Desert Island Game II: Qualifying Round 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which tracklisting do you prefer?

• liamcool's tracklisting

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Screwtape2's tracklisting

Votes: 28 90.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the second qualifying round of the Interference Desert Island Game II! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

In the first round, although many commenters felt it was a tough choice, GibsonGirl nonetheless achieved a resounding 27-15 victory over Axver. This means that GibsonGirl is our first qualifier for the heats, and we'll see the Axverian tracklisting again in the repechages.

In this round, we shall see tracklistings made by liamcool and Screwtape2 compete against each other. Below, you will find their tracklistings, and unlike the first round, which featured two of the new iPod tracklistings, this round returns to the familiarity of the original competition with dual CD compilations. If you are unfamiliar with the songs included, we can help you hear them! Just leave your e-mail address. :)

THE TRACKLISTINGS!

Forum name: liamcool

Disc A:

01) Opeth - “In Mist She Was Standing” - Orchid (14:09)
02) Megadeath - “Peace Sells“ - Peace Sells…But Who’s Buying? (4:55)
03) Liquid Tension Experiment - “When The Water Breaks” - Liquid Tension
Experiment 2 - (17:21)
04) Ayreon - “Day Twelve: Trauma” - The Human Equation (9:00)
05) Rush - “By Tor And The Snow Dog“ - Fly By Night (8:40)
06) Metallica - “Master Of Puppets” - Master Of Puppets (8:37)
07) King Crimson - “The Talking Drum” - Lark’s Tongue In Aspic (6:33)
08) Anathema - “Don’t Look Too Far” - Judgement (5:40)
09) Marillion - “Fugazi” - Fugazi (8:33)

Disc B:

01) New Order - “Age Of Consent” - Power, Corruption and Lies (5:20)
02) The Glove - “Like An Animal” - Blue Sunshine (4:40)
03) Echo And The Bunny men - “Villiers Terrace” - Crocodiles (2:53)
04) Ultravox - “Mine For Life” - Quartet (4:50)
05) Pink Floyd - “Echoes“ - Meddle (23:35)
06) Dream Theater - “Scarred” - Awake (10:59)
07) Joy Division - “Twenty Four Hours” - Closer (4:26)
08) The Cure - “Sinking” - The Head On The Door (4:55)

Forum name: Screwtape2

Screwtape2 writes: To me the best music to an individual is the kind that has an emotional effect. With that in mind, my compilation attempts to take someone into the experience of life on a desert island. My compilation is a concept album in a sense, centered around the emotions experienced by those in their first night on the island. It is called “To The Stars, A Fire Cried No Hiding Place.” Interpret that how you want. When you listen imagine those people and what they might be doing or thinking during each piece. The first disc is called “A Restless Sea, Before A Sleep.” It is meant to represent the shedding of their past lives. The second disc is called “A Restless Dream, Before First Breath.” It is meant to represent the conflict of savage subconscious wills against the hope of a new life and second chance. It merges alternative, prog/art rock, classical/film scores, folk music, jazz and others. Please take a listen. It is something that has to be experienced to be appreciated. So close your eyes and put on your head phones.

1. The Alan Parsons Project- “A Dream Within A Dream” -Tales Of Mystery & Imagination (4:13)
2. Todd Rundgren- “A Treatise On Cosmic Fire: Intro Prana” - Initiation (4:21)
3. Tori Amos- “Little Earthquakes” - Little Earthquakes (6:51)
4. U2- “Walk To The Water” - With Or Without You [single] (4:49)
5. Massive Attack- “Weather Storm” – Protection (4:59)
6. Faithless feat. Dido- “One Step Too Far” – Reverence (5:19)
7. Pure Reason Revolution- “Aeropause” – The Dark Third (5:46)
8. Edward & Alex Van Halen- “Respect The Wind” – Twister: Soundtrack (4:40)
9. David Bowie- “Within You” –Labyrinth Soundtrack (3:29)
10. The Cure- “Charlotte Sometimes” – Charlotte Sometimes [single] (4:14)
11. Thelonious Monk, Ray Copeland, Gig Gryce, John Coltrane, Coleman Hawkins, Wilbur Ware & Art Blakey- “Epistrophy” - Thelonious Monk With John Coltrane (3:10)
12. Dido- “Honestly OK” – No Angel (4:39)
13. The Cranberries- “Pretty” - Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (2:16)
14. Julee Cruise- “The World Spins” – Floating In The Night (6:38)
15. Duran Duran- “Come Undone [edit]” – Greatest (4:15)
16. George Michael- “Cowboys & Angels” - Listen Without Prejudice, Vol. 1 (7:15)
17. Pearl Jam- “Wasted Reprise” – Pearl Jam (0:53)

Total runtime: 77:47

1. Genesis- “Watchers Of The Skies” – Foxtrot (7:22)
2. Randy Edelman- “Bridge At Lacrosse” – Last Of The Mohicans: Soundtrack (1:23)
3. Renaissance- “Can You Understand” – Tales Of 1001 Nights Volume 1 (10:23)
4. Kate Bush- “Leave It Open” – The Dreaming (3:25)
5. Passengers- “One Minute Warning” - Original Soundtracks 1 (4:39)
6. The Police- “Omegaman” – Ghost In The Machine (2:47)
7. Tears For Fears- “Broken” – Songs From The Big Chair (2:38)
8. Sting- “We Work The Black Seam” – Bring On The Night (7:00)
9. Pink Floyd- “Great Gig In The Sky” – Dark Side Of The Moon (4:44)
10. Focus- “Answers? Questions! Questions? Answers!” – Live At The Rainbow (11:31)
11. The Verve- “Catching The Butterfly” – Urban Hymns (6:26)
12. Gustav Holst (Andrew Davis; Toronto Symphony Orchestra)- “Holst: The Planets, Op. 32 - 4. Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity” – Holst: The Planets (8:15)
13. Angelo Badalamenti- “The Voice Of Love” – Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me: Original Soundtrack (3:52)
14. The Smashing Pumpkins- “17” – Adore (0:17)
15. Grant Lee Buffalo- “Last Days Of Tecumseh” - Mighty Joe Moon (1:02)
16. Peter Gabriel- “It Is Accomplished” – Passion: Soundtrack (2:55)
17. Ennio Morricone- “Miserere” – The Mission: Soundtrack (1:00)

Total runtime: 79:39

Overall runtime: 157:26

UP NEXT: dazzlingamy vs FitzChivalry

Competition master list.

Competition rules.

And in time, someone (probably me ...) will make a diagram of the competition's format and a link to it will be in this spot in future rounds.

Have fun!

This was a tough decision for me, probably the toughest I'll have in the entire competition. Both of these tracklistings are excellent, but I ultimately went with Liam's.

That said, what I like about Screwtape's is the composition. It's much better in that sense than Liam's is, quite considerably. However, there are a few artists I dislike, and for some of the artists I do like, the selections are not ones I would make: Catching The Butterfly has always struck me as the weakest track on The Verve's Urban Hymns, I (and most people, at least in my experience) abhor Pink Floyd's The Great Unlistenable Intolerable Wailing In The Sky, Walk To The Water is probably the third weakest original U2 b-side from the eighties (Heartbreak Hotel and J. Swallow being the two weaker ones), and while I love Aeropause, I think a different Pure Reason Revolution selection would have been better, such as The Twyncyn/Trembling Willows. But these are generally minor quibbles - I enjoy most of the tracklisting and the composition, as I said, is wonderful. I'm sure this tracklisting will win, and it will be a worthy contestant in the heats.

However, although I'm sure few will be with me, I think Liam's tracklisting owns. Whereas I shied away from metal, he's thrown in Opeth's glorious In Mist She Was Standing (well, I would have taken something like The Moor or The Apostle In Triumph myself, but this song is still class all the way). How can you go wrong with Liquid Tension Experiment, Ayreon, Rush, King Crimson, Marillion, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, and Joy Division? And then there's the choice that sealed my vote, Anathema's essentially perfect Don't Look Too Far. Words cannot describe how much I adore that song. It's impeccable. Any tracklisting with that song would be a strong contender for my vote no matter how bad the rest of it is.

Go Liam. I'll see you in the repechages! :wave:

Screwtape's playlist was one of the most interesting and different musical journeys which I've been on in a long time. Though I'll still need time to decide if that's good or not, but for now it's enough for me to vote for it. I really loved the whole atmosphere and mood.

I've yet to download Screwtape's list, but I know most of his songs already, whereas there are quite a few of liamcool's that I don't know. Unfortunately, with no links I can't make a judgement on those and therefore they won't count for me. That will probably hurt his chances...

Stewtape2 because
1) He has within you by David Bowie on his playlist, and I was going to use that one :D
2) He has anything by Gustav Holst (I am a band :nerd: )
3) Overall more songs I know/artists I've heard of.

3 of the main reasons I'm choosing screwtape in this round...

Axver said:

11. The Verve- “Catching The Butterfly” – Urban Hymns (6:26)

12. Gustav Holst (Andrew Davis; Toronto Symphony Orchestra)- “Holst: The Planets, Op. 32 - 4. Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity” – Holst: The Planets (8:15)

17. Ennio Morricone- “Miserere” – The Mission: Soundtrack (1:00)

I was also intrigued by "Walk to the Water" as the choice of U2 song... quite unexpected :)

When does voting close on this round? I haven't finished downloading/listening to Screwtapes songs, and then I have to sort thru liamcools to listen to the ones I haven't heard, if I can...

I'm so sad that I missed out this time. :sad: I'm already working on my list for the next tournament. :up: I have 44 songs and I'm ready to polish it up. Hopefully it'll kick ass next time. :up:

Lila64 said:
When does voting close on this round? I haven't finished downloading/listening to Screwtapes songs, and then I have to sort thru liamcools to listen to the ones I haven't heard, if I can...

Each round is 2 days long, so you've got a day and about 4.5 hours as of the time of this post.

Canadiens1160 said:
I have to say, Interference isn't very \m/etal, it seems.

:shrug: It surprises me a bit too. Liamcool's list doesn't have a lot of variety, but he clearly has a good taste in what he loves.

Axver said:

Each round is 2 days long, so you've got a day and about 4.5 hours as of the time of this post.

I guess my vote this round won't matter much anyways... Just not enough hours in the day sometimes :sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom