David Bowie survivor - Young Americans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anyone for tennis?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cobl04

45:33
Joining us in the sexy Bowie survivor playoffs will be Carbon Lattice Canines, Wilson Wilson and Sweet Thing.

Now we move onto Young Americans. Wikipedia describes the album as Peef Soul.

Young_americans.jpg

Two songs from this album will go through so vote for your two favourites.

Space Oddity, Man Who Sold the World, Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Aladdin Sane, (Diamond Dogs), Station to Station, Low, "Heroes", Lodger, The Next Day.

For someone who recently announced to an entire pub that he would turn for David Bowie, that's pretty pathetic.

is diamond dogs in parentheses because you haven't listened to the whole album?

for real. i'll admit though, having heard everything, i still gravitate towards the 70s stuff.

Fame is one of my least favorite of Bowie's singles.

The problem is there's not much else to choose from. The title track is so far beyond anything else on this album it's ridiculous.

Space Oddity, Man Who Sold the World, Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Aladdin Sane, (Diamond Dogs), Station to Station, Low, "Heroes", Lodger, The Next Day.

For someone who recently announced to an entire pub that he would turn for David Bowie, that's pretty pathetic.
You need to hear Scary Monsters, Let's Dance and Heathen.

Outside is pretty good too.

At some point, I'm going to stop voting. I love Bowie, but not enough to sit through his late 80s, early 90s albums.

Also the title track is the only track I even know off of this, but it's probably one of my favourite songs of his ever, so yeah.

Okay I'm halfway through Win and I must buy this album. Young Americans I already knew (had never picked up on the Sgt Peppers reference though!) and immediately in Win I'm struck by the... is it a synth?... noise at the start and in between verses, that sounds like Beck's Debra. Awesome homage from Beck. Debra is my favourite song of his and I love that swirling synth sound.

I would say I'm voting for the title track and Win at this stage. Two great songs.

Fascination is fucking awesome as well! This album is great so far. What the fuck have I been doing with my life, calling myself a Bowie fan.

The first time I ever heard this album was one of the happiest days I ever had at my last job. While this is only my second listen to it now, I'm still just ecstatically happy all over again.

I think this is a great record. Granted, it's very much to my taste.

I love Fame. It stands out on this album in a very positive way. The title track is obviously great, but I've heard it too much and it doesn't need my vote anyway.

I'm going to give Win its first and possibly only vote. Great song, clearly underrated.

Nope, I'm voting for Win too. The second half isn't as good, although Can You Hear Me is nice. Really good album.

I can't believe, that in all years I've been posting here, I've never seen you, to my knowledge, talk about Win when talking about Debra, a song I know you love.

I actually really like Somebody Up There Likes Me and the cover of ATU. Can You Hear Me is super pleasant and then there's Fame...I think I might actually prefer the second half.

Nope, I'm voting for Win too. The second half isn't as good, although Can You Hear Me is nice. Really good album.

I can't believe, that in all years I've been posting here, I've never seen you, to my knowledge, talk about Win when talking about Debra, a song I know you love.

That's because I haven't heard this album in ages. Running through the tracks right now, it only took me a couple of seconds to pick out the similarity.

My only problem with this album is that the backing vocals smother Bowie from time to time. Otherwise, it's a superb genre exercise.

Last edited:
I'm such a sucker for soul backing vocals. So, yeah, Can You Hear Me is a close favorite, but....ugh...I'm gonna go with Fame and Young Americans...

Back
Top Bottom