Desert Island Album Game III: Rules and Sign-up Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AtomicBono said:
LMP, you do have good stuff. Don't Panic and Just are two of my favourite songs ever :up: and i recently got Daydream Nation, what a great album :drool:

well i've narrowed my selections down to 50-some artists :lol: this is going to be difficult. And I'm trying to decide if I should do a two-disc collection, one which is more upbeat/rocking and the other being more mellow/atmospheric, or if I should just go for one cohesive playlist...

Thank you. :)

the 2 CD idea sounds better, maybe like a Fire / Ice type of thing.

Whatever you can do to make your playlist as "you" as possible, go for it.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Whatever you can do to make your playlist as "you" as possible, go for it.

That's dangerous ... no one wants to hear 2 CDs worth of karaoke tracks.

Unless you're me. :wink:

am i allowed to use don't panic even though you've used it before? because it really is one of my favourite songs ever. I love a lot of Coldplay songs but none of the others come close in my mind...it has personal meaning to me. and it's just so goddamn beautiful. what a tune.

I've almost put Sweet Caroline on every playlist so far.

Gotta represent The Diamond, guys.

AtomicBono said:
am i allowed to use don't panic even though you've used it before? because it really is one of my favourite songs ever. I love a lot of Coldplay songs but none of the others come close in my mind...it has personal meaning to me. and it's just so goddamn beautiful. what a tune.

oh yeah, you're totally able to. you can use songs anyone else has used/is using, the only restriction is if YOU YOURSELF have participated in a previous contest.

corianderstem said:

:lmao:

I would play the guitar on the tracks instead :wink:

the songs have to be officially released right? cuz one of my favourite songs is by my dad, but he never had a record deal or anything.

AtomicBono said:

Yes, you're only not allowed to use songs YOU haven't used before, and as you're new to the game, then you don't even have to worry about that rule. :)

Edit: Damn, LMP beat me to it. And yes, tracks have to be officially released in some context by the band/artist.

corianderstem said:

:lmao:

And maybe you need to try harder with your lectures, because I remain completely unconvinced by your stance. Especially unconvinced after having Kelly fucking Clarkson's "since you've been gone" song stuck in my head for three fucking days. DAMN YOU, EARLY MORNING KIWI RADIO, DAMN YOU!

corianderstem said:

Don't worry. You're all safe from the more embarrassing parts of my CD collection.

Lila, I will spare you my lecture on how Pink, Christina Aguilera and Robbie Williams are not crap. :wink:

(for the record, I do not own any 50 Cent. Or N'Sync. :shifty: )

I will only relent on Pink (Get the Party Started), and a couple of Christina Aguilera songs (Ain't No Other Man). I still don't own them, but Maddy has the latter on her iTunes. You can lecture Axver all you want :happy:

LMP - that was back in the old days when you could have more than one song by a band. :grumpy: I'm supposed to pick just one U2 song? One Beatles? Come on now!

Axver said:

Yes, you're only not allowed to use songs YOU haven't used before, and as you're new to the game, then you don't even have to worry about that rule. :)

Edit: Damn, LMP beat me to it. And yes, tracks have to be officially released in some context by the band/artist.

But you said them in plain English. I somehow manage to chew it up and spit it back out. :wink:

Also, if anyone puts "Hide and Seek" by Imogen Heap on their playlist, they will be my hero.

"MMMM WHAT YOU SAY?"

Lila64 said:
LMP - that was back in the old days when you could have more than one song by a band. :grumpy: I'm supposed to pick just one U2 song? One Beatles? Come on now!

Trust me, you'll love this rule more as you go to make your playlist.

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:
I've almost put Sweet Caroline on every playlist so far.

Gotta represent The Diamond, guys.

I think I have a U2 version of that song somewhere :happy: (maybe more like a snippet)

Lila64 said:

Honestly, nowadays, I don't know how I could fit two songs by any band on a tracklist. I have a hard time fitting even one sometimes!

Axver said:

Especially unconvinced after having Kelly fucking Clarkson's "since you've been gone" song stuck in my head for three fucking days.

SINCE U BEEN GONE YEEEEAHHHH YEEAAHAHHH

sucient genius

Screwtape2 said:
I wondering whether the newcomers should represent one half of the bracket so that they can be sure to send someone to the final or have mixed brackets. What do you all think?

well being a newcomer myself, i like the first idea :wink: But you could go either way really, I mean, it shouldn't be about whether you've played the game or not before, it's about the tracklist itself.

AtomicBono said:
SINCE U BEEN GONE YEEEEAHHHH YEEAAHAHHH

sucient genius

See, Axver? AtomicBono gets it. :wink:

I tease and cajole, prod and whine because I care.

I'm off to bed. Must rest up for the first day of above 90 temps. Seattle does not do well in such weather, and I fare even worse.

Visions of playlists dancing in my head ...

Lila64 said:
I think I have a U2 version of that song somewhere :happy: (maybe more like a snippet)

Didn't Edge do it as one of his karaoke songs on Popmart?

Screwtape2 said:
I wondering whether the newcomers should represent one half of the bracket so that they can be sure to send someone to the final or have mixed brackets. What do you all think?

I favour mixed brackets, but in such a way that one newbie is guaranteed to make the semis.

I don't think newcomers should have any advantage or disadvantage. Shouldn't the playing field be even so to speak? :shrug:

I think the file-sharing is still a huge problem for these lists. I tried pretty hard to upload my list, as most other contestants did, yet at the same time, to be perfectly honest, I didn't download every single song from every tracklist either. It's just a pain in the ass, mostly do to sucking ginormous balls. It reorders the tracks to their liking, and it takes forever to piece together the tracklists again.

It's also completely not-condusive for me iTunes setting, since it just dumps hundreds of new artists in my iTunes collection with just one album and one song often listed. My iTunes is heavily organized around full albums and artists, so it's a huge pain in the ass (Major OCD here, not entirely my own fault). I'm not sure how I'm going to get around that this time, if I can at all. Maybe I'll just abstain from voting if I have to go through all that again.

At the same time, not entirely sure there even is a better way to do that.

Lila64 said:
I don't think newcomers should have any advantage or disadvantage. Shouldn't the playing field be even so to speak? :shrug:

Well, it's just that if two whole groups are newbies, then if we use a basic progression and those two groups are Group A and B or C and D, you're guaranteed to get one in the final. You'd need to mix it up to remove that advantage.

Lancemc said:
I think the file-sharing is still a huge problem for these lists. I tried pretty hard to upload my list, as most other contestants did, yet at the same time, to be perfectly honest, I didn't download every single song from every tracklist either. It's just a pain in the ass, mostly do to sucking ginormous balls. It reorders the tracks to their liking, and it takes forever to piece together the tracklists again.

It's also completely not-condusive for me iTunes setting, since it just dumps hundreds of new artists in my iTunes collection with just one album and one song often listed. My iTunes is heavily organized around full albums and artists, so it's a huge pain in the ass (Major OCD here, not entirely my own fault). I'm not sure how I'm going to get around that this time, if I can at all. Maybe I'll just abstain from voting if I have to go through all that again.

Well, at least this time, we're avoiding send space's painfulness by going for larger ZIP files on media fire. Sure, that means some people will end up with doubles, but it makes things so much more quicker.

To avoid the iTunes problem, I simply open the tracklists in a different media player. I'm pretty obsessive with how my music is ordered too (you should see my external hard drive!) and I use iTunes normally, but for the tracklists, I open them in order in WinAmp. If I really like a new song, only then does it get to move to the external hard drive and to iTunes.

Axver said:

Well, it's just that if two whole groups are newbies, then if we use a basic progression and those two groups are Group A and B or C and D, you're guaranteed to get one in the final. You'd need to mix it up to remove that advantage.

:up:

Axver said:

Well, at least this time, we're avoiding send space's painfulness by going for larger ZIP files on media fire. Sure, that means some people will end up with doubles, but it makes things so much more quicker.

To avoid the iTunes problem, I simply open the tracklists in a different media player. I'm pretty obsessive with how my music is ordered too (you should see my external hard drive!) and I use iTunes normally, but for the tracklists, I open them in order in WinAmp. If I really like a new song, only then does it get to move to the external hard drive and to iTunes.

Sounds like a great solution. :up:

Lancemc said:

:up::up::up:

No offense to Meg'sLegs or Screwtape, but I had to re-name/number their songs to fit my iTunes scheme, which gets kind of tedious, but hey, it's not required. My iTunes OCD is killing me.

I still have to remove all the zip files and extracted songs from the previous games off of my computer :crack: That includes hubby's too, though I did get some Marillion & Yes & Genesis added, which I was too lazy to do prior to the Prog round. They're on my computer, but still have yet to make it to the iPod.

whataboutbob.jpg
Baby steps :wink:

I will enter.
I will enter.
I will enter.
I will enter.
I will enter.
I will enter.
I will enter.
I will enter.
I will enter.
I will enter.
I will enter.
I will enter.
I will enter.
I will enter.
I will enter.
I will enter.

Please add me to the list, submissions on the way in a couple minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom