Desert Island 2.5: Prog Island Album Game Rules and Sign-up Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say I got to hear some Marillion today while working - 'Misplaced Childhood' CD, various tracks. It's been so long :drool:

Only listened/liked the first 3 albums. Saw Marillion twice in the 80s with Fish. Once at the Roxy in Hollywood and then again at a theater in Beverly Hills. I think I had the 4th row. I remember Fish walking off the stage down an aisle in the audience (singing, not pissed off or anything). :drool:

Actually, there can be some editing. Remember, we're going by official runtimes here. Now, sometimes you've just got to deal with these imperfections because that's how it was made, but if your copy is a bit dodgy and includes a fade-out from a previous track or an extended gap of silence that actually shouldn't be there in the first place, you're allowed to edit it out. I really don't think this is ultimately a big deal anyway - I suspect most people don't know how to edit songs in the first place.

Personally, I have one song that has a bit of another song's outro at its very beginning, but my copy conforms to the official runtime so I can't do anything about it. So I just paired it with a song where it sounds natural anyway. I don't even notice the problem unless I listen very, very closely.

Axver said:
Actually, there can be some editing. Remember, we're going by official runtimes here. Now, sometimes you've just got to deal with these imperfections because that's how it was made, but if your copy is a bit dodgy and includes a fade-out from a previous track or an extended gap of silence that actually shouldn't be there in the first place, you're allowed to edit it out.

In this age of downloading, this is what I'm talking about. I know I have copies of albums that might not have exactly the same tracking as the official release, and sometimes I've had to fix it to make it conform. Usually we are only talking about a second at most, though, so in the grand scheme of things, it really isn't a big deal.

Other times, an album is officially released in different formats for different territories, and every now and then the tracking might not be exactly the same. Hell, we've got some U2 examples that fit that (One Tree Hill/Exit anyone?).

Luckily, I don't have any of those issues on my playlist, so that's good. But when GG mentioned Any Colour You Like earlier (even though she wasn't using that), it got me thinking. Dark Side Of The Moon has been reissued so many times over the years, and I'm certain there are subtle differences in where tracks begin and end on each version. I probably wasn't being very clear earlier on what I was getting at...

phanan said:

I'm certain there are subtle differences in where tracks begin and end on each version.

Oh, definitely. I can personally attest to this when it comes to Pink Floyd albums. My father has a lot of the first Pink Floyd albums to come out in CD format. Most were made in the late 80s/early 90s before the remasters came out. I've had to replace some of them with reissues due to scratches and whatnot. They are all completely different. The biggest difference of all comes with The Final Cut. On my father's copy, the title track begins with "and still the dark stain spreads between their shoulder blades" - a fourty second section that isn't supposed to be there! My 2004 remaster has that bit tacked onto the end of Southampton Dock where it is supposed to be. There are similar issues with the old Wish You Were Here CD and the remastered version. So depending on which copy you have, the "official" time listings can differ tremendously.

That's a huge screwup with The Final Cut. I don't think my old version ever did that, but it did have a split second of the ending of Southampton Dock on it, whereas on the remaster, they fixed it so The Final Cut starts nice and clean with the piano.

Whoever has The Court of the Crimson King might get my vote.

Or Roundabout.

Or One of These Days. :macdevil:

I'm definitely going to listen to these playlists, I've been kind of wanting an intro to listening to some good prog rock.

The Court Of The Crimson King is on mine.

I have most of the big classic prog acts (Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Genesis, etc.) on mine, mixed in with newer material and the occasional song from a totally different progressive tangent.

I'm not as knowledgeable about Prog Rock as I would like to be. The only bands I'm familiar with are Floyd (of course), some Genesis (mostly the pop-y Phil Collins one :lol: ), 1 song by King Crimson, 1 by Moody Blues, Dream Theater and a number of artists. So I'm definitely looking forward to downloading lots of good music and expanding my horizons. :drool:

edit: Oh.. and a few hits by Rush! And I'm probably forgetting some other bands but nothing major.

Zootlesque said:

edit: Oh.. and a few hits by Rush!

Finally! I was wondering when they'd get a mention. Rush could very well have the best drummer in the universe, and one of the best bassists. Plus, they're Canadian, and Canadians are very progressive by nature.

Zootlesque said:
I'm not as knowledgeable about Prog Rock as I would like to be.

Me, too! But I'm open to learning. Aside from PF, and two Rush albums, most of my tastes could be classified as regressive :wink:

I can't wait for this. I've been really enjoying what I've heard so far that you guys have referred to as prog so I can't wait to hear entire lists

Axver, I was thinking that two weeks is a long time for people to wait for prog so what do you think about taking the first four entries and sending them out a little before the deadline? That would give listeners more time to take in the playlists and begin the conversion of B&C into a prog forum a little sooner.

That could be a good idea, though personally, I'm still tinkering with the order of my playlist.

Also, do we have a better site for uploads than save file?

Axver said:
That could be a good idea, though personally, I'm still tinkering with the order of my playlist.

Also, do we have a better site for uploads than save file?

I think enough people will be ready before the deadline so let's do that.

I prefer to save file. I don't know how long the file stays up there but you don't have to break up the playlist. If everyone uploaded a zip there it would take a couple hours but you could do other things until it's done. I'd go with that.

Where did you recommend? It seems Interference's filter edited it out.

I normally favour save file because of the ability to have single tracks - people then only download what they don't know. But in this case, it's probably safe to say most of these tracklists will be largely if not entirely foreign to most downloaders.

Axver said:
Where did you recommend? It seems Interference's filter edited it out.

I normally favour save file because of the ability to have single tracks - people then only download what they don't know. But in this case, it's probably safe to say most of these tracklists will be largely if not entirely foreign to most downloaders.

Send :happy: space dot com.

^I agree with the single file downloads. It was a semi-deterent in the last game to do individual tracks :reject:

BTW GG - I PM'd those requested tracks last night :shh:

It's not considered prog in the truest sense of the word, but kind of like an offshoot most commonly referred to as "experimental" rock. Which, to me anyway, is just another form of progressive music. After all, progressive rock is all about experimenting with new soundscapes and how they flow from one to the other.

My preliminary list (which keeps changing) had Sigur Ros on it at one point, although I'm unsure if they will make my cut.

The black queen chants
The funeral march,
The cracked brass bells will ring;
To summon back the fire witch
To the court of the crimson king

I love this song so much!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

Screwtape2 said:

Send :happy: space dot com.

Send space used to be pretty good, though I've noticed a marked downturn in their quality lately. That said, they're probably still the best bet. I'd be willing to go with that.

Now, we just need our eight contestants. We still haven't got our eighth contestant (I'm willing to go with each of us submitting roughly half an hour of material to fill the spot), and given his reputation for being a bit of a joker, I'd like to how just how serious Canadiens' intentions to compete are.

And with regards to the matter of Sigur Ros, I wouldn't consider them prog, but if someone included them in a tracklist, I wouldn't ask them to remove it either. Prog's boundaries can be vague - and often too subjective. A few of my inclusions may not initially strike people as prog. The most notable is Split Enz, who are best known for arty and quirky pop-rock but whose earlier albums were more along prog rock lines (I'm using the awesome Time For A Change in my tracklist, despite the temptation to throw in Sweet Talking Spoon Song just for shits and giggles).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom