of music. Sure, there's some genres I don't listen to as much as others, but there's good and bad stuff in all genres. And all genres should be considered valid musical forms.

Angela

Just because of a few crappy contemporary hip hop artists like 50 Cent :mad: (personal opinion), you absolutely cannot put down the whole genre! I'm not a big fan of the genre myself but in the past I've enjoyed songs by Dr.Dre, TLC, Run DMC, Del The Funky Homosapien, House Of Pain, Rob Base among others! Even Kriss Kross' Jump though kinda annoying is a catchy little track from 1992.

I can't think of any genre of music where there isn't at least a few artists or songs I like, with the possible exception of bubblegum teen pop.

Anyone who dismisses entire genres are as closed minded as anyone who dismisses entire races, religions, or ethnic groups...

1. Rap is the result of under privileged urban kids who couldn't afford guitars and produced music by using what was available to them. Public Enemy, Disposable Heroes, Beastie Boys, Fugees have all made good music.

2. John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Billie Holiday...enough said.

3. Not a genre I listen to that much, but many have some of the most technical musicians around.

4. Tommy, Rent, Phantom you're going to dismiss all of them?

Ridiculous:|

Rap, country, pop(except u2's pop of course), and that today's rock music(i.e. bands like fall out boy and yellow card), and finally that screaming heavy metal rock where every song sounds the same

I can't think of any genre of music where there isn't at least a few artists or songs I like, with the possible exception of bubblegum teen pop.

See, I can't even join with you on that one, because I am a sucker for a catchy pop tune. I looooove me some guilty pleasure pop!

I don't care for the more free-form jazz, but I like big band and a lot of jazz vocalists like Ella Fitzgerald and her ilk.

Even rap ... while I know myself well enough to know I won't like a rap/hip hop album no matter how many critical raves it gets, I LOVE a great hip hop single. Kanye West's "Jesus Walks," Outkast "Bombs Over Baghdad" (to say nothing of the fabulous "Hey Ya," even though that's not really hip hop) ... I just love a good single.

That modern, soulless crap that passes as country these days, however ... I have no use for it. But I wouldn't dismiss country as a whole, because there's so much great, "real" stuff in its vaults.

For the most part, I hate rap too.

But both Kanye West and Outkast are absolutely fantastic. Their records are right at home in my collection and deal with things completely different from the usual rap fare (cars, rims, hos, money, da club, and narcotics)

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Anyone who dismisses entire genres are as closed minded as anyone who dismisses entire races, religions, or ethnic groups...

1. Rap is the result of under privileged urban kids who couldn't afford guitars and produced music by using what was available to them. Public Enemy, Disposable Heroes, Beastie Boys, Fugees have all made good music.

2. John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Billie Holiday...enough said.

3. Not a genre I listen to that much, but many have some of the most technical musicians around.

4. Tommy, Rent, Phantom you're going to dismiss all of them?

Ridiculous:|
in reply,
1 - Rap is 'music' born out of their enviroment?!? Yeah THEIR enviroment not mine therefore it means nothing to me.Beastie boys LOL are they for real? I always thought they were a piss take rap group.
2 - I just dont get jazz,sorry but i dont like it.
3 - Granted they are very talented musicians but again if you dont like the sound you dont like the sound!
4 - Tommy? dont make me laugh!!! WTF is that all about?? If you listen to musicals the music generally follows the same formular and ends up as 'just another Andrew Lloyd Webber/Tim Rice monstrosity.
As my original post said it is music I dont like.I have tried to listen to it but it aint for me i'm afraid.

trojanchick99 said:
Modern Country is horrid....

I totally agree with you about modern country:barf: it is awful :madspit:

I like most other types of music....:hmm:...except Jazz:madspit:

boystupidboy said:
1 - Rap is 'music' born out of their enviroment?!? Yeah THEIR enviroment not mine therefore it means nothing to me.Beastie boys LOL are they for real? I always thought they were a piss take rap group.

When I hear Licensed to Ill and To the 5 Boroughs back to back, it freaks me out. The Beastie Boys have changed radically since they first came out. I wish a lot of the rap artists/groups out there right now would stop talking solely about 'guns and bitches' (no matter how catchy they can be sometimes) and start including topics that are of slightly more significance.

Someone up there mentioned OutKast? :up: Much love for Stankonia. I love how Andre is so creative with his work (The Love Below vs. Speakerboxxx).

boystupidboy said:

in reply,
2 - I just dont get jazz,sorry but i dont like it.
3 - Granted they are very talented musicians but again if you dont like the sound you dont like the sound!
4 - Tommy? dont make me laugh!!! WTF is that all about?? If you listen to musicals the music generally follows the same formular and ends up as 'just another Andrew Lloyd Webber/Tim Rice monstrosity.
As my original post said it is music I dont like.I have tried to listen to it but it aint for me i'm afraid.

It's ok to not like something, but to write if off due to your crap generalizations and sell it as fact, is something completely different...it's just stupid.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I agree completely.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It's ok to not like something, but to write if off due to your crap generalizations and sell it as fact, is something completely different...it's just stupid.
At what point have i sold any of my comments as fact??? Its only my opinion ,no more no less.Isnt that what discussion forums are all about ?????

boystupidboy said:
1 - Rap is 'music' born out of their enviroment?!? Yeah THEIR enviroment not mine therefore it means nothing to me.

I must say that I can't relate all that well to the environment rappers grew up in, either-I've never lived in Compton, for example. However, I still enjoy some of the artists from the genre. Why? Because I get to hear about another person's lifestyle, I get to hear their stories, their views on things. And some of the songs are done in an interesting manner, they have a unique way of expressing themselves. Therefore, I can appreciate the rap genre.

Originally posted by boystupidboy
Beastie boys LOL are they for real? I always thought they were a piss take rap group.

Well, they've had a lot of respect from the rap community in general over the years, as well as the general public.

:shrug:. I dunno. That's just my response to that aspect of it all.

Angela

boystupidboy said:

At what point have i sold any of my comments as fact??? Its only my opinion ,no more no less.Isnt that what discussion forums are all about ?????

There's a big difference in speaking up about your opinion and the generalizations you spewed.

Not all rap/hip-hop is bad. I liked Eminem til I realized he's a grown man and still complaining about his childhood/spouse. If I wanted to hear that, I'd talk to my parents. :wink:

Anyway, jazz is good, I like Musicals to some extent. I listened to the CD for one of em and it sucked, but when you're there it's really cool.

There is one "genre" if you could call it that, which unequivocally blows. The whiney, formulated, poppy, manufactured, emo-ish, fake-indie punk rock...bands like Fall-Out Boy...most of my friends listen to them and think they're so indie and they're not...and when one of them goes on TRL, they disown them and pretend they're so shocked such an underground band would sell out like that. I told them that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard and I've heard some pretty stupid things. They think they're somehow superior cos I like U2 who are sellouts and not a real band, unlike their talented and unique bands.

:banghead: x infinity

oh and jam bands kinda annoy me for some reason, even though I like the Allman Brothers well enough. the whole thing seems kinda pretentious to me, although the music is good sometimes.

Last edited:
Originally posted by VertigoGal Not all rap/hip-hop is bad. I liked Eminem til I realized he's a grown man and still complaining about his childhood/spouse.

That;s one complaint I have about Eminem. I guess it was great the first time he wrote a song about it, but 2, or 3, albums later, it's just the same thing all over again. I guess the other would be that he's discovered his formula: release the song little kids will like as the first single.

boystupidboy said:

Beastie boys LOL are they for real? I always thought they were a piss take rap group.

I can understand your points about not liking certain genres on - fair enough, each to his/her own and all that. But I also have to agree that you can't simply diss EVERY single rap/hip-hop song or a whole genre surely?

Beasties have done several albums since Licensed to Ill, which I assume is what you based your comment on. They haven't been a "piss take rap group" for some time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom