Desert Island 3 Master List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMelon said:
It's total competition suicide, as variety is prized here, but there has never been a list quite like it, and with some slow jamz thrown in, it wouldn't be static.

I look at it as more variety because not too many people have explored that genre in this game. I don't know how well you'd do in the competition, but really, it's all about the music anyway. Voting is really an afterthought, if you think about it. The most exciting part of the game is when we first get all the lists and the links to listen to them, IMO.

I usually add certain electronic elements to my list, and I've been thinking about diving into that genre a bit more, and that probably wouldn't go over well, either, but that wouldn't be the point for me, anyway.

Also, a note to everyone. Later today, Round 2 starts, and we'll be having four rounds going simultaneously and lasting for only 24 hours, now that we've gone through almost all the playlists once. This will allow the game to progress faster.

Can't wait to see how the next rounds go...

LemonMelon said:
Motown
Deep 70's funk grooves
Indietastic dance rock
80's guilty pleasures
Funky old-school rap
Catchy, danceable Britpop

... oh dear. My tastes are scarred just thinking of that. :wink:

Maybe I should do my metal mix just as retaliation. :hmm:

Proto-doom
Drone doom
Doom death
Progressive death
Tech death
Avantgarde black
Atmospheric black
Holy unblack

Now we're talking!

Screwtape2 said:
I must know what this is. :wink:

This gives me an excuse to prattle on about metal. :wink:

Context is important and I don't expect many Interferencers will know it. Black metal arose in Norway as a response to the perceived imposition of Christianity on Norwegian culture, hence the name: black being the opposite of white, the Christian holy and pure colour. Many people associate it with Satanism (often a very misunderstood concept in itself), but black metal's origins are more in a celebration of traditional pre-Christian Norwegian culture and an often militantly anti-Christian stance.

Now, some say that black metal is inextricably intertwined with this background. Others say that's bullshit; it is a musical sound, an aesthetic, and that you can't base a genre on ideology or lyrical content (especially a genre such as black metal, where the hoarse shrieks and wails of the vocalists are rarely even remotely comprehensible and function as another instrument). Those who say it's bullshit include Jayson Sherlocke, a Melbourne metal musician who was the sole member of Horde. In response to the anti-Christian lyrical themes common to the genre, Horde recorded an album with the black metal style that favoured the Christian God.

This album was called Hellig Usvart, "holy unblack" in Norwegian, and it caused quite a controversy - including death threats against the record label. Some Christian black metal bands already existed, most notably Norway's Antestor, but Hellig Usvart was the album, and since then, Christian black metal - often considered an oxymoronic term - has also been referred to as "holy unblack".

As an aside, I just mentioned Antestor. Euronymous, prominent member of seminal black metal band Mayhem (who was murdered by bandmate and racist fuckwit Varg Vikernes, best known for his Burzum project), said that the black metal scene would force Antestor to split up. Quite the opposite happened - Mayhem's drummer, Jan Axel "Hellhammer" Blomberg, has drummed on Antestor's last two albums!

Axver said:

This gives me an excuse to prattle on about metal. :wink:

Context is important and I don't expect many Interferencers will know it. Black metal arose in Norway as a response to the perceived imposition of Christianity on Norwegian culture, hence the name: black being the opposite of white, the Christian holy and pure colour. Many people associate it with Satanism (often a very misunderstood concept in itself), but black metal's origins are more in a celebration of traditional pre-Christian Norwegian culture and an often militantly anti-Christian stance.

Now, some say that black metal is inextricably intertwined with this background. Others say that's bullshit; it is a musical sound, an aesthetic, and that you can't base a genre on ideology or lyrical content (especially a genre such as black metal, where the hoarse shrieks and wails of the vocalists are rarely even remotely comprehensible and function as another instrument). Those who say it's bullshit include Jayson Sherlocke, a Melbourne metal musician who was the sole member of Horde. In response to the anti-Christian lyrical themes common to the genre, Horde recorded an album with the black metal style that favoured the Christian God.

This album was called Hellig Usvart, "holy unblack" in Norwegian, and it caused quite a controversy - including death threats against the record label. Some Christian black metal bands already existed, most notably Norway's Antestor, but Hellig Usvart was the album, and since then, Christian black metal - often considered an oxymoronic term - has also been referred to as "holy unblack".

I see. Interesting genre. I love when music goes in those almost shady regions. I've always looked at some of those other genres as the sound of the future. It is basically Blade Runner music.

We need some tracks for a Supertracklist for the Symphonic Mini-Game. Perhaps you could include some tracks of that genre to create the most insane playlist of all time. :drool:

Black metal is insane; more than that, it's truly fucked up. It does have its share of highly talented musicians though (most notably Hellhammer, the single best drummer I've heard in my life), and it is very devoted to a particular artistic style and aesthetic. Dedicated black metallers show some of the most intense devotion to their music of any musicians I have ever encountered.

And I hate to think how on earth you'd fit something like Horde's Invert The Inverted Cross into the Supertracklist ... but damn, you're tempting me. It'd be hilarious.

Maybe I should just go all out and submit a black metal track (probably the aforementioned Horde track) and something by Plastic People of the Universe, an underground Czechoslovakian psychedelic/prog/jazz band from the communist era. They were part of the infamous "Jazz Section" of the musicians' union and their arrest inspired Charter 77.

Last edited:
Screwtape2 said:
In the middle of a song should I expect subliminal readings of Marx. :hyper:

Hah, no, they copped a lot of shit from the Dubcek regime, were arrested, and one member was even deported.

One of my university lecturers saw them live. He remarked that it was the only time he ever felt sorry for the communist secret police who sometimes infiltrated the Plastic People's secret concerts. He said the two hour concert primarily consisted of recitation of German poetry over pounding drumming.

Axver said:

Hah, no, they copped a lot of shit from the Dubcek regime, were arrested, and one member was even deported.

Wow. At least they made art they believed in.

Axver said:

One of my university lecturers saw them live. He remarked that it was the only time he ever felt sorry for the communist secret police who sometimes infiltrated the Plastic People's secret concerts. He said the two hour concert primarily consisted of recitation of German poetry over pounding drumming.

:lol: Now you have to send me a track or two by them. :wink:

I'll definitely provide you with some of their material. I think some is enjoyable, while some is just a total mess!

E-mailing now. :)

Might take a while though due to my slow upload speeds.

Axver said:

... oh dear. My tastes are scarred just thinking of that. :wink:

Maybe I should do my metal mix just as retaliation. :hmm:

Proto-doom
Drone doom
Doom death
Progressive death
Tech death
Avantgarde black
Atmospheric black
Holy unblack

Now we're talking!

:up: You'd fare even more poorly than I would! (Though I am curious to hear what "holy unblack metal" sounds like. :lol: )

I decided to just to go with my previous list for DI4, but I do have a good reason. Part of the novelty of my previous DI4 list is that 1) it shows off a huge number of artists I've never used before (the variety is immense) and 2) it's the first list playlist I've done in an actual "playlist" style. If I were to put this dance playlist first (which uses artists from both lists and is done in a playlist style), it would make the other one seem really lazy and uninteresting. That's my reasoning, anyway.

I do hope you were scarred by Horde or Antestor. :wink:

(A lot of holy unblack metal really, really, REALLY sucks, but those two are a couple of my favourite black metal bands full stop.)

Screwtape2 said:
You never know. He'll get the support of the doom death crowd. :shrug:

:wink:

Oh, yeah, such a huge crowd. A crowd of one Axver.

And maybe Liamcool if I'm lucky.

Phanan, I’d like for us to do a four-person match in Round 4 for Group 1. With so many close matches, I’d like to make sure the tiebreakers are even and only having everyone do four rounds does that. Plus U2VF and Lancemc would get the full 4 rounds and a one last hurrah, I suppose. Last time I checked, 8 of the 16 heats were decided by 4 points or less.

Would that work for you?

phanan said:
I'm not sure if it is going to make any difference, though. Group 1 isn't as close as the other ones.

I mean in terms of tiebreakers in the quarterfinals and semi-finals. I think it would be a little more fair if those who go on from our group had the same chance with everyone else in postseason tiebreakers. With only three matches, one of us could have a better point differential than we would after 4 matches. I just want to make sure everything is fair. Plus it is only one more round. :shrug:

Ok, I see what you're saying. This is basically what I was talking about before. Whoever in Group 1 advances should have four rounds of voting like everyone else.

We could do a Round 4 for Group 1 with all four of us, as you suggest. Or perhaps when the top two in each group advance to the quarterfinals, we wipe the slate clean, which would eliminate the need for Group 1 to do another round.

Your call. I'll do either way.

phanan said:
Ok, I see what you're saying. This is basically what I was talking about before. Whoever in Group 1 advances should have four rounds of voting like everyone else.

We could do a Round 4 for Group 1 with all four of us, as you suggest. Or perhaps when the top two in each group advance to the quarterfinals, we wipe the slate clean, which would eliminate the need for Group 1 to do another round.

Your call. I'll do either way.

We do need a tiebreaker system because I can see a tie sometime in the quarterfinals or semi-finals. Let's just do the 4 player Round 4 match. It will be easy and a neat, understandable conclusion to Group 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom