Desert Island IV Album Game: Round 2, Match 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most!

• LemonMacPhisto

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • LemonMelon

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the seventh match of the second round of the Interference Desert Island Game IV! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

For every win, each player will receive three points. If there is a tie, each player gets two points. If a player loses a match but is within three votes of the winner, that player will earn a single point.

At the beginning of each round, I will include the updated standings. Remember, the top two from each group moves on to the quarterfinals.

The third match of Round 2 saw Cute Irish Bono notch her first victory by defeating Lancemc, 16-6.

And here is the battle of the Lemons, as LemonMacPhisto and LemonMelon square off in Match 7. Below are their playlists.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, feel free to check out the Desert Island website. :)

Forum name: LemonMacPhisto

picturekv3.jpg

THE MOST POLITICALLY INSIGHTFUL PLAYLIST THIS SIDE OF 'BATTLESTAR GALACTICA'

I’ve been working on this list for quite a bit of time now, but still don’t have too much to say about it. I really wanted to put something together that gelled, had a style and flair to it unlike my previous lists, while still being representative of my tastes. I’m all about cohesion on this one and trying to make each transition between songs sound effortless and deliberate. I started out with an idea for an over-arching theme and story, but ultimately abandoned it because it was too tedious and tenuously connected together. Any list should be about the songs within them; if you don’t like them, it doesn’t matter if it’s the most brilliantly concocted list ever, then it’s not worth it. While saying that, I hope you all enjoy my list, as I and my son and partner, H.W. Plainview, are looking forward to hearing yours as well. Also, the title and cover are both all in good fun, I do not want to be politically insightful nor drink anyone’s milkshake... it’s just my nature.

1. Bobby Womack - “Across 110th Street ” - Across 110th Street [SOUNDTRACK] (3:48)
2. James Brown - “Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine, Pt. 1” - Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine, Pt. 1 [SINGLE] (5:16)
3. The Miracles - “Love Machine Pt. 1” - Love Machine Pt. 1 [SINGLE] (3:02)
4. Prince & the Revolution - “Kiss” - Parade (3:46)
5. U2 - “Mysterious Ways - Achtung Baby (4:03)
6. R.E.M. - “Draggin’ the Line” - Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me [SOUNDTRACK] (4:27)
7. War - “Spill the Wine” - Eric Burdon Declares “War” (4:02)
8. Kenny Rogers & The First Edition - “Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)” - The First Edition (3:22)
9. OutKast - “Player’s Ball (Original Version)” - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik (4:13)
10. Hot Chocolate - “You Sexy Thing” - You Sexy Thing [SINGLE] (4:04)
11. Sly & The Family Stone - “Everyday People” - Stand! (2:22)
12. Al Green - “Let’s Stay Together” - Let's Stay Together (3:17)
13. Aimee Mann - “One” - Magnolia [SOUNDTRACK] (3:04)
14. Earth, Wind, & Fire - “That’s the Way of the World” - That’s the Way of the World (5:46)
15. Kanye West - “I Wonder” - Graduation (4:04)
16. Jon Brion - “Punch Drunk Melody” - Punch-Drunk Love [SOUNDTRACK] (1:43)
17. Blur - “To the End / La Comedie ( ft. Françoise Hardy)” - Country House [SINGLE] (5:04)
18. Miles Davis - “My Ship” - Miles Ahead (4:24)
19. The Flaming Lips - “Bad Days (Aurally Excited Version)” - Clouds Taste Metallic 4:38)
20. LCD Soundsystem - “ New York , I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down” - Sound of Silver (5:36)
21. Arcade Fire - “Black Mirror” - Neon Bible (4:13)
22. Pink Floyd - “One of These Days” - Meddle (5:15)
23. David Bowie - “Moonage Daydream” - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (4:40)
24. The Velvet Underground - “White Light / White Heat” - White Light / White Heat (2:48)
25. Three Dog Night - “Mama Told Me (Not to Come) - It Ain't Easy (3:16)
26. Sonic Youth - “Unmade Bed” - Sonic Nurse (3:54)
27. Led Zeppelin - “Going to California ” - Led Zeppelin IV (3:32)
28. Bob Dylan - “The Ballad of Ira Hayes” - Dylan (5:10)
29. She & Him - “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot” - Volume One (1:37)
30. The Killers - “Read My Mind (Like Rebel Diamonds Mix)” - Read My Mind [EP] (4:11)
31. Bruce Springsteen - “ Thunder Road ” - Born to Run (4:50)
32. The Who - “The Seeker” - The Seeker [SINGLE] (3:24)
33. Pixies - “Debaser” - Doolittle (2:53)
34. The Rolling Stones - “Tumbling Dice” - Exile on Main St . (3:47)
35. Faces - “Oh La La” - Oh La La (3:29)
36. Cat Stevens - “Peace Train” - Teaser and the Firecat (4:12)
37. Wilco - “Via Chicago” - Summerteeth (5:34)
38. Explosions in the Sky - “Your Hand in Mine (with strings)” - Friday Night Lights [SOUNDTRACK] (4:09)
39. The Beatles - “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” - Love (3:47)
40. Radiohead - “Weird Fishes / Arpeggi” - In Rainbows (5:18)

Total runtime: 159:44

Forum name: LemonMelon

The mid-life crisis is a topic that has been well-trodden within popular culture. Whether it be films like American Beauty or even in children's cartoons, age is always important issue. For some, aging is a horrifying experience, and for others it's simply taken in stride. In this playlist, the protagonist has pressed down the majority of these fears, but they pop up in a single night via a lengthy dream detailing his first summer after graduating high school; a period that is both giddy and terrifying. Starting out as a welcome shot of freedom from the daily grind he faces in his adult life, the dream gradually becomes more alienating and heartbreaking. Things turn around at the end when he gets his perspective straight, but not before learning some hard lessons that could have been easily avoided. Musically, the set is mammoth, featuring 44 songs of varying genres and time periods. These work together to tell the tale and create an atmosphere. It was a great task to put all of this together, so I hope you receive a ton of enjoyment out of it. Please refer to the programme and track listing below to help you more closely follow the plot.

(Track 1) Act 1: Dawn begins silently following an evening of celebratory debauchery. He is asleep, she is awake, watching the sun rise. High school has ended, and they will soon be completely on their own, with summer pressing in. Will it be spent fortifying their futures, or in more frivolous ways? She decides the former, and he is ambivalent. She gets up and walks away, out of his life, without his knowledge. It will be a rough morning.

(Track 2) Act 2: He awakes, and finds her gone. He is numb at the moment, but it will sink in shortly.

(Tracks 3-4) Act 3: As the song playing in his head fades, he quickly decides to continue on rather than to examine the cause of his sorrow any further. He goes out to run some errands on a beautiful summer day, which makes this easy, but he still remembers the good times on the way.

(Tracks 5-8) Act 4: During his time out, he finds someone new. His pain is masked even further, and he continues on with his week as if nothing happened.

(Tracks 9-10) Act 5: They date for a short time, only to end in a depressing breakup.

(Tracks 11-16) Act 6: He is strong, however, and his friends rally around him to make this time easier.

(Tracks 17-18) Act 7: The sadness is now gone. He begins looking for love once more, but cautiously, refusing to settle down for any length of time. He can finally live…or so he thinks.

(Tracks 19-20) Act 8: He goes on his usual summer vacation, forgetting all of his problems.

(Tracks 21-23) Act 9: He falls in love while there, but it all ends too soon.

(Tracks 24-29) Act 10: When he arrives back home, he finds summer is drawing to a close faster than he expected, and responsibility will soon be no longer optional. He is alone, and his friends are now nowhere to be found. He reflects on this, and grows sadder and more self-destructive.

(Tracks 30-32) Act 11: But, in his moment of deepest sadness, he meets a woman that changes his life. He is in love once more, but he has changed; no longer will he take for granted what has fallen in his lap.

(Tracks 33-40) Act 12: He finds out that they are going to different schools, and will soon be separated. However, instead of letting this get him down, he elects to grin and bear it, looking for the silver lining.

(Tracks 41-43) Act 13: After much reflection, he finally is at peace with the situation. It is now autumn, and it is time for him to move on with his life.

(Track 44) Act 14: He wakes up and finds it was all a dream. It is winter, hardly the summer paradise he remembers from his youth, which he still pines for, as evidenced by the dream he just had, but it was a necessary bit of catharsis, and he now appreciates what he has more than ever.

1. The Moody Blues – “Dawn: Dawn Is A Feeling” – Days Of Future Passed (3:49)
2. The Magic Numbers – “Mornings Eleven” – The Magic Numbers (5:32)
3. Prince – “Play In The Sunshine” – Sign O The Times (5:05)
4. XTC – “Grass” – Skylarking (3:06)
5. The Flaming Lips – “Buggin” – The Soft Bulletin (3:16)
6. The Velvet Underground – “Sweet Jane” – Loaded: Fully Loaded Edition (4:07)
7. Van Morrison – “Brown Eyed Girl” – Blowin’ Your Mind (3:03)
8. Supergrass – “Alright” – Supergrass Is 10: Best Of 1994-2004 (3:03)
9. Sly And The Family Stone – “Hot Fun In The Summertime” – The Essential Sly And The Family Stone (2:37)
10. Jimi Hendrix – “Wait Until Tomorrow” – Axis: Bold As Love (3:01)
11. Neil Young – “Cinnamon Girl” – Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (3:00)
12. Donovan – “Season Of The Witch” – Troubadour: The Definitive Collection, 1964-1976 (4:54)
13. The Smiths – “Cemetry Gates” – The Queen Is Dead (2:39)
14. Beck – “Jack-Ass” – Odelay (4:01)
15. The Shins – “One By One All Day” – Oh, Inverted World (4:08)
16. Led Zeppelin – “Dancing Days” – Houses Of The Holy (3:42)
17. Paul McCartney – “That Would Be Something” – McCartney (2:37)
18. De La Soul – “Eye Know” – 3 Feet High And Rising (4:12)
19. Weezer – “Surf Wax America” – Weezer (1994) (3:06)
20. The Streets – “Fit But You Know It” – A Grand Don’t Come For Free (4:10)
21. Stevie Wonder – “Don’t You Worry ‘Bout A Thing” – Innervisions (4:45)
22. The Pixies – “Here Comes Your Man” – Wave Of Mutilation: Best Of Pixies (3:21)
23. The Zombies – “Time Of The Season” – Odessey And Oracle (3:31)
24. R.E.M. – “Country Feedback” – Out Of Time (4:05)
25. U2 – “Staring At The Sun” – Pop (4:36)
26. Pink Floyd – “Summer ‘68” – Atom Heart Mother (5:29)
27. Mason Williams – “Classical Gas” – The Mason Williams Phonograph Record (3:03)
28. Love – “Alone Again Or” – Forever Changes (3:14)
29. Jefferson Airplane – “White Rabbit” – Hits (2:31)
30. Neil Diamond – “Sweet Caroline” – Gold (3:18)
31. Spoon – “You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb” – GaGaGaGaGa (3:08)
32. The Beach Boys – “All Summer Long” – The Greatest Hits Vol. 2: 20 More Good Vibrations (2:05)
33. Blur - “Badhead” - Parklife (3:25)
34. Radiohead - “All I Need” - In Rainbows (3:47)
35. No Doubt - “Simple Kind Of Life” - Return Of Saturn (4:16)
36. Bob Dylan - “You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go” - Blood On The Tracks (2:52)
37. The Kinks – “Big Sky” – Village Green Preservation Society (2:52)
38. The Beatles – “Rain” – Past Masters, Vol. II (3:01)
39. The Rolling Stones - "Love In Vain" - Let It Bleed (4:19)
40. The Who – “Love Ain’t For Keeping” – Who’s Next (2:10)
41. Oasis – “Who Feels Love?” – Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants (5:43)
42. Pulp – “The Trees” – We Love Life (4:47)
43. Al Stewart – “End Of The Day” – Time Passages (3:09)
44. The Mamas & The Papas – “California Dreamin” – Gold (2:39)

Total time: 159:31

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Both of these lists are done very well.

I never commented on LM's previously as he was against me in the first round, but I thought he did a great job with the flow and song selection, and I rate it just a hair higher than LMP's, so he gets my vote.

phanan said:
Both of these lists are done very well.

I never commented on LM's previously as he was against me in the first round, but I thought he did a great job with the flow and song selection, and I rate it just a hair higher than LMP's, so he gets my vote.

Thank you very much, good sir. I was curious to know what you thought, actually.

These lists are both very skillfully done. It comes down to songs, and overall I like the songs on LemonMelon's better, although LMP has a lot of great ones as well. Close call.

This is so close for me. Both are wonderful, fun lists that I can sit back and just enjoy from start to finish.

It's a tough call, but YLB clinched it.

LemonMelon said:
Good luck, LMP. You know I enjoy your list. :wave:

Thanks bud, and I enjoy yours, as well. :up:

You know my feelings about this.

Last edited:
I'm glad you enjoyed his concept more, because I didn't have one.

What songs did you guys like and not like?

LemonMacPhisto said:
I'm glad you enjoyed his concept more, because I didn't have one.

As it turns out, you didn't have one intentionally so as to avoid tediousness.

phillyfan26 said:

As it turns out, you didn't have one intentionally so as to avoid tediousness.

Michael said, "We deceive them, so as not to hurt them. And in that way, we honor them."

LemonMacPhisto said:
Michael said, "We deceive them, so as not to hurt them. And in that way, we honor them."

"What's the most inspirational thing I've ever said to you?"

"Don't be an idiot. Changed my life."

LMPs is my second-favourite from Group 4*, so I'm going to have to go with his playlist.

*Out of the ones I've heard...which is everyone's except Zoots (I'll get to it). Also means this is the only match I get to vote in from this round, because I haven't listened to like half of the playlists. I just haven't had the time. :reject:

Screwtape2 said:
I don't know about that I just can't stand Dylan.

You wouldn't know about that, though, because you don't have many leather bound books and your apartment doesn't smell of rich mahogany.

Screwtape2 said:

I don't know about that I just can't stand Dylan.

That's cool.

Dylan singing about a random Indian is funny at a certain time of night though, for whatever reason.

:lol:

The Dylan song didn't particularly bother me. :shrug:

Is it just me or is Desert Island becoming a bit too...I don't know...serious and not so fun?

Lemonchick said:
Is it just me or is Desert Island becoming a bit too...I don't know...serious and not so fun?

Where did you get the concept for that idea?

Lemonchick said:
Or the concept of...you know...somewhat harsh running diaries.

Just sayin' :wink:

Yeah, probably the low point of everything. It's all good though, now. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom