Desert Island III Album Game: Round 1, Heat 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• Axver

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • inmyplace13

Votes: 21 72.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
LemonMacPhisto said:
I think the main contests should be 160 minutes, but the mini-contests should be shorter.

They're the appetizers before the main course, you know?

I agree with this as well. I don't see any need for a change. :shrug:

I couldn't survive on a Desert Island with 1 disc of music.

If only there could be a Desert Island Movie contest, but it's not possible.

The closest equivalent I could think of I've already tried in Zoo Station, which was a mild success.

Film snobbery is almost as funny as music snobbery.

Movies? The only movie I've bothered to see at the cinemas in the last two years - yes, two years - is Snakes On A Plane. I couldn't believe it was actually a movie, so I had to go laugh at it.

I'm just not a big movie fan, especially not considering how much they cost.

A fine choice at that. :up:

Going to the theaters is ridiculously expensive, but sometimes worth it, especially with good action flicks and sci/fi.

LemonMacPhisto said:
A fine choice at that. :up:

Going to the theaters is ridiculously expensive, but sometimes worth it, especially with good action flicks and sci/fi.

Back in Brisbane, I knew a cinema where I could get in, ticket + frozen Coke, for under $10. Here in Melbourne? I haven't found anywhere where the ticket is less than $12. That alone is not worth it, and I can't see a movie without a frozen Coke, so that just makes it even less feasible.

I wanted to see The Simpsons Movie for old times' sake, but $17+? Forget it. Maybe I'll torrent it. Nice going, cinemas. You just deterred a genuinely interested customer.

In regards to the length of songs for Desert Island, most people prefer to keep it at 160 minutes, which is a good amount. One disc is not enough.

There have only been a very small amount of people who considered 80 minutes or 60 minutes a better way to go. Those people can respectively stay with the Symphonic mini-tournament or Space Moon.

phanan said:
In regards to the length of songs for Desert Island, most people prefer to keep it at 160 minutes, which is a good amount. One disc is not enough.

There have only been a very small amount of people who considered 80 minutes or 60 minutes a better way to go. Those people can respectively stay with the Symphonic mini-tournament or Space Moon.

You think so? Because if one complaint has characterised this edition of the tournament for me, it would be "160 minutes is too long". You know I definitely favour 160 minutes and possibly even 240, but there have been so many comments of "too much to listen to".

I'm wondering if the solution is not to shorten the tracklist length, but reduce the number of contestants.

Axver said:

You think so? Because if one complaint has characterised this edition of the tournament for me, it would be "160 minutes is too long". You know I definitely favour 160 minutes and possibly even 240, but there have been so many comments of "too much to listen to".

I'm wondering if the solution is not to shorten the tracklist length, but reduce the number of contestants.

If it is a choice between lowering the number of contestants or the length you have to keep the number of contestants. I think we should go to your plan of 80 minute playlists and the full length ones once in a while. Votes in Desert Island 2 were in the 30's at this time. I'd rather get a bigger pool of listeners and voters than keep the 160 length.

Axver said:

Back in Brisbane, I knew a cinema where I could get in, ticket + frozen Coke, for under $10. Here in Melbourne? I haven't found anywhere where the ticket is less than $12. That alone is not worth it, and I can't see a movie without a frozen Coke, so that just makes it even less feasible.

I wanted to see The Simpsons Movie for old times' sake, but $17+? Forget it. Maybe I'll torrent it. Nice going, cinemas. You just deterred a genuinely interested customer.

I only torrent when there's no possible way I can see it through NetFlix (which is the greatest Internet company ever other than Amazon and eBay.)

phanan said:

I feel comfortable in both universes. :wink: I think the two-disc playlist is great for creating a unique journey. I absolutely love the longer stuff while I'm driving across the province, or listening to my mp3 player while hiking. When you're busy, however, it's a little more challenging. That doesn't diminish the fact that it's very rewarding when you do get through it.

The other tournaments are just little hits of musical fun...at least Space Moon is :wink:

Plus in Space Moon, I can use tracks I've already used and might use in DI4.

Axver said:
I haven't found anywhere where the ticket is less than $12. That alone is not worth it, and I can't see a movie without a frozen Coke, so that just makes it even less feasible.

Oh my god, our theaters need frozen Coke out here. :drool:

Most of the movies I see in the theaters are matinees, which are still on the expensive side these days.

I try and see the movies I want to see at one of the two cinemas in the Seattle area that have weekend specials: any show before noon is $5. :up:

LemonMacPhisto said:
Plus in Space Moon, I can use tracks I've already used and might use in DI4.

SPACE MOON

THE MOON

IN SPACE

SPACE WITH MOON

omg guyz wat is the point of this thred j/k/j/k/j/k/jk

axver i cant believe you dont go to movies wtf imo. do the movies have an intermission there like in the middle of the movie?? they don't here but I read that they do in Iceland. So they probably do other places too. I was just wondering because I think it's kind of a good idea because don't you hate it when you really have to go to the bathroom but you don't wanna leave the movie? Yeah.

Intermissions would be amazing. I remember watching Lawrence of Arabia and wishing more nowadays movies had that, at least in the States.

LemonMelon said:
In my DI4 list, 32 of the 40 artists were not used on my DI3 list. I fell back on 8 of them, but it's better than nothing.

I just looked up the stats on my DI4, and out of 40 songs, 18 of the artists were used in my DI3 playlist.

Huzzah for musical diversity.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I just looked up the stats on my DI4, and out of 40 songs, 18 of the artists were used in my DI3 playlist.

Huzzah for musical diversity.

that's pretty good... my problem is i have so many bands that i feel like omg i HAVE to include a song by them... if I do DI4 prolly about half of my bands will be the same, at least :/

AtomicBono said:

that's pretty good... my problem is i have so many bands that i feel like omg i HAVE to include a song by them... if I do DI4 prolly about half of my bands will be the same, at least :/

Exactly, it's almost like you will ignore a better song just so you can have a track by so-and-so.

That happened to me last time.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Exactly, it's almost like you will ignore a better song just so you can have a track by so-and-so.

That happened to me last time.

too true

but we will get through this.

Axver said:
See, I think most of the n00b tracklists are pretty crap
Like your album covers?

axverproductionay0.jpg

Hey, Canadiens, you know what? Go fuck yourself. Your forum clown act is wearing extremely thin and you have long since ceased to be remotely funny. Your put-downs of me are especially weak by your standards.

AtomicBono said:
axver i cant believe you dont go to movies wtf imo. do the movies have an intermission there like in the middle of the movie?? they don't here but I read that they do in Iceland. So they probably do other places too. I was just wondering because I think it's kind of a good idea because don't you hate it when you really have to go to the bathroom but you don't wanna leave the movie? Yeah.

Back when I was little, they did that all the time in New Zealand, but a new cinema opened in my hometown when I was eight and they didn't do intermissions; by the time I was ten, intermissions were a thing of the past.

I've never had to leave a movie to visit the bathroom, but intermission was always great if you ran out of food. In fact, it was a good way for the cinemas to increase their food sales, so I don't know why they did away with it.

Should I feel good about winning the heat with the most volatile, hate filled thread in DI history?

I reckon so.

Let's all take a little time to cool off and think before we post -

Canadiens and Axver, you both know the rules on personal attacks - any more and this discussion will be done.

Back
Top Bottom