David Bowie survivor - FINAL FIVE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for your least favo(U)rite

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Extraordinarily easy vote for me here. Young Americans has long outstayed its welcome. I'm truly gutted Five Years has left, I wonder why people like it the least of these tracks? The passion displayed over the final minute or so is spellbinding, and it introduces the concept - one which I still find relatable despite it being about an alien - brilliantly.

Young Americans until it's gone.

Great lyrics and hook with immaculate production, but it doesn't move me like the rest of these tracks. Moonage Daydream's incendiary outro solo alone puts it over the top. One of the greatest rock choruses ever too.

Last edited:
Young Americans until it's gone.

Great lyrics and hook with immaculate production, but it doesn't move me like the rest of these tracks. Moonage Daydream's incendiary outro solo alone puts it over the top. One of the greatest rock choruses ever too.

My thoughts exactly. Young Americans doesn't move me much at all.

Ain't there one damn song that can make me... break down and crrryyy?

Life on Mars for me. It's a brilliant track, but up against the rest of these songs, it seems a bit forced and overblown, especially in the chorus. The sentiment as well lacks the subtlety he would develop on later albums.

I hope Young Americans can rally - others have sung its praises already, but the tension between that buoyant instrumentation and the world-weary lyrics is just one of many elements that make it a masterpiece.

Life on Mars is a song about media saturation, at least in part, and its chorus is too overblown? Nah. It's appropriately cinematic, pitched exactly where it should be. Plus, that high note is one of the finest moments of his career.

But yeah, I get that it's tough to rank the songs at this point. Something has to go.

We should all gang up on Heroes to prove Elfa wrong.

We can be HEROES, just for one day.

"Heroes", only because that awful edit is the main one that people know. Cutting out verses completely changes the meaning of the song, and the build isn't nearly as powerful. It's a crime that it's the version that ends up on the compilations. The full length version is flawless.

These last five are tough. I imagine Station to Station will win. It's got my vote.

You're penalizing the "flawless" original because an edit was released? Odd. I've never heard anything but the album version.

And I feel like most people who are participating in this poll have the Heroes album.

Yeah that's a very weird way to vote.

Well, it's the only one of those songs that exists in two forms, so I considered both. Sure, Moonage Daydream was released before Ziggy, but it wasn't Bowie, it was Arnold Corns :sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom