Desert Island Album Game II: Quarter Final 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which tracklist do you prefer?

• Screwtape2's tracklist

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • U2VertigoFly's tracklist

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the third quarter final of the Interference Desert Island Game II! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

In the second quarter final, Lancemc achieved a close 16-14 victory over Bono's shades and thus progresses to the first semi-final against LemonMacPhisto.

This quarter final will determine the first qualifier for the second semi-final. It features tracklists by Screwtape2 and U2VertigoFly, both of whom made it here by the narrowest of margins, winning their respective heats by a single vote. Will it be so close for them again? Below, you will find their tracklistings. If you are unfamiliar with the songs included, we can help you hear them! Just leave your e-mail address.

THE TRACKLISTINGS!

Forum name: Screwtape2

Screwtape writes: To me the best music to an individual is the kind that has an emotional effect. With that in mind, my compilation attempts to take someone into the experience of life on a desert island. My compilation is a concept album in a sense, centered around the emotions experienced by those in their first night on the island. It is called “To The Stars, A Fire Cried No Hiding Place.” Interpret that how you want. When you listen imagine those people and what they might be doing or thinking during each piece. The first disc is called “A Restless Sea, Before A Sleep.” It is meant to represent the shedding of their past lives. The second disc is called “A Restless Dream, Before First Breath.” It is meant to represent the conflict of savage subconscious wills against the hope of a new life and second chance. It merges alternative, prog/art rock, classical/film scores, folk music, jazz and others. Please take a listen. It is something that has to be experienced to be appreciated. So close your eyes and put on your head phones.

1. The Alan Parsons Project- “A Dream Within A Dream” -Tales Of Mystery & Imagination (4:13)
2. Todd Rundgren- “A Treatise On Cosmic Fire: Intro Prana” - Initiation (4:21)
3. Tori Amos- “Little Earthquakes” - Little Earthquakes (6:51)
4. U2- “Walk To The Water” - With Or Without You [single] (4:49)
5. Massive Attack- “Weather Storm” – Protection (4:59)
6. Faithless feat. Dido- “One Step Too Far” – Reverence (5:19)
7. Pure Reason Revolution- “Aeropause” – The Dark Third (5:46)
8. Edward & Alex Van Halen- “Respect The Wind” – Twister: Soundtrack (4:40)
9. David Bowie- “Within You” –Labyrinth Soundtrack (3:29)
10. The Cure- “Charlotte Sometimes” – Charlotte Sometimes [single] (4:14)
11. Thelonious Monk, Ray Copeland, Gig Gryce, John Coltrane, Coleman Hawkins, Wilbur Ware & Art Blakey- “Epistrophy” - Thelonious Monk With John Coltrane (3:10)
12. Dido- “Honestly OK” – No Angel (4:39)
13. The Cranberries- “Pretty” - Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (2:16)
14. Julee Cruise- “The World Spins” – Floating In The Night (6:38)
15. Duran Duran- “Come Undone [edit]” – Greatest (4:15)
16. George Michael- “Cowboys & Angels” - Listen Without Prejudice, Vol. 1 (7:15)
17. Pearl Jam- “Wasted Reprise” – Pearl Jam (0:53)

Total runtime: 77:47

1. Genesis- “Watchers Of The Skies” – Foxtrot (7:22)
2. Randy Edelman- “Bridge At Lacrosse” – Last Of The Mohicans: Soundtrack (1:23)
3. Renaissance- “Can You Understand” – Tales Of 1001 Nights Volume 1 (10:23)
4. Kate Bush- “Leave It Open” – The Dreaming (3:25)
5. Passengers- “One Minute Warning” - Original Soundtracks 1 (4:39)
6. The Police- “Omegaman” – Ghost In The Machine (2:47)
7. Tears For Fears- “Broken” – Songs From The Big Chair (2:38)
8. Sting- “We Work The Black Seam” – Bring On The Night (7:00)
9. Pink Floyd- “Great Gig In The Sky” – Dark Side Of The Moon (4:44)
10. Focus- “Answers? Questions! Questions? Answers!” – Live At The Rainbow (11:31)
11. The Verve- “Catching The Butterfly” – Urban Hymns (6:26)
12. Gustav Holst (Andrew Davis; Toronto Symphony Orchestra)- “Holst: The Planets, Op. 32 - 4. Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity” – Holst: The Planets (8:15)
13. Angelo Badalamenti- “The Voice Of Love” – Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me: Original Soundtrack (3:52)
14. The Smashing Pumpkins- “17” – Adore (0:17)
15. Grant Lee Buffalo- “Last Days Of Tecumseh” - Mighty Joe Moon (1:02)
16. Peter Gabriel- “It Is Accomplished” – Passion: Soundtrack (2:55)
17. Ennio Morricone- “Miserere” – The Mission: Soundtrack (1:00)

Total runtime: 79:39

Total runtime: 157:26

Forum name: U2VertigoFly

U2VF writes: In my playlist I tried to reach to the furthest extents of interference. I wanted to make a playlist that would be generally consisted of well know artists and songs, but sometimes I chose a song that’s not necessarily the artists best or most famous but still well known, this way most people would recognize it but they may not be tired of it be fore they heard it. I kind of got into the theme of Desert Island taking it as not only you’re on and island and that’s the music you had with you, but I tried to convey what you would want to hear based on your feelings if say, your plane crashed on an island. It starts off pretty hard with AC/DC, then it moves on into more 80’s and classic rock that you can work to. Then it goes into some music for desert island ambiance like The Beach Boys and Jimmy Buffett. Then it picks up a little bit with the alternative and a little punk stuff, form there it slows down into more chilled songs Piano Man, Tiny Dancer, and gradually builds to the violins of Eleanor Rigby and finally leaves us off with the band that brought us all to interference, with at beautiful live rendition of Bad. So I hope you all enjoy my playlist.

01. AC/DC - "The Razor’s Edge" – The Razor’s Edge (4:22)
02. Robert Plant & The Strange Sensations - "Mighty Rearranger" – Mighty Rearranger (4:25)
03. The Who - "Baba O’Riley" – Who’s Next (5:08)
04. David Bowie - "Rebel Rebel" – Best of Bowie (4:31)
05. Survivor - "Burning Heart" – Rocky IV (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (3:50)
06. Queen - "Radio Ga Ga" - For Classic Queen (5:49)
07. Bruce Springsteen - "Born In The U.S.A." – Born In The U.S.A. (4:39)
08. Bon Jovi - "Livin’ On A Prayer" – Slippery When Wet (4:09)
09. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - "Saving Grace" – Highway Companion (3:45)
10. John Mellencamp - "Rain On The Scarecrow" - Scarecrow (3:48)
11. Cream - "Sunshine Of Your Love" – The Cream Of Clapton (4:11)
12. The Police - "Message In A Bottle" – The Police: Every Breath You Take– The Classics (4:51)
13. Yes - "Roundabout" – The Ultimate Yes – 35th Anniversary Collection (8:32)
14. The Rolling Stones - "Start Me Up" – Jump Back: The Best Of The Rolling Stones (3:34)
15. Chuck Berry - "Johnny B. Goode" – The Anthology (2:44)
16. The Beach Boys - "Good Vibrations" – The Greatest Hits Vol. 1 (3:37)
17. Jimmy Buffett - "Changes Of Latitudes, Changes Of Attitudes" – Meet Me In Margaritaville: The Ultimate Collection (3:17)
18. The Knack - "My Sharona" – My Sharona / Good Girls Don’t - Single (4:56)
19. Arcade Fire - "Rebellion(Lies)" – Funeral (5:10)
20. R.E.M. - "What’s The Frequency, Kenneth" – In Time – The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003 (4:00)
21. The Clash - "Rock The Casbah" – The Clash: The Singles (3:43)
22. Caesars - "Jerk It Out" – 39 Minuets Of Bliss (In An Otherwise Meaningless World (3:18)
23. Arctic Monkeys - "Fake Tales Of San Francisco" – Five Minuets With The Arctic Monkeys - Single (3:00)
24. The Shins - "Phantom Limb – Wincing The Night Away (4:47)
25. Oasis - "Wonderwall” – (What’s The Story) Morning Glory? (4:18)
26. The Killers - "Read My Mind” – Sam’s Town (4:06)
27. Elton John- "Tiny Dancer” – Elton John: The Greatest Hits 1970-2002 (6:17)
28. Billy Joel - "Piano Man” – Billy Joel: Greatest Hits, Vol. 1 & 2 (5:38)
29. Led Zeppelin - "Stairway To Heaven” – The Best Of Led Zeppelin: The Early Days (8:00)
30. Bob Dylan - "Like A Rolling Stone” – Highway 61 Revisited (6:09)
31. Johnny Cash - "Folsom Prison Blues” – Johnny Cash At Folsom Prison (Live) (2:41)
32. Don McLean - "American Pie” – Rearview Mirror (8:28)
33. The Beatles - "Eleanor Rigby” – 1 (2:06)
34. U2 - "Bad (Live)” – Wide Awake In America (4:06)

UP NEXT: Lara Mullen vs Axver

Competition master list.

Competition rules.

Competition format diagram.

Have fun!

Screwtape for sure. His tracklist has been one of my favourites since this tournament began.

And if both he and I make it to the semi-final, I think it'll be the best round in terms of overall musical quality since my repechage against Liam. :wink:

U2VF, but it was a hard decision, because I absolutely love Screwtype's first disc...it's the second one I'm not quite as fond of.

Screwtape2 said:
It's still relatively early so I wanted to wish you luck, U2VertigoFly. :wave: You have a lot of good songs on your playlist. :up:

thanks, good luck to you too. your playlist has some great songs on it as well.

You know, we did upload the songs from our compilations so that those of you who haven't heard them could give them a spin ...

Evidently, a lot of you didn't do much of that. Some of my own links are expired now, and I can't really be bothered dealing with stupid "save file.com" again.

Well, it was a fun run while it lasted. I kind of figured that I wouldn't stand much of a chance with an artistic peice with a lot of unfamiliar artists but in the end I went with something I could be proud of. I was lucky enough to make it to the quarterfinals. Thanks for all the praise. I'm not sure I deserved it considering how good other playlists were that get that same praise but thanks. Thanks to all the people that took the time to LISTEN to my playlist. I'm honored to be mentioned in the same breath with so many amazing playlists.

Good luck to you, VertigoFly.

FINALLY, PLEASE STOP VOTING SIMPLY ON HOW MANY SONGS YOU KNOW. JUST ABOUT EVERY PLAYLIST HAS BEEN AFFECTED BY THIS. CONSIDERING THE TIME AND EFFORT PEOPLE PUT INTO THESE THINGS, VOTING OR NOT VOTING FOR THEM BECAUSE OF THE AMMOUNT OF SONGS YOU KNOW IS SORT OF A SLAP IN THE FACE. EVEN MORE TIME IS SPENT UPLOADING SONGS SO THAT YOU CAN GET EXPOSED TO THE SONGS YOU DON"T KNOW.

That's for saying that Screwtape. It seems like people voted more seriously in the beginning then just got lazy.

But your list was one of my favorites evne though I wasn't initially familiar with a lot of the artists. :up:

Lancemc said:
That's for saying that Screwtape. It seems like people voted more seriously in the beginning then just got lazy.

But your list was one of my favorites evne though I wasn't initially familiar with a lot of the artists. :up:

With so many close rounds, I wonder how things would have turned out if some people weren't voting simply on what they knew. I hope this changes next time because diversity is good but if people vote on what they know then people are going to be less and less diverse. That would be a tragedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom