Desert Island III Album Game: Round 1, Heat 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• Axver

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • inmyplace13

Votes: 21 72.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's also hard when people are basing their votes on different things.

You know there's at least 5-10 lurkers voting just because someone has songs they like. That's what hurts these contests.

That's fair. I did listen to all the mixes, and to whom anyone I said "I didn't care for that," I hope nobody takes that to mean I was dismissive. It just wasn't up my alley, and I truly did appreciate listening to it.

LemonMacPhisto said:
It's also hard when people are basing their votes on different things.

You know there's at least 5-10 lurkers voting just because someone has songs they like. That's what hurts these contests.

Hurts? Or helps :hmm: :wink:

corianderstem said:

Really? Wow, I completely disagree with that. "I don't care for that" is dismissive? "Crap" is completely dismissive.

"I don't care for that" implies to me an attitude of "eh, I can't be bothered wasting my time on that". It's like sticking your nose in the air and dismissively waving someone away with your hand. From reading your other post, though, it seems to me we use the phrase differently; you use it in the way I would use "it's just not my style".

"Crap", on the other hand, at least implies the person took the time to make a judgement rather than dismissing it out of hand. Now, "all the n00b tracklists are sacks of steaming shit that should be fired into the sun" would be brutal - and untrue!

Lila64 said:

Hurts? Or helps :hmm: :wink:

:wink:

Well it does hurt people with relatively obscure lists, like LJT for example. If I voted on it against someone like Meg'sLegs for example purely based on familiarity, it's an easy vote.

Giving it a chance and not liking it is different than ignoring it completely.

Axver said:
"I don't care for that" implies to me an attitude of "eh, I can't be bothered wasting my time on that".

Ah, well that's why I've been following my comments of "I don't care for that" with a comment saying that I did appreciate hearing songs unfamiliar to me, even if they weren't up my alley.

Of course, I HAVE been saying "I didn't care for it," which implies that I've actually listened to it, since I'm using the past tense. :wink:

And maybe "crap" is less harsh a judgement in your hemisphere. :wink:

Screwtape2 said:
Safe? I think the concepts and trying for something different is the real challenge. I'd rather use an artist again and again if it creates what I'm looking for. Honestly, not having a concept is playing it safe. Not trying for something special is safe. The payoff is greater when a concept is accepted and enjoyed by others. How can you say some of us are playing it safe when you didn't even have a concept to your playlist? I'd like to think that even though I have used artists multiple times that one of those times made someone pursue an artist further. More importantly, I'd like to think that everyone of my playlists have been unique. To The Stars, A Fire Cried No Hiding Place isn't anything like The Black Forest and neither are like A Little Chopin/Nightflight. Those were risks in subject and in pushing what a playlist could do. The concepts and structure are where the risks are.

This is the best post made on the thread thus far.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Isn't that at least part of it though? :shrug: You're supposed to vote for the playlists you like the most. If a playlist has amazing flow but has horrible songs on it, there's no way I would vote for it. Call me crazy, but it seems like being a vet tends to suck the joy out of you. :wink: We "n00bs" are just having fun. If we "ruin" the competition with our textureless iPod shuffle-based concoctions, so be it. :dance:

corianderstem said:
And maybe "crap" is less harsh a judgement in your hemisphere. :wink:

You Yanks do seem to be more easily offended. :wink:

Fuckin' Yanks! /sarcasm

LemonMelon said:
Call me crazy, but it seems like being a vet tends to suck the joy out of you. :wink: We "n00bs" are just having fun.

If I didn't loathe that little applause smiley so damned much, I'd be using it right here.

Axver said:
You Yanks do seem to be more easily offended.

Feh, you should have seen my reaction when some British guy online called me the c-word once. :wink:

We had to tell him that it wasn't the best word to use to an American woman.

LemonMelon said:

Isn't that at least part of it though? :shrug: You're supposed to vote for the playlists you like the most. If a playlist has amazing flow but has horrible songs on it, there's no way I would vote for it. Call me crazy, but it seems like being a vet tends to suck the joy out of you. :wink: We "n00bs" are just having fun. If we "ruin" the competition with our textureless iPod shuffle-based concoctions, so be it. :dance:

That's not my point at all.

It's like if I don't know anything on Lila's list, but know some songs on yours and I vote for you without even giving her list a chance.

I totally agree it's about fun and should be about the songs you like, but Screwtape has a point about trying something different and making a concept. For me, I've made playlists of songs I loved, this time I made one with a concept in mind plus songs I love. It's a win-win, hopefully you all feel the same way.

corianderstem said:
Feh, you should have seen my reaction when some British guy online called me the c-word once. :wink:

We had to tell him that it wasn't the best word to use to an American woman.

Actually, that's the only word I won't use. I view words as morally neutral and don't see why people get up in arms about "fuck" when used in an appropriate context, but that one word makes me quite uncomfortable. I know of only one person about whom I will use that word with no qualms.

Screwtape2 said:

Safe? I think the concepts and trying for something different is the real challenge. I'd rather use an artist again and again if it creates what I'm looking for. Honestly, not having a concept is playing it safe. Not trying for something special is safe. The payoff is greater when a concept is accepted and enjoyed by others. How can you say some of us are playing it safe when you didn't even have a concept to your playlist? I'd like to think that even though I have used artists multiple times that one of those times made someone pursue an artist further. More importantly, I'd like to think that everyone of my playlists have been unique. To The Stars, A Fire Cried No Hiding Place isn't anything like The Black Forest and neither are like A Little Chopin/Nightflight. Those were risks in subject and in pushing what a playlist could do. The concepts and structure are where the risks are.

You're painting with fewer colors that way, however. It really is very limiting, and I'm surprised that no one else would find this philosophy a bit dull. It's all up to taste, and we all have different reasons for joining these competitions, and ours just differ in this case.

BTW, you don't have to use the same artists over and over to put together a concept. They don't relate at all. I have a concept playlist, but I just happened to have saved it for the symphonic tourney. :wink:

LemonMacPhisto said:

I totally agree it's about fun and should be about the songs you like, but Screwtape has a point about trying something different and making a concept. For me, I've made playlists of songs I loved, this time I made one with a concept in mind plus songs I love. It's a win-win, hopefully you all feel the same way.

That's why I feel this is your best playlist. I think the concept created a tight experience. When you really push for something different you create your best work. Axver, Phanan and a couple others made their best playlists this time because the concepts are so good. Maybe it is that sense of fearlessness that we're missing in this game. Luckily, the next one is going to be a return to that.

Thanks. :D

Fearlessness can only get you so far, the two most fearless lists in the tourney, for me, got hosed in the last 2 heats.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Fearlessness can only get you so far, the two most fearless lists in the tourney, for me, got hosed in the last 2 heats.

Agreed. AB and Bono's Lemon had some balls for using some of those songs (just like Khan with Since U Been Gone :lmao: ).

I've got to say, I really don't understand what the big deal is with putting a concept together. It's one thing when an artist makes a concept album; the concept affects the lyrical content, but with a concept playlist, it just doesn't really heighten the experience all that much for me. A crappy song is still a crappy song, no matter the context. :shrug:

LemonMelon, no offence, but your last couple of posts are complete bullshit. I'm not sure I can even be bothered refuting them.

True, but it is interesting to see someone try and make a real concept album using songs from different artists.

Now should that be taken with more than a grain of salt than anything else? That's up to the voter.

Axver said:
LemonMelon, no offence, but your last couple of posts are complete bullshit. I'm not sure I can even be bothered refuting them.

Don't bother. There's no way to refute taste, and that's all this is. It's like someone saying Puddle Of Mudd is their favorite band. They may be an idiot, but it's still not possible to argue with them over it.

I just really wish you would have the tact to present your own point and listen to someone else's without such a rude tone.

LemonMelon said:
I just really wish you would have the tact to present your own point and listen to someone else's without such a rude tone.

You're the one who's calling people "safe" based upon the flimsiest of logic.

Axver said:

You're the one who's calling people "safe" based upon the flimsiest of logic.

Calling your playlist "safe" is just what I meant it to be: a comment I made based on my own taste and viewpoint. I gave my reasons for making that comment in hopes that you would find them constructive, and that's it. I never said your taste is BS and you're a total failure when it comes to making playlists...and then proceeded to run over your dog. There's a huge difference.

And this is music, man. Logic doesn't apply to taste.

corianderstem said:

Says YOU. I've narrowed my musical taste down to a mathematical equation!

DAYUM. I bet you can now proceed to make a playlist guaranteed to win DI4. :ohmy:

Axver said:
See, I think most of the n00b tracklists are pretty crap while the veterans are really coming into their own.

Maybe you should play this game with just the "veterans" then. Don't invite "noobs" in and then insult their taste. :|

Back
Top Bottom