David Bowie survivor - Aladdin Sane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

His father was a cabinet minister and his mother won the Derby!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cobl04

45:33
I have no idea who this 'JTbaby' poster is (show yourself, scoundrel), but he/she/it voted six times in the Ziggy Stardust round, when my original posted clearly stated that four songs were to be voted for. Moonage Daydream, Ziggy Stardust, Starman and Suffragette City are definitely going through to the playoffs, and maybe I'll just arbitrarily subtract two of 'JTbaby's votes, one from Suffragette City, and one from Moonage Daydream, which would at least allow Five Years, which introduces the whole damn concept of Ziggy Stardust, through to the playoffs as well.

Did you guys know that famed Australian music journalist Molly Meldrum named has had four malteste shihtzu cross, and he has named each of them Ziggy, after Ziggy Stardust? Well, now you do. One time, Ziggy 4 went crazy at Dicky Knee.

109490-molly-meldrum.jpg

Anyway now we move on to Aladdin Sane, which is on some days my favourite David Bowie album.

1422376_10151967267076843_1601482711_n.jpg

Whoops! That's not the right cover...

dbas.jpg

VOTE FOR YOUR FOUR FAVOURITE SONGS FROM THIS ALBUM. FOUR GO THROUGH TO THE PLAYOFFS.

My favorites from this album aren't really that popular, nor is my opinion on the album (his second best; better than Ziggy), but the heart wants what it wants.

Aladdin Sane
Panic In Detroit
Time
Lady Grinning Soul

Last edited:
This is really, really hard for me. I genuinely think the first six tracks are perfect, as is Lady Grinning Soul.

I have to give one vote for Watch That Man. It's a rocker but it's always resonated with me emotionally. Always takes me back to a very, very specific time in my life. The chorus and the outro are just to die for.

Time gets a vote. I remember one time LMP listed some of his favourite break-up songs, and Time was one of them, and I was all like "how is Time a break-up song?" and LMP posted the lyric "breaking is hard / but keeping dark is hateful" and I looked like an idiot. A tremendous track.

That leaves the title track, Drive-In Saturday (which I'm not sure has many fans, but I love it), Panic in Detroit, Cracked Actor (two awesome badass rockers) and Lady Grinning Soul... gonna give it to Aladdin Sane and Lady Grinning Soul, both of them are just great examples of Bowie's incredible scope.

I'll be pretty disappointed if Jean Genie gets through, I've got to say, in light of the other material here.

Really tough choice here, as this is my favorite Bowie album. He certainly has more impressive conceptual works, but no other album of his reaches the heights of this one on a song-for-song basis. Lady Grinning Soul is my #1 Bowie track and so an easy choice, and I adore that cover of Let's Spend the Night Together. I will have to think about the other two.

Ziggy 4 went nuts at Dicky Knee? You don't say.

At this point, we might as well leave off one classic track per album to keep it consistent.

I have a harder time picking a favorite off this album. It's possibly his most consistent release. I don't know if any of these songs would make my Bowie Top 40, but they're all a solid 8/10.

A battery-operated nosehair/earhair clipper can easily be acquired from your local all-purpose store such as Target or Walmart. Or even Amazon.

They usually run around $15.

The results so far are awesome.

But so were Ziggy's until everything went horribly, horribly wrong.

It's just the same two chord stomp over and over with some admittedly bizarre lyrics. Compared to the jaw dropping creativity of Aladdin Sane, Time and Lady Grinning Soul it's kind of blah. It's like comparing Desire to Zooropa and Lemon.

Plus, it's getting bumped off by Panic in Detroit, which has an absolutely massive riff.

Last edited:
The entire song is spectacular though.

"Atonality is the enemy of music" could make for a good spiritual sequel to the B&C classic.

The title track, Panic In Detroit, The Prettiest Star(because I like it and it hasn't received any votes), Lady Grinning Soul.

"The Jean Genie" is a fantastic stomper of a track. If there's a bridge from the blues-meets-glam Ziggy to the more atonal genre-sliding Aladdin Sane, it's that. I love it. Shame it doesn't fall in my Top 4.

"Drive-In Saturday" crushes it though. Not surprised that it's so low here.

Time gets a vote. I remember one time LMP listed some of his favourite break-up songs, and Time was one of them, and I was all like "how is Time a break-up song?" and LMP posted the lyric "breaking is hard / but keeping dark is hateful" and I looked like an idiot. A tremendous track.

The rest of that verse is such a reflexive look at a failed relationship and full of condemnation of time wasted. It's an honest and heartbreaking way to end a song that starts off as a jaunty cabaret.

Back
Top Bottom