Desert Island 3 Master List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lancemc said:

Really, we should emphasize that the # of songs you like should only count for something if you actualy listen to the entire playlist.

We're trying to eliminate the "Look at playlist, count # of songs I know, vote for the one with the highest" method we encoutered last time.

Exactly. I think people should judge by the whole experience if you listen to the playlists. Think about what playlists invoke something in you or effect you in some way. Certain ones will stand out.

I think flow and texture should be emphasized is time because, quite frankly, the playlists kind of run together if you just look at them. :yawn: Many of the artists and even the songs are similar this time, so you'll have to hear them to really make the right decision.

LemonMelon said:
I think flow and texture should be emphasized is time because, quite frankly, the playlists kind of run together if you just look at them. :yawn: Many of the artists and even the songs are similar this time, so you'll have to hear them to really make the right decision.

I've found that almost every one of the playlists has a unique feel to them. A couple songs were used a multiple times but they were often used differently. So I'd agree that people should really try to listen to a couple of the playlists. Using yours for example, the overall feeling of the listen is the strength of your list but that isn't visible by simply looking at which tracks you have. The experience is so important for so many of these playlists.

Indeed. :up:

a good song is good no matter how many time it's used or how well-known or not-so-known it is, too.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Why are you against iTunes?

I've been through this before. I refuse to upload a shit load of new artists and albums from these playlists into my iTunes catalogue, as it's organized very particularly by artists and full albums.

I'd like to so something like Axver suggested with opening the playlists in Winamp. Only, I can't use Winamp on a Mac.

i just bit the bullet and used itunes. in itunes, i have a folder for this competition and each competitor has their own playlist with their songs in order. it took me an extra 30 seconds to organise the songs :shrug:

that is, except for those who didn't tag their tracks at all and left me having to look shit up :mad:

I tagged my playlist so that if you upload it into iTunes, it will be all together, in order. This way you don't have to go through and create the playlist yourself - it's already set up for you.

And after you've listened, if there are songs you didn't previously have that you wish to keep, all one has to do is change the album name back to the original.

I think that's the easiest way. Screwtape's list was also in order already when I imported into iTunes. All I did there was create album names to find them easy on my iPod (using A Little Chopin and Nightflight), but it was nice and simple.

Lancemc said:

I've been through this before. I refuse to upload a shit load of new artists and albums from these playlists into my iTunes catalogue, as it's organized very particularly by artists and full albums.

I'd like to so something like Axver suggested with opening the playlists in Winamp. Only, I can't use Winamp on a Mac.

Oh, okay, forgot about that.

I upload them into iTunes, it gets a little tedious but if I intend to keep them later, it makes things easier.

I'd like to throw my two cents into the ring that while yes, it's better than You Send It or Rapid Share due to their various constraints, I'm not thrilled with Media Fire.

I had one or two problems downloading with the first batch, and now already it stopped downloading one file halfway through, and now I get a "page cannot be displayed" error message when I try and do it again.

It's irritating. :grumpy:

But I'm sure there will be random problems with any file sharing service, so what are you gonna do? :shrug:

corianderstem said:
I'd like to throw my two cents into the ring that while yes, it's better than You Send It or Rapid Share due to their various constraints, I'm not thrilled with Media Fire.

I had one or two problems downloading with the first batch, and now already it stopped downloading one file halfway through, and now I get a "page cannot be displayed" error message when I try and do it again.

It's irritating. :grumpy:

But I'm sure there will be random problems with any file sharing service, so what are you gonna do? :shrug:

I can't believe there are so many Mediafire problems considering that I haven't had a single one and I'm the one who has dealt the most with it. :confused:

I haven't encountered any real problems yet. I do think we should have stuck with save file, though, as we never had any problems with it at all, to my knowledge.

U2VertigoFly's list - not sure what's up with that. The supposed zip file is like 3KB, not a mega zip, and then when you open the file, the extensions are .cda or .cad (I dunno, I deleted the one I downloaded).

Heard most of phanan's today. Trying to d/l angelordevil's now.
I never had problems downloading zip files until this competition. Figures :|

Apparently files can't keep iTunes album art with them when it's moved from one comp to the other.

There goes 2 hours of my day.

hly_sht_cat.jpg

:happy:

At least all of the album names are right so when I get internet back on my computer I can use the trusty "get artwork" button.

I have every playlist except VertigoFlys and I'm listening to Lance's right now.

Mars, the Bringer of War -> Gimme Shelter ftw! :drool:

:lol:

I'll be downloading the rest tomorrow and getting them ready to take on my trip. I'll have to email votes for the first few rounds, since I'll be gone through the 15th.

I guess I'll hold off on downloading U2vertigofly's tracks until we figure out what the heck to do with those .cda files.

Maybe CDex will convert them ... I'll give it a try.

Edit: Nope.

Last edited:
I've been trying to listen to angelordevil's playlist today. A few songs come up with license protections, and I can't play them :shrug: Yes, I downloaded the current Windows Media Player as well as updating my IE. :shrug: That's the first time that's happened (Tragically Hip, Annie Lennox, John Williams/ET, so far). Happened with the Pearl Jam track too, but I have that track already (and used it on my playlist as well! :wink: )

I won't get a chance to hear all the playlists before I leave on a short trip next week. If I haven't heard the ones being voted on, I may not vote in those rounds...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom