David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not even sure what to say at this point. He owes us nothing and we're still getting stuff as amazing as this. I'm blown away.

This album is gonna be fucking baller. Gonna kick the shit out of The Next Day, which I really liked. But it's gonna make that album seem like a generic rock album.

Blackstar is like he walked through David Bowie Is and was like "boooooooooooorrrrrring, let's try something new and fun". Combine it with his reclusivity and it's all just genius. The dark horns are a great touch and the parts where he's singing unassisted are quite beautiful, I had a flashback to Cygnet Committee for some reason. It's nice to hear his vocals in the mix, too, they were too buried on The Next Day.

As for the film clip, well. No words.

And now Heart's Filthy Lesson is playing and I'm reminded that I fucking loved Outside when we did the Survivor and I need to go out and buy it.

I really hope the rest of the album stays in the vein of Black Star the song. Those horns need to make other appearances.

I'm not even sure what to say at this point. He owes us nothing and we're still getting stuff as amazing as this. I'm blown away.

This album is gonna be fucking baller. Gonna kick the shit out of The Next Day, which I really liked. But it's gonna make that album seem like a generic rock album.

Blackstar is like he walked through David Bowie Is and was like "boooooooooooorrrrrring, let's try something new and fun". Combine it with his reclusivity and it's all just genius.
As for the film clip, well. No words.

That's what I'm expecting as well after having listened to the new title-track. It's easy for Bowie to please me because I like most of what he does a lot. But I'm blown away by this song and by the video which is genius too - been watching a lot.

I'd like to see Bowie use a little less of the chanting vocal thing (?) he does for a good portion of that song. I know he doesn't have a ton left in the tank vocally at this age, but his vocal approach on a lot of his newer material hasn't done him any favors.

Station to Station rules. The austerity is a big part of its appeal.

One of the strongest indicators of Bowie's greatness is any of a half dozen albums could be his best.

Blackstar challenged and intrigued me. Not sure I liked it, or that I'll ever listen to it again outside of when I give the album a spin, but I love what Bowie represents.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Wow, Black Star really is something. I'm still not sure how I feel about Bowie. I always think I should love his music but there isn't one album of his that has grabbed me emotionally so far. I always enjoy them on a more cerebral level.

Station to Station is also my favorite of the ones I've heard.

Album out on January 8th.

I happened to see this on Palladia the other evening while switching channels. I was immediately intrigued...the eerie sounds, people writhing and gyrating about, the haunting vocals, and that backdrop...it was like one of my crazy dreams i tend to have....all captured in a video for me to reflect on.

Of course that would be giving too much credit to my dreams, whatever, this was absolutely beautiful i don't even know what to say. Yeah it's strange alright except for that it's Bowie, who is part genius or mad scientist, or perhaps just gifted beyond my comprehension.

I feel almost humbled for having watched this. The clouds passing over my head don't even look the same anymore, the wind blowing through the trees has new urgency for me, even if the key has broke off in the lock, it's not necessary to kick the door in because somehow there is a window into the otherside if you know where to look. Fuck....

Guess I'm a cold motherfucker, because I definitely think that's his best.

Well, I said it's a masterpiece. It's certainly in the conversation, but I've never been able to name a fav Bowie album. Like iYup said there's half a dozen in the conversation. It's just that I personally have never been able to connect with it emotionally, aside from Word on a Wing, which is absolutely beautiful and a hugely, hugely underrated song.

Station to Station rules. The austerity is a big part of its appeal.

One of the strongest indicators of Bowie's greatness is any of a half dozen albums could be his best.

Why do you say austerity there? Like you mean lean, cold musically?

Wow, Black Star really is something. I'm still not sure how I feel about Bowie. I always think I should love his music but there isn't one album of his that has grabbed me emotionally so far. I always enjoy them on a more cerebral level.

What have you heard out of interest?

I feel like his late seventies stuff is what I'm most likely to want to listen to. He may have invented glam rock (almost singlehandedly) but that earlier stuff isn't really my thing. Then there's the eighties, which isn't all bad (I have a guilty love for Let's Dance), and then there's a bit of a gap.

I feel like his late seventies stuff is what I'm most likely to want to listen to. He may have invented glam rock (almost singlehandedly) but that earlier stuff isn't really my thing. Then there's the eighties, which isn't all bad (I have a guilty love for Let's Dance), and then there's a bit of a gap.

I love 'Let's Dance' i was a kid when that came out and it has held up pretty well.

Oh yeah, it's a pretty appealing danceable record all round, not just the lead single. I dunno how it's regarded by Bowie afficiandos though; probably not that well. I like it for what it is.

It has a fucking atrocious cover.

But it's still not his worst.

e3d14217b90410613f8f86ebf90168c652f8ed6c.jpg

Obviously I disagree, but I understand this at least because it's how I feel about Pink Floyd.

Holy fuck I didn't actually expect Bowie to drop a top 5 album in 2016, but it wouldn't surprise me at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom