David Bowie survivor - Station to Station

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce here teaches logical positivism and is also in charge of the sheep dip.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cobl04

45:33
There were quite a few young Americans who voted in the last poll, is it a coincidence that Young Americans will join us in the playoffs? Maybe, maybe not. Fame also will join us. Fascination was next best, but no fucking chance, really.

Now we move on to Station to Station, or as I prefer to call it, Red Peppers Cocaine and Milk.

david-bowie-station-to-station.jpg

Four songs from this round will progress to the playoffs, so vote for your FOUR favourites. That means you will be voting for exactly two-thirds of the tracks listed, as there are six songs on this album.

This one's pretty easy for me... Station to Station is one of my favourite songs of all time, I love the instrumentation and soaring verses of Word on a Wing, Stay is an absolute boss of a track - what a riff. Fourth vote goes between Wild is the Wind and Golden Years... I'm giving it to the latter, which might be unpopular, but Golden Years is one of his more enjoyable singles.

Every one of these tracks is finals-worthy. The only two that aren't bordering on 10/10 territory are Word on a Wing and TVC15, so the other four get my votes, I guess.

This was tough, and it's one of my favorite albums ever. I guess this is my ranking:

1. Wild Is the Wind
2. Station to Station
3. Stay
4. Word on a Wing
5. TVC 15
6. Golden Years

But they're all excellent.

Wow, Golden Years last? That's one of my top five for Bowie, period.

I think word on a Wing and Stay won't be getting my vote... Or is it wild is the Wind... I can never remember.

Seriously great album - gets better every time I hear it. I went with the first and last two tracks.

All of the title track is glorious, of course, but from "it's not the side effects of the cocaine" onwards, that's some of the best music ever produced. You all know how much I love dance music, and honestly there hasn't been a great deal released since Station to Station that matches that part. Irresistible.

Thinking ahead, it's going to be very hard for me to pick four from "Heroes".

I love this album about as much as the rest of you, but I do not get the appeal of "Stay". It's probably my least favorite on the album :(

Who plays that sex guitar riff? Carlos Alomar?

Also, the fact that I met Roy Bittan and didn't ask him about recording Station to Station will rightly go down as one of the biggest failures of my entire life.

There are two things about this album that I don't care much for:

1. The chorus of Word on a Wing
2. The verses of TVC15

Everything else is 100% perfect.

It would be awesome if there was a tie and everything but TVC15 goes through.

Last edited:
Can you give me a good argument for why one 40 minute album doesn't deserve to have the same impact on the finals as another 40 minute album, least of all one of the consensus favorites?

You could argue that no album deserves more than such and such of its running time in the finals, but you can't retroactively punish albums for their longer tracks going through. If by some miracle Station to Station were to not go through, the album's contribution to the finals wouldn't be significantly greater than Aladdin Sane's.

If this were a Pink Floyd survivor, would you be against One of these Days, A Pillow of Winds and Fearless going through with Echoes, or would Meddle just get Echoes?

Last edited:
If it were possible for him to answer my post and shut up simultaneously, that would be ideal.

Last edited:
Can you give me a good argument for why one 40 minute album doesn't deserve to have the same impact on the finals as another 40 minute album, least of all one of the consensus favorites?

You could argue that no album deserves more than such and such of its running time in the finals, but you can't retroactively punish albums for their longer tracks going through. If by some miracle Station to Station were to not go through, the album's contribution to the finals wouldn't be significantly greater than Aladdin Sane's.

If this were a Pink Floyd survivor, would you be against One of these Days, A Pillow of Winds and Fearless going through with Echoes, or would Meddle just get Echoes?

Way to strawman at the end there with the one song suggestion.

I just don't think more than half an album's songs should go through. The overall length has nothing to do with it; I'm not claiming it's an EP.

Back
Top Bottom