Desert Island 2.5: Prog Island Album Game Rules and Sign-up Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMelon said:

I have only heard of Utopia up to this point, including from my own father who saw them live (he commented that Rundgren's guitar playing was stellar). I agree that Zen Archer is pretty prog, as is Breathless. (I'm starting to see how broad prog actually is...I think even Funkadelic could qualify [another artist I adore] ) Rundgren made it on to my list for the next Desert Island game, but due to lack of time I could only fit I Saw The Light. :slant:

On the Focus front, I'm just skipping around. I loved the shredding guitar in Hocus Pocus, Harem has a great vibe, but I especially loved Janis; the bass line is killer and the flute compliments it surprisingly well. :up:

Wait until you hear my playlist. Todd Rundgren's guitar playing with Utopia will blow you away. His work on Wizard and Todd are only the tip of the iceberg.

As for Focus, you should download the live album too. They were one of the best live acts from a musical stand point back then.

:sad: I found out something very sad the other day.

My copy of Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is all screwed up. :crack: Time to shell out $22 for a new copy.

Oh well, I hope the liner notes are killer at least. :yes:

Screwtape2 said:
Maybe it would be neat to compile bonus tracks from the contestants and send them out with the entries. :hmm: Great idea or terrible idea, Axver?

Isn't that just flouting the time limit rule? :wink:

But yeah, that could be cool.

LemonMelon said:
:sad: I found out something very sad the other day.

My copy of Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is all screwed up. :crack: Time to shell out $22 for a new copy.

Oh well, I hope the liner notes are killer at least. :yes:

Aren't there a whole set of Genesis remasters coming out sometime this year? If the remastered Lamb isn't out yet, I'd wait until it does come out before buying a new copy if I were you.

Though I'm not really up with the play on what Genesis albums have and haven't been remastered yet. I just recall reading a couple of months ago that all the albums are being remastered in conjunction with the band's reunion or something along those lines.

Axver said:

Aren't there a whole set of Genesis remasters coming out sometime this year? If the remastered Lamb isn't out yet, I'd wait until it does come out before buying a new copy if I were you.

Though I'm not really up with the play on what Genesis albums have and haven't been remastered yet. I just recall reading a couple of months ago that all the albums are being remastered in conjunction with the band's reunion or something along those lines.

(!) Ah, yes, you would be correct. I read earlier this evening on wikipedia about a Foxtrot remaster, so I suppose it's only logical that there would be one for LLDOB as well. I think it could be an SACD hybrid.

Hubby (who needs to register :angry: ) asked if he used Supper's Ready, could he break it up and just use part of it?

\hates being a secretary relaying questions

Screwtape2 said:

With the bonus tracks, maybe you wouldn't know who submitted them?

Or...the sub-genres of Prog could each be represented by some bonus tracks. Sort of a Prog rock road map. :shrug:

Hmm. We could do something like that. Or if we don't get an eighth contestant, maybe we can tell notAxver to go to hell and make an eighth playlist where each contestant submits some "bonus tracks" and we make them into a full playlist?

Axver said:

Hmm. We could do something like that. Or if we don't get an eighth contestant, maybe we can tell notAxver to go to hell and make an eighth playlist where each contestant submits some "bonus tracks" and we make them into a full playlist?

Well, only if notAxver agrees. :wink: It would interesting to see if what we discard ends up beating us.

notAxver said:

I'm coming to poison your dinner. :mad:

I've got an amazing playlist of 10 songs that runs for 6 hours 10 minutes. It will win. :up:

What if I offer you one of these? Will you be my friend?
timtam.jpg

:wink:

ETA: By the way 'Lamb Lies Down On Broadway' is currently out of print. So perhaps that is one of the titles being re-issued later on this year. A few were re-issued this past week w/bonus DVD material. I found that out when I wanted to pick up 'Duke', and noticed it was out of print, but being re-released. I don't need the bonus stuff, especially for the bonus price. I'll have to keep an eye out for a used copy or something. Or break out the vinyl, which I might actually have :hmm:

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:
:crack: I just want to hear Carpet Crawlers again soon. :D

I'm not a huge fan of the Lamb...but Carpet Crawlers is one of the few songs on it I love. :up: Speaking of that album, I wish there was some way to make Hairless Heart flow into Any Colour You Like. :drool: Spacey synth overload!

Screwtape2 said:

I listened to both after reading this post they seem to flow into each other perfectly. :shrug:

Hmm. It doesn't really work for me. I've got an older copy of DSOTM, maybe that's why...the first split second of Any Colour You Like has Rick's little "ahhh" from the very end of Us And Them, so it sounds a bit sketchy. If it started right when the bass and drums came in, it would be fine.

GibsonGirl said:

Hmm. It doesn't really work for me. I've got an older copy of DSOTM, maybe that's why...the first split second of Any Colour You Like has Rick's little "ahhh" from the very end of Us And Them, so it sounds a bit sketchy. If it started right when the bass and drums came in, it would be fine.

I have the "ahhh" too. To me Hairless Heart sounds very formal and restrained. So when the "ahhh" comes in it seems like the music is finally breathing and allowed to descent into something playful. Or maybe I'm just crazy. :wink:

I don't think it's a big deal to edit the end of a previous song off of something you want to use as long as you aren't editing the song you're using itself.

That's probably not worded very well, but you know what I mean.

phanan said:
I don't think it's a big deal to edit the end of a previous song off of something you want to use as long as you aren't editing the song you're using itself.

I know I speak for Axver when I say it's a pain but if we allowed the editing of songs it would be unfair to the other contestants. :shrug:

phanan said:

Oh don't worry, it's not a big deal. I was just sort of openly pondering. :wink: I don't actually plan on putting the songs on my list.

phanan said:

You wouldn't be editing the song itself, however. You'd just be cleaning up the tracking.

I know but that's sort of the challenge. Honestly, I think a listener will buy a transition even if there is the slightest problem. I totally understand where you are coming from but it's still editing part of the track.

Technically yes, it's editing part of the track, but not the song itself. If everyone had the option, it wouldn't be unfair.

But I understand the rules.

What about silence at the end of tracks? We can edit that out, correct?

phanan said:

What about silence at the end of tracks? We can edit that out, correct?

Actually, no. Though it would really help me out as several of my tracks have long silence at the end of them. There can be no editing of any kind. Even if we let people do it, I'm not sure how many would have the time or even know how to. Sorry if I'm coming off like an ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom