David Bowie survivor - 'Hours...'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Get me a bucket.

• Something in the Air

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If I'm Dreaming My Life

• Seven

• What's Really Happening?

• The Pretty Things Are Going To Hell

• New Angels of Promise

• Brilliant Adventure

• The Dreamers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cobl04

45:33
Little Wonder joins us in the playoffs.

Now we move onto Bowie's last album of the 20th century, 'Hours...'

The cover is fucking atrocious.

1342861220_51k7-lj-wul.jpg

Vote for one song.

I've learnt two things doing this tournament. 1) a lot of his album art is terrible and 2) there are several Bowie albums that are far, far worse than Lodger. I apologise to Laz.

I have only heard one album in this tournament that I really didn't like, he's still Bowie, but, yeah, most of these albums since the early 80s have been inessential. Glad that I was introduced to Black Tie, White Noise, though.

That cover is ruined almost entirely by the font, other than that the lighting/space is actually very nice.

Well I'm voting for Survive. Most of the rest veers dangerously close to adult-contemporary. Survive doesn't start well but I liked the guitar as the track wore on. The last track is pretty decent too. Seems like he was running out of ideas. Brilliant Adventure is the same title as Fantastic Voyage and it's a complete, sub-par retread of Sense of Doubt. I'd say this might be the worst of his albums.

finally we're up to an album i didn't listen to months ago in anticipation of this survivor. :tsk:

i'm finally listening to it. i'm on seven and i'm just so miserable. all these songs suck.

Wait, he made a song that sounds like "Fantastic Voyage"?

EDIT: Travis just reminded me there's a song on Lodger called Fantastic Voyage...carry on.

I think Thursday's Child, which was the single IIRC, is pretty good.

I literally can't remember how the rest of any of them go. Will refresh my memory tomorrow.

It's just so unmemorable.

One telling thing is that EVERY track was co- written with his guitarist Reeves Gabriels, and he usually writes a handful by himself. I wonder if Bowie just felt like letting someone else handle the music this time around, who knows.

I'd prob go with Survivor but I have no interest in contributing to a tie this time around.

It's so bad. I do genuinely like the last half of Survivor, that guitar is really nice, but I don't think there's anything else redeeming about it.

While we're talking about how dreadful this album is, it strikes me that Bowie might be the classic artist with the widest disparity between his best and worst albums. I mean Hours isn't even in the same universe as Low, Ziggy, or even Hunky Dory.

Rolling Stones: Dirty Work at least has some memorable tracks.
The Who: It's Hard has Eminence Front and a few other strong moments.
Dylan: Under the Red Sky is heartfelt in places.
Neil Young: even at his worst, he at least pushes the envelope.

Hours is just totally forgettable and at times mind-numbing.

While we're talking about how dreadful this album is, it strikes me that Bowie might be the classic artist with the widest disparity between his best and worst albums. I mean Hours isn't even in the same universe as Low, Ziggy, or even Hunky Dory.

I was thinking about this myself yesterday, but I haven't heard enough of any of the "classic" artists.

Makes me wonder, too, why no one's every really talked about how bad this album is. In all the Bowie discussions we've had in the past I'm not sure I've ever seen it mentioned. It's always been Tonight or Never Let Me Down that have bore the brunt of the criticism.

Dirty Work "isn't even in the same universe" as the Stones' best albums, either. And they have probably like 4-5 disposable albums, like everything from the mid-80s onward.

Dylan's Knocked Out Loaded, with the exception of Brownsville Girl, is just shit. As is Down In The Groove.

I think Thursday's Child, which was the single IIRC, is pretty good.

I literally can't remember how the rest of any of them go. Will refresh my memory tomorrow.

Thursday's Child is really good, great video as well, but yeah, although I own a copy of Hours I don't really remember much else about it.

Back
Top Bottom