Desert Island Game II: Rules and Sign-up Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

Hmm, that's a tough one. I'd like the thoughts of LMP and Screwtape before making a definite decision, but I'm leaning towards saying it's tentatively allowed as it's a collaboration under the name "Paul McCartney and U2" rather than just being the solo artist/band recording the song.

However, it does push the rules a bit. As rule #6 says, "Any entry that [...] pushes one of these rules is subject to being banned from the competition." If someone did just one or two songs like this, I might let it slide, but if it were something like Bono solo, Bono with Daniel Lanois, Bono with Sinead O'Connor, Bono with Kylie Minogue, Bono with ten other people, then I'd invoke rule #6.

all right, good to know, I'll check back for the final decision

bono_212 said:
Well, there's 24 now, but if a space opens up, I would like to try, this sounds really interesting, and though mine will probably be the first to go, it's always fun to show other people the music you listen to.

Wait...it only looks like 23...uh...let me know Axver :happy:

Aaand you're in!

OK folks, that's it, but leave your name if you want to be considered as a reserve if required.

1. Axver
2. LemonMacPhisto
3. Screwtape2
4. liamcool
5. hippy
6. fly so high!
7. LJT
8. Salome/Lara Mullen combined entry
9. Lancemc
10. XHendrix24
11. Souly
12. KhanadaRhodes
13. FitzChivalry
14. Bono's shades
15. beau2iful day
16. inmyplace13
17. bono_man2002
18. dazzlingamy
19. Irishteen
20. U2vertigofly
21. Lemonchick
22. GibsonGirl
23. pepokiss
24. bono_212

Axver said:

Hmm, that's a tough one. I'd like the thoughts of LMP and Screwtape before making a definite decision, but I'm leaning towards saying it's tentatively allowed as it's a collaboration under the name "Paul McCartney and U2" rather than just being the solo artist/band recording the song.

However, it does push the rules a bit. As rule #6 says, "Any entry that [...] pushes one of these rules is subject to being banned from the competition." If someone did just one or two songs like this, I might let it slide, but if it were something like Bono solo, Bono with Daniel Lanois, Bono with Sinead O'Connor, Bono with Kylie Minogue, Bono with ten other people, then I'd invoke rule #6.

Yeah, I agree with Axver on this one.

Having something like a Police song and a Sting song are fine by me, but if it's like:

Police song
Sting song
song FEATURING STING, HOLLA

then that's a problem.

Something like Paul McCartney and U2 would work and still allow one to have Paul McCartney and U2 work.

Quick question - does the whole "only one song by one band" thing include Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd with the other, more well-known incarnation? I mean, they may as well be two different bands.

It's a long shot, but I really wouldn't mind having "Lucifer Sam" or "Bike" as well as "Comfortably Numb." :drool:

My God, my playlist is already at 5 hours and I'm only on the P's. Guess I might have to trim this one down a bit. :shifty:

No, it's the band as a whole.

Barrett-era Floyd and Waters/Gilmour-era Floyd still count as Pink Floyd.

Boohiss. :angry:

Oh well, thanks anyway. Guess it'll at least help me narrow it down a bit. Just finished going through artists and my playlist's a good 9.2 hours. That'll be fun narrowing down. :wink:

KhanadaRhodes said:
oh hay i'm confirming :wave:

Hey Khan! Thanks for closing the other thread too. :)

Now, let's see, who else still needs to confirm their sign up? I think Bono's shades is the only one?

You know, I'm really surprised at the level of interest in this edition of the tournament, as I recall it took us a bit of time to get all 16 together last time. I feel like we could have expanded this all the way to 32 and still filled it quicker than we filled the first edition.

XHendrix24 said:
Boohiss. :angry:

Oh well, thanks anyway. Guess it'll at least help me narrow it down a bit. Just finished going through artists and my playlist's a good 9.2 hours. That'll be fun narrowing down. :wink:

Sounds like what mine would have been if I hadn't set my rule of "no insanely long prog epics". :wink:

And if you want to include some Syd, may I recommend his solo song Effervescing Elephant? :drool:

Axver said:

Sounds like what mine would have been if I hadn't set my rule of "no insanely long prog epics". :wink:

And if you want to include some Syd, may I recommend his solo song Effervescing Elephant? :drool:

I might check that out just for this competition. :sexywink:

I'm considering doing a psychadelic theme for my first CD. I'm deciding if the other CD would be pop music, hip hop, indie rock, or some weird hodge-podge of whatever's left over. We'll see if that ends up working out.

I'll probably end up overthinking this thing just to go out in the first round, anyway. So I'm trying not to think TOO hard about it. :wink:

XHendrix24 said:

I might check that out just for this competition. :sexywink:

I'm considering doing a psychadelic theme for my first CD. I'm deciding if the other CD would be pop music, hip hop, indie rock, or some weird hodge-podge of whatever's left over. We'll see if that ends up working out.

I don't enjoy most of Syd's solo work, but Effervescing Elephant is such a laugh, I love it. I may put it in my own compilation if I have room. I'm still juggling with tracks.

And I'm looking forward to this psychedelic theme of yours. :drool:

I'll probably end up overthinking this thing just to go out in the first round, anyway.

:lol: That's what happened to me last time around! Thank goodness for the repechage rounds this time!

I just put songs I like and tried to make a discernable flow to them.

It's weird, I have the "iPod tracklisting" block but still break them up like cassette mixtapes.

Axver said:

I don't enjoy most of Syd's solo work, but Effervescing Elephant is such a laugh, I love it.

"Oh yeah!"

I can't wait to get started on this. I was planning on going to bed now, but I've just had a cup of tea so I'm probably going to be up all night anyway. I think Disc 1 is going to be a concept album... :hmm:

EDIT: More a concept compilation, actually.

GibsonGirl said:
I can't wait to get started on this. I was planning on going to bed now, but I've just had a cup of tea so I'm probably going to be up all night anyway. I think Disc 1 is going to be a concept album... :hmm:

I have this sneaking suspicion that one of our "comparing apples to apples" groups for the qualifying rounds will be you, Screwtape, liamcool, and I. :wink:

hippy said:
Hey guys, I'm just not going to have time to get this together this time around (school + job = no extra time). So someone else can have my spot... :(

:( Oh, boo, you'll be that busy? You have right up until the end of the month, but if you want me to open up your spot again, I will.

Would Ryan Adams be considered the same artist as Ryan Adams & The Cardinals?

Some playlist developments ride on that decision.

Screwtape or LMP, do you know enough to comment on inmyplace's question? I've never heard a single note of Ryan Adams's music.

Here's an illustration of how I would lay down the law with one band I know, though, Cliff Richard and The Shadows. The Shadows, by themselves, were a mostly instrumental group, and Cliff Richard by himself was a pop singer. In their early days in the late 50s, The Shadows acted as Cliff's backing band. I would permit someone to use both The Shadows and Cliff Richard And The Shadows, as The Shadows own career was distinct from their career supporting Cliff. However, Cliff's career both with and without The Shadows can be considered as one and I would not permit someone to have one song by Cliff Richard and another by Cliff Richard And The Shadows. In contrast, had Cliff Richard simply been brought in to sing some Shadows songs separately from his solo career, I would instead ban someone from using The Shadows and Cliff Richard And The Shadows, but be happy to allow Cliff Richard and Cliff Richard And The Shadows.

However, I have no idea how things apply to Ryan Adams and Ryan Adams And The Cardinals. Hopefully my description of how I'd lay the law down in another case helps. And keep rule #6 in mind.

Last edited:
Ryan Adams solo is a different story than his work with the Cardinals I believe.

Yeah, they count separately because of the "Shadows Rule" :up:

Axver said:

I have this sneaking suspicion that one of our "comparing apples to apples" groups for the qualifying rounds will be you, Screwtape, liamcool, and I. :wink:

More than likely. :wink:

Axver said:

With Gibsongirl talking concept compilation, you and liamcool pulling out artists most of Interference has never heard of, and my "odd" little playlist (which will probably get more "wtf's" than votes); our group should probably go first. I get the sense that our group will be a little out there so having us go first would give people a little more of a chance to examine them. Less people are going to know our artists compared to most everyone else. What do you think?

Screwtape2 said:

With Gibsongirl talking concept compilation, you and liamcool pulling out artists most of Interference has never heard of, and my "odd" little playlist (which will probably get more "wtf's" than votes); our group should probably go first. I get the sense that our group will be a little out there so having us go first would give people a little more of a chance to examine them. Less people are going to know our artists compared to most everyone else. What do you think?

Hmm. I'm not sure if it should be first or last. First is when people are enthusiastic to get stuck into the contest, but last allows people more time to discover the artists in our compilations. Keep in mind that people will probably have to download more of our compilations than they will for most others.

This time around, I am also displaying my fondness for melodic rock, but there's still a good concentration of prog. I keep debating just how much prog I wish to use.

dazzlingamy said:
I'm dyyyyying trying to choose one song from my favourite artists, its so hard!!

Me too.

I also find I have more favourite artists than I can squeeze into my allocated time. :mad:

Lara Mullen said:

Me too.

I also find I have more favourite artists than I can squeeze into my allocated time. :mad:

Maybe you shouldn't be doing a combined entry with Salome. :wink:

After all, hippy's spot in the tournament is now up for grabs.

Axver said:

Maybe you shouldn't be doing a combined entry with Salome. :wink:

After all, hippy's spot in the tournament is now up for grabs.

I'll do that. :up:

I wouldn't have done the combined entry if someone hadn't told me this involved making cds and posting them out before I read the thread. :angry:

Ha, oops!

So here's our revised contestants list:

1. Axver
2. LemonMacPhisto
3. Screwtape2
4. liamcool
5. fly so high!
6. LJT
7. Lara Mullen
8. Salome
9. Lancemc
10. XHendrix24
11. Souly
12. KhanadaRhodes
13. FitzChivalry
14. Bono's shades
15. beau2iful day
16. inmyplace13
17. bono_man2002
18. dazzlingamy
19. Irishteen
20. U2vertigofly
21. Lemonchick
22. GibsonGirl
23. pepokiss
24. bono_212

Axver said:

:( Oh, boo, you'll be that busy? You have right up until the end of the month, but if you want me to open up your spot again, I will.

yeah, really that busy :( sorry for pulling out... I feel like an ass... but glad that it went to someone else :) And I'll definitely be playing along! Just don't have time to make my own entry...

liamcool said:
I'm not actually pulling out artists Interference has never heard of. Axver is here for a reason.

:lol:

I really like the name Desert Island Part Deux, not this roman numeral II business.

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom