Desert Island Album Game: Grand Final!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which tracklisting do you prefer?

• VertigoGal's tracklisting

Votes: 20 39.2%
  • LemonMacPhisto's tracklisting

Votes: 31 60.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
lmjhitman said:
holy crap, brau. you sure are having a conniption over nothing. you realize that the whole desert island thing is just a concept, right? it's not really going to happen. but by all means, if you're that worried about it, make your cd's and keep them on your person at all times. that way, when you actually get to the desert island, you will be the only one with cd's and we'll HAVE to listen to your all-race/gender/genre-encompassing playlist.

i voted for the lists that had the music that i liked best, plain and simple. i voted for lists that had the songs that i wanted to listen to, not the songs that i should listen to. yes, those lists happened to be chock-full of white male artists, but i still voted for them, and i'm a visible minority female. rock music made by white men does not offend me personally - does that assuage your white male guilt? is the race and sex of the artists more important than the music itself?

i mean c'mon, this is a U2 board. most people here are devoted to a white male rock band. did you really think it would turn out any other way?

i'm gonna be real honest here, brau. i've refrained from discussing a lot of music in this particular forum lately because of your tirades against what you think is indie bullshit. it's pretty hypocritical of you to say that everyone here has shit taste in music, whereas the same statement in, say, a switchfoot thread, would garner your standard response of 'pretentious asshole!!!' with all due respect, if you want opinions, quit stifling the discussion.

What she said, to the letter.

I think he presented his points with just enough antagonism for discussion to go awry (though I personally thought it was sort of funny), but I do think Brau makes an interesting point though
I wasn't around when the desert album extravaganza started, but I would have definitely added some Coltrane, Miles Davis, Natascha Atlas, Dillinger Escape Plan and Lucinda Willams in my list if only for the diversity

personally what baffles me is that the lists that made the final have multiple songs from the same artists
so much music to chose from, so many different styles

but since I don't particularly like Coldplay, Radiohead and Pink Floyd I don't think my list would have had a lot of impact :D

I agree with lmj's post and also with most of what Salome is saying here, except the part about not liking Pink Floyd, Radiohead or Coldplay. ;)

But in hindsight, Brau HAS made a good point here, by asking why these lists should be dominated by white male rock bands. It's just the totally obnoxious way in which he did it rubbed us all the wrong way I think. :wink: I mean, it's certainly not a crime to bring up this issue but to insult people's music tastes in the process is I think wrong. Besides, who knows... many here may not be even exposed to much music by black/minority artists or women. After all, we're all fans of U2, a band composed of 4 white/caucasian guys.

Nevertheless, this has made me rethink my own desert island compilation that I posted in my journal. Watch this space. :sexywink:

Last edited:
Yeah, Brau, sorry I snapped earlier. You do raise a good point about the issue of diversity in the music. I just felt a little insulted because I value my music so much, which I'm sure you'd feel if you felt someone was attacking your music or taste, even if it's just a 2 CD sampling of it.

No hard feelings.

Lila64 said:

:lmao: :lila: ?

I voted LMP--now where's my candy?

I'm not even going to bother joining the argument here, except to say this: They're just mixes; this is just a game. I think it's dangerous to start making sweeping generalizations and judgements about people based on a limited number of songs. Get over yourself. This is intended to be something fun.

I read Page 1 of this thread. Zoned out and Spaced. Posted a silly message. Came back to earth and saw that there were 6 more pages of posts. Read the 6 more pages. Was blown away. Edited my silly post (since I can't delete it), which now seems wholly inappropriate for the conversations that have taken place since Page 1.

Last edited:
Nothing inappropiate, just silly. The first page of post was all light and fun. I posted something silly and vanilla. Then I read the rest of the 6 pages of posts and they got all nasty and heavy and serious and hostile, so my silly comment just didn't seem appropriate anymore. My silly comment was something about me wanting to play if there is another game. But now I'm not so sure if I want to play. I see some children on here don't play well with others.

Last edited:
Wow, this thread sure has exploded since I last checked B&C. :|

Well, uh, I think I'll just try to avoid any further arguing myself ...

I can name a couple of dates :D

but let's not get carried away here
it's quite alright when someone is surprised by the outcome of this game
I am

lmjhitman said:
holy crap, brau. you sure are having a conniption over nothing. you realize that the whole desert island thing is just a concept, right? it's not really going to happen. but by all means, if you're that worried about it, make your cd's and keep them on your person at all times. that way, when you actually get to the desert island, you will be the only one with cd's and we'll HAVE to listen to your all-race/gender/genre-encompassing playlist.

i voted for the lists that had the music that i liked best, plain and simple. i voted for lists that had the songs that i wanted to listen to, not the songs that i should listen to. yes, those lists happened to be chock-full of white male artists, but i still voted for them, and i'm a visible minority female. rock music made by white men does not offend me personally - does that assuage your white male guilt? is the race and sex of the artists more important than the music itself?

i mean c'mon, this is a U2 board. most people here are devoted to a white male rock band. did you really think it would turn out any other way?

i'm gonna be real honest here, brau. i've refrained from discussing a lot of music in this particular forum lately because of your tirades against what you think is indie bullshit. it's pretty hypocritical of you to say that everyone here has shit taste in music, whereas the same statement in, say, a switchfoot thread, would garner your standard response of 'pretentious asshole!!!' with all due respect, if you want opinions, quit stifling the discussion.

Jeez, I just searched and I haven't rippied on the "indie" scene in 9 months. I'd suggest you put me on ignore. If my opinions are so offensive and outlandish as to prevent you from posting yourself, it's the only option for ya. I certainly am not happy about that. :sad:

Yertle as well.

Take care.

Last edited:
MrBrau1, I don't think you would have gotten such a backlash if you had opened your own thread on the subject instead of co-opting this one. This was a fun little game about what would each participant want to listen to if he/she was stuck on a desert island for the an indefinite period. It's just what the people who wanted to play enjoy, that's all.

I don't think anyone except perhaps you, ever thought of it as who can come up with two discs of the most diverse music ever. Now that could be a great subject for another thread and even another poll, but did you really think that you were going to spark honest, open discussion with your first post in this thread?

VertigoGal said:
I guess that makes me the loser. :sad: :sad:

I think you did great. You got a hell of a lot more votes than I would have ever gotten. :yes:

...of course I don't think I would have gotten any. :sad: :laugh:

VertigoGal said:
I guess that makes me the loser. :sad: :sad:

Your mix is great :up:

Losing in the finals is better than losing anywhere else.

Hell, you weren't even sure if people would like yours, remember?

indra said:
MrBrau1, I don't think you would have gotten such a backlash if you had opened your own thread on the subject instead of co-opting this one. This was a fun little game about what would each participant want to listen to if he/she was stuck on a desert island for the an indefinite period. It's just what the people who wanted to play enjoy, that's all.

I don't think anyone except perhaps you, ever thought of it as who can come up with two discs of the most diverse music ever. Now that could be a great subject for another thread and even another poll, but did you really think that you were going to spark honest, open discussion with your first post in this thread?

I don't doubt you.

Music is a wondeful rainbow with so many amazing colors and shades. So many different sounds, voices, texture ,and approaches. The idea that only one of those colors is worth hearing for eternity makes me sick. Whether it be country, metal, jazz, indie, funk, classical, hip hop, or whatever.

Ax, LMP and VertigoGal, I'm sorry I blew up your thread.

Poor judgement on my part.

VertigoGal said:
haha thanks guys...I will carry on...somehow :sad:

;)

Yeah I didn't think I'd get this far, twas a fun little game, and I congratulate you dear LMP :applaud:

thanks, now go to the Temple Bar, I'll buy you a drink :wink:

VertigoGal's........I think a lot of you haven't heard some of the indie material on it, so you're voting for the other because you know everything on it. Both are two of the more listenable compilations so far, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom