Desert Island III Album Game: Round 1, Heat 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• Axver

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • inmyplace13

Votes: 21 72.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Every time I read DI# I think of Die Hard.

Yippee Ki-Yay, muthafuckas

Zootlesque said:

Maybe you should play this game with just the "veterans" then. Don't invite "noobs" in and then insult their taste. :|

Great. You've disturbed the sacred peace we've been trying to create for the past 30 seconds. :mad:

LemonMelon said:
Calling your playlist "safe" is just what I meant it to be: a comment I made based on my own taste and viewpoint. I gave my reasons for making that comment in hopes that you would find them constructive, and that's it. I never said your taste is BS and you're a total failure when it comes to making playlists...and then proceeded to run over your dog. There's a huge difference.

And this is music, man. Logic doesn't apply to taste.

Bah. I was all ready to shoot you down with fiery beams of logic, and you make me laugh instead.

I did also love the part about not running over your dog.

For the record, if anyone cares, I wasn't actually offended. Maybe a little eye-rolling and "whatever" occurred, but I don't have delicate baby feelings. :wink:

I do feel pretty out of place in the competition, though. I'm curious to see how my mix is received in its round, and then compare that to my mix in the next mini-symphonic-dead-puppy game. Or whatever we're calling it.

Quick question, actually two:

1. Why are we arguing (or, rather, discussing in a respectful manner) here instead of the main thread?

and

2. Have we stopped caring about the poll results? I'm quite certain we have.

LemonMelon said:
Quick question, actually two:

1. Why are we arguing (or, rather, discussing in a respectful manner) here instead of the main thread?

and

2. Have we stopped caring about the poll results? I'm quite certain we have.

1. It is easier. :)

2. I think we should start the next two polls tomorrow. There has been little voting in the second day. I'd like to move the game along. Would anyone be up for that?

Screwtape2 said:

2. I think we should start the next two polls tomorrow. There has been little voting in the second day. I'd like to move the game along. Would anyone be up for that?

Agreed. :up: I think the point is sufficiently made after a single day.

I haven't finished listening to everyone's yet, and the next two heats are the last ones in Round 1.

I'd stay on schedule with them, because once they are over, if you recall, when Round 2 starts I'm doing four at once, and you'll find it will move very fast.

phanan said:
I haven't finished listening to everyone's yet, and the next two heats are the last ones in Round 1.

I'd stay on schedule with them, because once they are over, if you recall, when Round 2 starts I'm doing four at once, and you'll find it will move very fast.

Can you just make the next two polls and keep the current two up? Most people have voted and it seems like a waste of a day to wait for a few more votes that probably won't change anything.

Screwtape2 said:

Can you just make the next two polls and keep the current two up? Most people have voted and it seems like a waste of a day to wait for a few more votes that probably won't change anything.

You should discuss that with a mod; they might not take so kindly to having the page that cluttered. :uhoh: *has smiley tournament flashbacks*

How about this, then...

We let these two heats play out. They'll end on Sunday. Then, the last two heats of Round 1 begin and also go for 48 hours.

On Tuesday, when Round 2 begins, I'll do four heats at once and make them only 24 hours. Thus our schedule will be:

Sunday: Last two heats of Round 1
Tuesday: First four heats of Round 2
Wednesday: Second four heats of Round 2
Thursday: First four heats of Round 3
Friday: Second four heats of Round 3
Saturday: First four, Round 4
Sunday: Second four, Round 4
Monday: First four, Round 5
Tuesday: Second four, Round 5

Wednesday: Quarters
Thursday: Semis
Friday: Final

How's that?

corianderstem said:
I do feel pretty out of place in the competition, though. I'm curious to see how my mix is received in its round, and then compare that to my mix in the next mini-symphonic-dead-puppy game. Or whatever we're calling it.

Actually, I do too. There are some people, such as Screwtape, who share my approach, but in terms of actual musical taste, I think I'm on my own in terms of the palette with which I paint.

In a way, LemonMelon's right that I play it safe. I intentionally do not use a considerably large amount of my music collection as I know my tastes in metal will not do well with the Interference crowd. I basically have a rule that I don't include anything with death growls or particularly extreme instrumentation (which is hard for me to quantify as I've become a bit desensitised to metal). I'm seriously thinking about breaking that rule for the mini-tournament.

phanan said:
How about this, then...

We let these two heats play out. They'll end on Sunday. Then, the last two heats of Round 1 begin and also go for 48 hours.

On Tuesday, when Round 2 begins, I'll do four heats at once and make them only 24 hours. Thus our schedule will be:

Sunday: Last two heats of Round 1
Tuesday: First four heats of Round 2
Wednesday: Second four heats of Round 2
Thursday: First four heats of Round 3
Friday: Second four heats of Round 3
Saturday: First four, Round 4
Sunday: Second four, Round 4
Monday: First four, Round 5
Tuesday: Second four, Round 6

Wednesday: Quarters
Thursday: Semis
Friday: Final

How's that?

That sounds good but we could make the Final/Third Place Game (if we do one) run for two days.

Honestly, I feel that if we're running four rounds a day, that would seriously flood the forum. I'm not so keen on that.

I still prefer 48 hour rounds, perhaps staggered so there are 2 new ones every 24 hours.

Axver said:

In a way, LemonMelon's right that I play it safe. I intentionally do not use a considerably large amount of my music collection as I know my tastes in metal will not do well with the Interference crowd. I basically have a rule that I don't include anything with death growls or particularly extreme instrumentation (which is hard for me to quantify as I've become a bit desensitised to metal). I'm seriously thinking about breaking that rule for the mini-tournament.

One more point I'd like to make:

"Safe" may not always be a bad thing. There is "so safe that you limit yourself" and there is "safe enough that you actually have a chance to win" and (in the case of a concept) "safe enough that you are comfortable with the material you're using so you can use it properly".

I try to stay away from anything resembling "safe", but I must admit that my list this time out is incredibly safe. It's just not a trend I want to continue.

corianderstem said:

I really believe that the Album Game will put to rest a lot of these opinions about different playlists and approaches. By the way, I love your entry. :)

Axver said:
Honestly, I feel that if we're running four rounds a day, that would seriously flood the forum. I'm not so keen on that.

I still prefer 48 hour rounds, perhaps staggered so there are 2 new ones every 24 hours.

I see what you're saying, but considering how many polls were running at once when Beav did those smiley polls in LS, this would be nothing compared to that.

It would take twice as long if we staggered. I think that's too much time.

LemonMelon said:

"Safe" may not always be a bad thing. There is "so safe that you limit yourself" and there is "safe enough that you actually have a chance to win" and (in the case of a concept) "safe enough that you are comfortable with the material you're using so you can use it properly".

I try to stay away from anything resembling "safe", but I must admit that my list this time out is incredibly safe. It's just not a trend I want to continue.

In the next game, just let loose. So many lists will be on the edge that no one will condemn you for it.

LemonMelon said:

See, I think that if you're making a concept, you do need to be comfortable with the material so you use it properly. I don't think anyone wants to be the person who uses, say, The Police's Every Breath You Take without realising it's a stalker song, or Rush's A Passage To Bangkok under the impression it's a song about travel rather than Neil Peart's drug use!

Screwtape2 said:

In the next game, just let loose. So many lists will be on the edge that no one will condemn you for it.

Will do. I have so much fun making these playlists, and then wear myself out when I start obsessing over them long after they are no longer under my control. :(

phanan said:

I see what you're saying, but considering how many polls were running at once when Beav did those smiley polls in LS, this would be nothing compared to that.

It would take twice as long if we staggered. I think that's too much time.

Really? There usually seemed to be only three active whenever I checked, though one problem was that some came and went far too quickly.

Back
Top Bottom