David Bowie survivor - Outside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Well done, Giuseppe! Or, as the Italians would say, molto bene Giuseppe!

• Leon Takes Us Outside

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Small Plot of Land

• Baby Grace (A Horrid Cassette)

• I've Not Been To Oxford Town

• No Control

• Algeria Touchshriek

• Voyeur of Utter Destruction

• Ramona A Stone/I Am With Name

• Wishful Beginnings

• We Prick You

• Nathan Adler

• I'm Deranged

• Thru These Architects Eyes

• Nathan Adler

• Strangers When We Meet

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cobl04

45:33
To shouter's eternal delight, Sex Church joins us in the playoffs, possibly because I called it 'Sex Church' and not by its actual name.

Now we move onto Bowie's 90s albums, starting with Outside.

cover_40471919112009.jpg

And fuck me this thing is long and convoluted.

Vote for one song, and also tell us all what you think about this album.

Listening as we go. I expect Hallo Spaceboy will take it out, but A Small Plot of Land is a really cool track. Totally paranoid, evocative atmosphere achieved through some unique instrumentation.

I think this is the most pretentious of his albums I've heard. The interludes are horrible. There's some really good tracks here though. Small Plot of Land, The Motel, We Prick You, Strangers When We Meet. I think I'll wait and see what others are voting for.

I mean, the concept thing is messy, but it's still cool that him and Eno tried something different. There really are some great tracks on here.

Excited to revisit this tomorrow before voting. Hallo Spaceboy and the title track are indeed frontrunners. I Have Not Been To Oxford Town and We Prick You are also up there, if memory serves.

Strangers When We Meet is also great, but it gets points taken off for being an outtake from a previous album and having nothing to do with the story. No clue as to why it was tacked on.

I think this is the most pretentious of his albums I've heard. The interludes are horrible. There's some really good tracks here though. Small Plot of Land, The Motel, We Prick You, Strangers When We Meet. I think I'll wait and see what others are voting for.
Well, I think he recognized that. It was supposed to be the first of a series of five concept albums (hence the "1" before Outside) until he scrapped the idea.

But as Laz said, there's some good material on this one.

I'm really liking this album, so I'm going to stop listening to it, because I can't fully wear my headphones at work, and I can tell I'm missing some stuff in the left channel. I'll try and finish it tonight. Hopefully I don't forget. ATM, the title track has my vote.

4-way tie!

Not sure it was necessary to list the segues as options.

Really enjoy revisiting this album, and while it's easy to lump it in with the subsequent techno-heavy Earthling, I love the piano-driven jazzier elements that make it a unique, fascinating hybrid, even alongside the other Bowie-Eno collabs.

I did not get around to listening to this last night. Ever since I moved, my Interference clock has been wonky, am I going to be able to vote in about 6 hours, or will the poll be closed by then? I really don't want to listen to this at work if I can avoid it.

Will Ash take us Outside?

or

Will our hearts learn a Fithy Lesson?

or

Will the next round be saying Hallo Spaceboy?

or

Will we be meeting Lance's Mom at a Motel?

Stay tuned...

This is really hard. A lot of really interesting songs, though I can't say I love any of them. Gonna give it to Hallo Spaceboy so we can hopefully avoid 700 songs going through.

Surprised Outside seems to be a favourite.

Strangers When We Meet is easily the best song here. Oxford Town is my second favorite. Sucks that neither have a chance right now.

Then again, The Motel is great too and has a vote, so I might as well send that through. It's more worthy than any of the other songs with a vote. Am I still allowed to vote?

Yeah you can still vote. If you give it to Strangers When We Meet I'll vote with you, I agree it's the best song, I guess Laz's post put me off voting for it.

The Motel is very good.

Yes, I'll vote Strangers When We Meet then. Let's send that shit through. It's a great song no matter where it's from.

And I'll vote for the title track. A lot of great songs on here but nothing quite touched that one for me.

You guys could have voted for Strangers when it was up for Buddha.

Also, while not a technical "bonus track", this is like voting for The Ground Beneath Her Feet off ATYCLB.

At least Ashley will get another song through to join it.

IT'S A TIE.

Back
Top Bottom