Depeche Mode in Vancouver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
Depeche Mode
November 15, 2005
GM Place

Depeche Mode means “move fast” an action I took to the fullest potential as I danced non-stop like a maniac (sans the alcohol). I gave “Dance Dance Revolution” a run for its money.

After an uninspiring opening act courtesy of the Ravonettes (sp?) I was ready for the synth pop music of Depeche Mode. I sat through the opening act’s performance out of courtesy with the thoughts of a barrel of a gun (DM reference for the hard core fans reading this).

The stage setting was kooky, however, effort is given to the band for trying to add a visual element the show. The set dec was not as great as their previous Vancouver show 4 years ago on the “Exciter” tour.

Dave, Martin, John 5 (ex-Marylin Manson guitarist) and co. hit the stage opening with A Pain That I'm Used To off of “Playing The Angel”. DM quickly made up for their weak opening by playing new tracks off “Angel” as well as retro and rare favorites.

The retro tunes were remixed proving DM can be unpredictable when they want to be. A lot of the retro remixes were off their double disc re-mix collection released last year (mine’s on my Holiday wish list).

The majority of the audience was on their feet either dancing wildly or conservatively swaying. All across the board the audience reception definitely carried the show.

The disappointments of the night were the ugly souvenirs and the lack of material performed off of “Violator” and “Exciter”.

It’s not the 80’s, however, DM rocked the casaba like it was 1984. Their new material proved that DM are still musically relevant.

Intro
A Pain That I'm Used To [Playing the Angel]
John The Revelator [Playing the Angel]
A Question Of Time
Policy Of Truth
Precious [Playing the Angel]
Walking In My Shoes
Suffer Well [Playing the Angel]
Damaged People [Playing the Angel]
Home
I Want It All [Playing the Angel]
The Sinner In Me [Playing the Angel]
I Feel You
Behind The Wheel
World In My Eyes
Personal Jesus
Enjoy The Silence
---------------
Somebody
Just Can't Get Enough
Everything Counts
---------------
Never Let Me Down Again
Goodnight Lovers

One of my co-workers saw them in Seattle this past week and was over the moon about the concert.

Seems that the 2nd half of the show was all about the hits

And yes, they should have played Barrel of a Gun (Excellent video for that song too):up:

Depeche Mode means "fast fashion" ;)

I'm not too into to the new album yet, but have always loved seeing DM in concert. They are amazing. Love love love Martin, and can't believe John5 is touring with them! Nuts! (Side note - I saw Twiggy/Jeordie White at a party a couple weeks back - he is shorter than I would have thought!)

The Raveonettes are one of my favorite bands. Real sweethearts in real life. :heart:

isabelle_guns said:
Dave, Martin, John 5 (ex-Marylin Manson guitarist) and co. hit the stage opening with A Pain That I'm Used To off of “Playing The Angel”.
Huh? I saw them in Salt Lake City about a week ago and there was no such person. Just Dave, Martin, Fletch, Peter Gordeno and Christian Eigner.

HelloAngel said:

The Raveonettes are one of my favorite bands. Real sweethearts in real life. :heart:

smilie_flagge14.gif

Re: Re: Depeche Mode in Vancouver

greenlight7-11 said:

Huh? I saw them in Salt Lake City about a week ago and there was no such person. Just Dave, Martin, Fletch, Peter Gordeno and Christian Eigner.

Exactly, its been the same crew since 1997, I just saw them in San Diego this past Saturday (awesome show BTW) but I'm pretty sure there is no ex-Marylin Manson member involved with DMode. Playing guitar?? WTF?? Only Martin Gore plays guitar.

Re: Re: Depeche Mode in Vancouver

greenlight7-11 said:

I was at the salt lake show too. I don't remember another guitarist.

BTW where were you sitting at the salt lake show

Re: Re: Re: Depeche Mode in Vancouver

mediaman44 said:
BTW where were you sitting at the salt lake show
I was in section 212 on the second row from the rail. I was on the floor for their SLC Exciter tour show so I thought I'd try something different this time, especially since the tix on the uppermost level were so very cheap.

Playing the Angel in SLC

I don't have my ticket with me but I think I was in 124. It was in the second row of the upper level. My main reason was price.

What did you think the highlight of the show was?

I like the energy during Everything Counts, but John the Revelator was awesome too.

I heard they plan on having a concert dvd out later this year.

Re: Playing the Angel in SLC

mediaman44 said:
I don't have my ticket with me but I think I was in 124. It was in the second row of the upper level. My main reason was price.

What did you think the highlight of the show was?

I like the energy during Everything Counts, but John the Revelator was awesome too.

I heard they plan on having a concert dvd out later this year.
I thought it was fun hearing songs like Behind The Wheel, Policy of Truth and World In My Eyes because I missed the Singles tour and this was my first time hearing those songs live in person. I thought it was so dumb that people started leaving after the first encore. I mean if the house lights aren't on, the show isn't over. The same thing kinda happened at the U2's last SLC show, people sitting right next to me left after the first encore and I tried to tell them that the show wasn't over, but they didn't seem to care.

The live DVD is supposed to be out in September, by the way.

Who else are you into?

I am not a premium members so I can send a personal message. I am just curious what other bands are you into? Are you going to any upcoming concerts?

I wish INXS was coming to Salt Lake. I would love to see them.

Re: Who else are you into?

mediaman44 said:
I am not a premium members so I can send a personal message. I am just curious what other bands are you into? Are you going to any upcoming concerts?

I wish INXS was coming to Salt Lake. I would love to see them.
I like R.E.M., Nine Inch Nails, Pearl Jam, The Cure, Morrissey, etc. I'm not going to any upcoming shows.

Depeche Mode equivilent of Interference

Do you know if there is a depeche mode equivilent of interference? I am not as big of a fan of DM as I am of U2 but I wouldn't mind getting other people's opinions on their music.

Back
Top Bottom