Desert Island 3 Master List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
corianderstem said:
For the next game, can we add a new rule that says if one of the tracks you want to use is in a protected format, you either unprotect it by burning it and then re-converting it back onto your computer, find an unprotected version of the song, or you just don't use that song?

I know this came up earlier in the thread, but I'm just now getting around to putting the lists onto my iPod, and there are 8 songs on angelordevil's list that I won't be able to listen to.

I'm sure the protected files just go unnoticed, or maybe some don't realize they can't be played on other computers, but if people want their whole list to be heard, then they just can't use those tracks.

I just think maybe it needs to be a reminder up front, so participants are on the lookout for that sort of thing when constructing their lists.

Just my $0.02. :)

That is a great idea. :)

I've been trying to figure this out for the past three days. :sad:

I had no idea the songs in question are protected from copying...I can't even burn them to another CD, which is extremely frustrating. I paid for these songs/albums online! Aside from creating a theme, flow, etc, the great thing about this contest is how sharing a song from an artist can spur further interest, (and further money for the artist, ultimately), but I'm prevented from doing this! Kinda crazy. I'm desperately trying to find a solution. I'll report back shortly...sorry for the inconvenience. I'd obviously love for everyone to hear the songs. :(

Screwtape2 said:

I have to break up the folders to meet the mediafire limit. I've tagged the tracks as VF1, VF2 and so on. All people have to do is finish tagging according to master list.

Sounds good :up:

Seeing some of the NFL Hall of Fame coverage, an idea sparked in my head:

A Desert Island Hall of Fame :wink:

We could induct...

Two or three playlists from any of the games/mini-games
Two people based on all thier work
Two matches that were exceptional

It would be a nice nostalgic thing that honors those great matches, playlists and people. We would do this after every Desert Island Game. Great idea, bad idea or have I simply lost my mind?

Last edited:
Interference would nominate certain people, playlists and matches with a short paragraph making a case for a person's induction. You can’t vote for yourself but you can vote for a match you were in.

Then we take all the nominees and have multiple choice polls with links to matches and master lists. Plus the best paragraph/case for each nominee is put next to the respective nominee.

The Top 5 playlists meet in single choice poll (top 3 are inducted)
The Top 4 people meet in single choice poll (the top 2 are inducted)
The Top 4 matches meet in single choice poll (the top 2 are inducted)

Again, is anyone into this idea at all?

I dunno ... between the desert island competitions and the mini symphonic competition ... isn't that enough competitions?

corianderstem said:
I dunno ... between the desert island competitions and the mini symphonic competition ... isn't that enough competitions?

But it isn't a competition. It is a short time to honor and remember. The polls are just a scientific way of finding out this stuff out. The polls can be done in a matter of a couple days right after this competition.

I know LMP and I discussed doing something like this before. A little nostalgia is never a bad thing. It will also help people with ideas and finding what really works for future editions.

um... how the heck are we supposed to know what tracks of U2VF's are which? :der: I've just downloaded the first link in the email, and it has a McCartney song and Elvis Presley, both of which are near the beginning & end of his list. And of the artists I don't know, I don't know who or what the song is... Is it just me? :reject:

Downloading the second link now, but have to leave soon...

I have loads of time on my hands, so I just renamed all the tracks according to the list posted on the first page of this thread.

The numbers are in the track titles Screwtape threw together, but I wanted to know what I was listening to.

Lila64 said:
um... how the heck are we supposed to know what tracks of U2VF's are which? :der: I've just downloaded the first link in the email, and it has a McCartney song and Elvis Presley, both of which are near the beginning & end of his list. And of the artists I don't know, I don't know who or what the song is... Is it just me? :reject:

Downloading the second link now, but have to leave soon...

Unfortunately, his links weren't tagged and I didn't have the time to. You have to tag them yourselves matching the track number to the song. Sorry. :reject:

Screwtape2 said:

Unfortunately, his links weren't tagged and I didn't have the time to. You have to tag them yourselves matching the track number to the song. Sorry. :reject:

This is fun -- the track numbers on the MP3 files don't match the track list on page 1, so I'm playing "guess the song"! <smile>

SeattleVertigo said:

This is fun -- the track numbers on the MP3 files don't match the track list on page 1, so I'm playing "guess the song"! <smile>

That's what I'm trying to say! :hi5: :| :huh: :mad:

3,5,6,7,8 = Smashing Pumpkins, Springsteen, Queen, U2, Elvis Presley

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
For the next game, can we add a new rule that says if one of the tracks you want to use is in a protected format, you either unprotect it by burning it and then re-converting it back onto your computer, find an unprotected version of the song, or you just don't use that song?

I know this came up earlier in the thread, but I'm just now getting around to putting the lists onto my iPod, and there are 8 songs on angelordevil's list that I won't be able to listen to.

I'm sure the protected files just go unnoticed, or maybe some don't realize they can't be played on other computers, but if people want their whole list to be heard, then they just can't use those tracks.

I just think maybe it needs to be a reminder up front, so participants are on the lookout for that sort of thing when constructing their lists.

Just my $0.02. :)

Good idea, and to elaborate further, we should identify which formats should be downloaded when doing this. Perhaps limited to say, mp3 and aac (unprotected), or something like that.

Screwtape2 said:

We could induct...

It would be a nice nostalgic thing that honors those great matches, playlists and people. We would do this after every Desert Island Game. Great idea, bad idea or have I simply lost my mind?

I like the idea, but I don't think it would be needed after every competition. Wouldn't be much of a Hall Of Fame if it happened so often.

corianderstem said:
I have loads of time on my hands, so I just renamed all the tracks according to the list posted on the first page of this thread.

The numbers are in the track titles Screwtape threw together, but I wanted to know what I was listening to.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing.

phanan said:

I like the idea, but I don't think it would be needed after every competition. Wouldn't be much of a Hall Of Fame if it happened so often.

Yeah, I was thinking of increasing the number of people and playlists to four then doing this again when it feels right. Let's see what Axver has to say and go from there. :)

Screwtape2 said:

We could induct...

This could be interesting, but I agree with those who think we shouldn't do it too regularly. Perhaps just once a year?

Axver said:

This could be interesting, but I agree with those who think we shouldn't do it too regularly. Perhaps just once a year?

Alright, once a year then. :)

People can start posting those nominations or e-mailing them to me. We are looking at people who deserve a spot based on career work, playlists that belong in the hall of fame and the best matches.

You know, I think the Symphonic mini-tournament that follows this one is going to produce some really creative entries. I think it would be better to hold off on the initial Hall of Fame until after that one has finished.

Just my opinion. I think that little tournament is going to be the most diverse out of any and produce some amazing stuff that would be very HOF worthy without having to wait another year to recognize it.

phanan said:
You know, I think the Symphonic mini-tournament that follows this one is going to produce some really creative entries. I think it would be better to hold off on the initial Hall of Fame until after that one has finished.

Just my opinion. I think that little tournament is going to be the most diverse out of any and produce some amazing stuff that would be very HOF worthy without having to wait another year to recognize it.

I agree. My new thought is that we do it in two steps. The first covers Desert Island 1, 2 and the prog game. The second covers this current one and the next mini-game. What I mean is that we get a top 5 from the first three games and a top 5 from the next two. Then after we have a final ten that people will break down to the five inductees. That would make sure there is diversity in terms of the games. All we would do at this point is reach a top 5 from the first three games. Would you be okay with that?

EDIT: This would also make it more far to those in the first game.

Okay...

This is the plan for the Hall of Fame. People can nominate any person, playlist or match from the first, second, prog and now third Desert Island Games as well as the Symphonic Album game when it comes along.

When you nominate a person, just mention a few things they do very well. This all adds up to create a sort of "resume." There will be a multiple choice poll after the mini-game that features these nominees. You will choose those you believe belong in the Hall of Fame. The top 5 finishers will be inducted.

When you nominate a playlist, describe why it deserves to be honored like this. There will be a "resume" for playlists as well. You nominate a playlist from any Desert Island Game. At some point before the mini-game, the playlist nominees from Desert Island 1, 2 and the prog game will be featured in a multiple choice poll. You will choose those playlists you believe are deserving of being in the Hall of Fame. The top ten will go against the top ten of the Desert Island 3 and Symphonic Album poll, which will be the same way. The top 8 from those twenty will be inducted.

When you nominate a great match, just say why it was memorable. The nominees from all the games will meet and the top ten will be inducted as Desert Island Classics.

You can nominate by posting in ongoing Desert Island threads or just e-mail me your nominees at InaKafkaTragedy@aol.com. Have fun! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom