David Bowie Survivor - The Man Who Sold The World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

This is an ex-parrot!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cobl04

45:33
David Bowie's cover of a song by Commander Hadfield, Space Oddity, is through to the playoffs. Joining it will be Memory of a Free Festival. I have great memories of the festival I just attended, but it sadly was not free.

I would like to take a quick moment to ask Peef why he didn't vote for Space Oddity? Didn't need it or is it genuinely not among your favourite tracks on the album?

Now we move on to The Man Who Sold The World. I have literally never seen this cover before:

MWSTWUS2.jpg

Anyway vote for your three favourites. Three songs progress.

I love half that album and Space Oddity didn't need the vote. It's right there, but knowing it was going to have support made it easier to give my votes elsewhere. If I got four votes I'd have included Space Oddity and Memory of a Free Festival.

Awesome album. Put an electric guitar in Bowie's midst and everything clicks.

Every song is badass, but Width of a Circle and the title track are obviously on another level. Black Country Rock would be my third pick because it's pure joy. He also transforms into a goat for reasons we'll never understand.

I proudly voted for this album over Hunky Dory. Come at me.

Last edited:
Much better album than I remember it being, especially in terms of consistency. I'm going with All the Madmen, Saviour Machine, and the title track.

It is good, some really great guitar playing... was it mostly Ronson or Bowie? There's a couple of early demos of Moonage Daydream and Hang on to Yourself on the bonus version that are interesting. There's also a riff in Black Country Rock that sounds quite a bit like If You Can See Me off the new album.

I'm rolling with Width of a Circle, the title track (hate that rocking chair sound effect in it though) and All the Madmen.

I think The Man Who Sold the World is widely thought to be the album he was least involved in writing. Heavy Ronson influence here.

The only album, as far as I know, where Bowie is playing lead guitar is Diamond Dogs.

Back
Top Bottom