Desert Island Album Game: Heat 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which tracklisting do you prefer?

• hippy's tracklisting

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • LemonMacPhisto's tracklisting

Votes: 24 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the seventh round of the Interference Desert Island Album Game! The premise of this game is that the Interference forum has been stranded on a desert island and we can take only TWO CDs of up to 80 minutes of music each. The object is to see which member of the forum can fit the most musical goodness onto these two CDs.

The previous round was the closest we've had for a while, with Bono's shades just edging out Eliv8 by a margin of 16 to 12. Bono's shades shall now progress to a quarter final against Souly!

In this round, tracklistings made by hippy and LemonMacPhisto face off against each other. Below, you will find their tracklistings. If you are unfamiliar with the songs included, we can help you hear them! Just leave your e-mail address. This poll will be open for TWO DAYS.

THE TRACKLISTINGS!

Forum name: hippy

hippy writes: The songs and artists I have chosen for this mix are my identity. Each note, lyric, guitar squeal, drum beat, and vocal wail have mattered -- DO matter -- to me. They are not only the soundtrack to my life, continually playing in my head, but they are also the songs and artists that have been the most fundamental in shaping my worldview. They give me a kick in the ass when I need it, they help me cry with tears of joy and sadness, they let me be a badass, and they make me feel not quite so alone in my thoughts and feelings.

Though they are sometimes cliche, not so obscure, some old, some new, these selections are heartfelt and truly express who I am and who I want to be.

Music is identity. Here's mine...

Disc A:
1.) Oasis - "Columbia" - Definitely Maybe (6:16)
2.) Coldplay - "Don't Panic" - Parachutes (2:16)
3.) Bob Dylan - "Subterranean Homesick Blues" - Greatest Hits (2:22)
4.) Morcheeba - "The Sea" - Big Calm (5:50)
5.) U2 - "Beautiful Day" - All That You Can't Leave Behind (4:08)
6.) The Beatles - "Get Back" - 1 (3:12)
7.) Snow Patrol - "Chocolate" - Final Straw (3:11)
8.) The Streets - "Let's Push Things Forward" - Original Pirate Material (3:51)
9.) Kasabian - "L.S.F. (Lost Souls Forever)" - Kasabian (3:17)
10.) Rolling Stones - "Sympathy for the Devil" - Forty Licks (6:18)
11.) The Beatles - "Within You Without You" - Sgt. Pepper's (5:05)
12.) Bjork - "Unravel" - Homogenic (3:21)
13.) Coldplay - "A Rush of Blood to the Head" - A Rush of Blood to the Head (5:51)
14.) Clannad - "Siuil A Run (Walk My Love)" - Dulaman (5:48)
15.) Cat Stevens - "Lilywhite" - Mona Bone Jakon (3:41)
16.) Coldplay - "A Message" - X&Y (4:45)
17.) Snow Patrol - "Tiny Little Fractures" - Final Straw (2:28)
18.) Janis Joplin - "Ball & Chain" - Greatest Hits (8:01)

Total running time: 79:41

Disc B:
1.) U2 - "Gloria" - October (4:12)
2.) Embrace - "Glorious Day" - Out of Nothing (3:51)
3.) Original Soundtrack: Hair - "Aquarius" - OST: Hair (4:46)
4.) Oasis - "Go Let It Out!" - Standing on the Shoulder of Giants (4:38)
5.) The Strokes - "Juicebox" - First Impressions of Earth (3:17)
6.) Jet - "Get Me Outta Here" - Get Born (2:56)
7.) Oasis - "Mucky Fingers" - Don't Believe the Truth (3:55)
8.) The Who - "My Generation" - Then and Now (3:18)
9.) The Byrds - "Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There is a Season)" - Super Hits (3:53)
10.) U2 - "Mysterious Ways" - Achtung Baby (4:03)
11.) The Rankin Family - "Oich U Agus Hiuraibh Eile" - North Country (3:01)
12.) Jet - "Move On" - Get Born (4:20)
13.) The Stone Roses - "Breaking Into Heaven" - The Very Best of the Stone Roses (6:59)
14.) Travis - "Sing" - Singles (3:49)
15.) Massive Attack - "Teardrop" - Mezzanine (5:30)
16.) Jenny Lewis w/the Watson Twins - "Run Devil Run" - Rabbit Fur Coat (1:08)
17.) The Verve - "Bitter Sweet Symphony" - Urban Hymns (5:58)
18.) Donovan - "Colours" - Fairytale (2:47)
19.) The Redwalls - "Build a Bridge" - De Nova (3:15)
20.) The Beatles - "Revolution" - The Beatles 1967-1970 (3:23)

Total running time: 78:59

Forum name: LemonMacPhisto

Disc 1:
Side A:
1 // Pink Floyd - "Speak to Me/Breathe" - Dark Side of the Moon (3:57)
2 // The Who - "Baba O'Riley" - Who's Next (5:08)
3 // Aerosmith - "Eat the Rich" - Get a Grip (4:11)
4 // The Rolling Stones - "Brown Sugar" - Sticky Fingers (3:49)
5 // Bruce Springsteen - "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" - The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle (7:04)
6 // Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" - United (2:27)
7 // Simon & Garfunkel - "Mrs. Robinson" - Bookends (3:50)
8 // Radiohead - "Gagging Order" - Go to Sleep [Single] (3:35)
9 // The Beatles - "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" - Rubber Soul (2:02)

Side B:
10 // Dire Straits - "Money for Nothing (ft. Sting)" - Brothers in Arms (4:04)
11 // Oasis - "Acquiesce" - The Masterplan (4:30)
12 // The Wallflowers - "One Headlight" - Bringing Down the Horse (5:12)
13 // Franz Ferdinand - "This Fire" - Franz Ferdinand (4:16)
14 // Echo & the Bunnymen - "The Cutter" - Porcupine (3:54)
15 // Peter Gabriel - "Don't Give Up (ft. Kate Bush)" - So (5:55)
16 // Smashing Pumpkins - "My Blue Heaven" - Thirty-Three [Single] (3:21)
17 // R.E.M. - "Nightswimming" - Automatic for the People (4:17)
18 // David Bowie - "Changes" - Hunky Dory (3:37)
19 // U2 - "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" - The Joshua Tree (4:38)

Total running time: 79:47

Disc 2:
Side A:
1 // Coldplay - "Don't Panic" - Parachutes (2:17)
2 // The Arcade Fire - "Wake Up" - Funeral (5:35)
3 // U2 - "The Fly" - Achtung Baby (4:29)
4 // Simple Minds - "(Don't You) Forget About Me" - The Breakfast Club [Soundtrack] (4:21)
5 // The Police - "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" - Ghost in the Machine (4:20)
6 // Michael Jackson - "Billie Jean" - Thriller (4:54)
7 // Seal - "Kiss from a Rose" - Seal [1994] (4:51)
8 // The Beatles - "Strawberry Fields Forever" - Magical Mystery Tour (4:07)
9 // Bruce Springsteen - "Jungleland" - Born to Run (9:32)

Side B:
10 // The Postal Service - "Such Great Heights" - Give Up (4:26)
11 // Radiohead - "Just" - The Bends (3:53)
12 // Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Scar Tissue" - Californication (3:37)
13 // Oasis - "Half the World Away" - The Masterplan (4:21)
14 // The Flaming Lips - "Mr. Ambulance Driver" - Wedding Crashers [Soundtrack] (4:00)
15 // Death Cab for Cutie - "Passenger Seat" - Transatlantacism (3:41)
16 // David Bowie - "Heroes" - Heroes (6:08)
17 // Pink Floyd - "Wish You Were Here" - Wish You Were Here (5:17)

Total running time: 79:49

UP NEXT: BonoIsMyMuse versus MacPhistoPT

Competition master list.

See an image of the competition's format.

The competition rules.

I voted Hippy's track list!

LemonMacphisto, it was'nt so much what you had missing in your collection,it was what you had in it!!!!! "ain't no mountain high enough" :no: but :up: for "heroes" and "don't give up"

I went with Hippy, both were very varied tracklists so twas a tough choice, but Teardrop by Massive Attack, Clannad and The Stone Roses as well as Janis Joplin sold it for me.

That being said I would honestly, not want to ever, EVER listen to The Streets:wink:

fly so high! said:
I voted Hippy's track list!

LemonMacphisto, it was'nt so much what you had missing in your collection,it was what you had in it!!!!! "ain't no mountain high enough" :no: but :up: for "heroes" and "don't give up"

what's wrong with marvin gaye? :shrug:

is it right to vote in your own heat?

I don't want to potentially face one of these mixes in the next round! :grumpy:

Take that as a compliment :wink:

I voted for LemonMacPhisto because I felt like his was the more well-rounded mix (and because his had less Coldplay). hippy's mix is a good one, too, though. I especially liked "Run Devil Run," which I'd never heard before.

It was difficult, but I voted for LemonMacphisto's tracklisting because it had 50 percent less Coldplay and Beautiful Day is the one U2 song I would gladly forego ever hearing again.

LemonMacPhisto said:
is it right to vote in your own heat?

Of course, go for it.

Now, no offence to you or to hippy, but right now, I'm trying to work out which tracklisting I dislike the least. LMP, your lack of Jet may be what wins my vote.

Axver said:

Of course, go for it.

Now, no offence to you or to hippy, but right now, I'm trying to work out which tracklisting I dislike the least. LMP, your lack of Jet may be what wins my vote.

ok, cool.

surely the awesomeness of my 2nd disc will blow you away :wink:

Last edited:
Souly said:
The link to LemonMacPhisto's discs are dead for me.

you have to copy and paste the link into your address bar. Somehow an extra http got put in the link when you just click on it.

Ooh, thanks for the tip on the link! I'd been wondering why they were all accessible except for that one.

I have to go with LemonMacPhisto on this one.

BonoIsMyMuse, if you liked "Run Devil Run," you should check out the full Jenny Lewis disc, "Rabbit Fur Coat." It's very good.

voted Lemon :up:
while it doesn't 100% convince me due to the such pretty famouse hits for the artists, it seems like it would have an overall great feel to it and the order the tracks were arranged actually looks like there was thought behind it.

I thought both these track listings were brilliant and it was very difficult to pick which one to vote for. So whoever wins this round will probably get my vote for all the rounds they appear in from now on. :up:

I'm sorry, hippy and LMP, but I disliked both of your tracklistings to the point that I couldn't listen through them to assess flow. I'm honestly not going to vote. Hippy's got less I seriously dislike, but what LMP has that I like, I really like, and just when I think something has swung me in favour, I spot something in another tracklisting. So I abstain this round.

By the way, a notice on the timing of these polls:

I was previously starting each round at 8am my time. This round, however, started around midday and I will keep doing this up to and including the round starting on the 20th, as I have exams between the 15th and 20th but I will be home at midday on the three days during that period that I need to start rounds.

On the 22nd, I am going to revert to 9:30am. That time will suit me best. I realise this means quarter final 4 will start 2.5 hours before quarter final 3 finishes. However, as the participants of both are predetermined and the result of QF 3 will not alter QF 4 in any way, I don't see a problem with this, and it's better than having almost a day of downtime.

Last edited:
Axver said:
I'm sorry, hippy and LMP, but I disliked both of your tracklistings to the point that I couldn't listen through them to assess flow. I'm honestly not going to vote. Hippy's got less I seriously dislike, but what LMP has that I like, I really like, and just when I think something has swung me in favour, I spot something in another tracklisting. So I abstain this round.

wait, what did I have that you liked? You kind of stopped that thought there :huh:

LemonMacPhisto said:

wait, what did I have that you liked? You kind of stopped that thought there :huh:

The following inclusions are great:

1 // Pink Floyd - "Speak to Me/Breathe" - Dark Side of the Moon (3:57)
2 // The Who - "Baba O'Riley" - Who's Next (5:08)
10 // Dire Straits - "Money for Nothing (ft. Sting)" - Brothers in Arms (4:04)
3 // U2 - "The Fly" - Achtung Baby (4:29)
17 // Pink Floyd - "Wish You Were Here" - Wish You Were Here (5:17)

I love those songs. I'm also partial to the Police song you included ... and I must confess to enjoying that Simon and Garfunkel track too. A few of the other songs I don't mind much either, like Oasis and that Arcade Fire song.

But hippy has Clannad, The Verve (though I would've chosen A New Decade), U2's Gloria, and The Who's My Generation. :drool:

hippy said:
:sad:

But major congrats LemonMacPhisto :hug: It was a tough round... and had I not been in it, I would have had a tough time choosing. I'll be on a desert island with you and those songs anyday! :D

:hug: thanks.

I really liked your tracklisting, the 2nd disc is absolutely killer :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom