Dave Matthews Solo Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
joyfulgirl said:

It's a group effort, hello.
The money is split equally, hello.

That's fine if its true.
Couldn't the band have a name like Springsteen and the E Street Band? Dave Matthews and the (band name). Why all Dave Matthews only? Why is that so important? :eyebrow:

The story goes that it just happened...they took to the stage before they really had a name, so DMB was a temporary name until they could come up with something else, but it stuck. Kind of like how my cat became Miss Kitty while I was trying to think of a name for her. Dave jokes about it all the time--he is the opposite of an egomaniac and never intended to be singled out from the band. The band all make the same money on tour that Dave makes--I doubt that's the case with the E Street Band.

joyfulgirl said:
The story goes that it just happened...they took to the stage before they really had a name, so DMB was a temporary name until they could come up with something else, but it stuck. Kind of like how my cat became Miss Kitty while I was trying to think of a name for her. Dave jokes about it all the time--he is the opposite of an egomaniac and never intended to be singled out from the band. The band all make the same money on tour that Dave makes--I doubt that's the case with the E Street Band.

Thanks for the clarification.
But I still find it a bit silly that either way solo or band his name is always there :lol:

one story as to why they came up with the name is because after they cut their demo tape, they were getting ready to go out and do some early shows; however, they still had no name. So they just called themselves the Dave Matthews Band by default.
They know its not the most creative name.

I am all for people liking and not liking who and what they want. That of course makes the world go round. Its one thing to say you do not like DBM or their type of music, which is fine.

To say you are a fan of music and then to say these guys suck though is ignorant in my opinion. They are talented as hell. They are about as far from sucking as a band can get.

Dave is an amazing guitarist and lyricist - there are not many people out there today who could rival him.

Maybe I didn't feel like explaining all I know about DMB.
I've known about them since they started back in 94'. I gave them a try because of all the hype they get. And their music just didn't appeal it just annoyed me more than anything.
The only song I can bare is Too Much it has an ok chorus.
So yea.

they did not start in 94. they got big in the winter of 95 but started in the early 90's.

i am not saying you should and have to like them just that to say they suck is crazy.

If I was to put together a CD to try and get people to realize how good they are I would have to make it this:

DMB:
Seek Up
Warehouse
Two Step
Lie In Our Graves
Crush
Dreaming Tree
Say Goodbye
Pig

Dave Solo:
Dodo
Oh (a little sweet but a great single)
Grave Digger(accoustic)
Stay or Leave
Blue Grey Eyes

Pretty much the whole Dave and Tim Live at Luther College but then we would have to add two more CD's

I heard Gravedigger yesterday acouple times...it's pretty bad

If you want to introduce DMB to somebody, just take them to a DMB show. That's what my friend did to me, and it changed my opinion completely. And I've taken friends to his shows since then, so I have passed something along. His live shows are incredible.......not as good as U2, but damn close.

One thing I found out about their shows is that you really need floor seats to get the full experience in a large venue. Its actualy not that gtreat of a concert when your not up close. I've seen Dave so many times now that I've gotten a little tired of the shows but I still love them.

I have seen them 5 times. 1st time in a tiny club before they were big, last time, 2 weeks ago in Central park with 100,000 people (I had very close seats). They are simply amazing live. Imo this is the way to experience this band. As such I have an offer for those of you who are fans and those who are not, but may want to give them a listen or more of a try.

I just got a copy of the central park show today that I went to. I got hooked up nice for the event so I would like to offer up B+P for this show. Its a very good recording. The show is going to be released by the band in November on CD and DVD, but if anyone wants a copy of the audience recording now, let me know. This was a great concert.

The setlist can be found here:
http://www.nancies.org/tour/reviews/20030924/

Here is my thread on the show:
http://forum.interference.com/t81803.html

Also it looks like there may be a winter tour of "Dave and friends". Additionally, Dave and Tim are releasing a new studio album they did together and Tim says its going to awesome.

Tim has a pretty good solo show also. He came here to Ann Arbor, MI and played at the Blind Pig. A small club where bands like DMB, Nirvana, Hootie and the Bloww Fish, GNR played before they made it. Tim can do a lot of shit wth an accoustic guitar.

DiGi said:

Also it looks like there may be a winter tour of "Dave and friends". Additionally, Dave and Tim are releasing a new studio album they did together and Tim says its going to awesome.

from my IN BOX this morning:

Greetings from Dave Matthews Band,

We are pleased to announce An Acoustic and Electric Evening with Dave
Matthews and Friends: Trey Anastasio, Brady Blade, Tony Hall, Ray
Paczkowski and Tim Reynolds. The evening will also feature special
guest Emmylou Harris and Spyboy. Tour dates for 2003 and 2004 are as
follows:

Fri, December 12 / Bryce Jordan Center / University Park, PA
Sat, December 13 / Dunkin' Donuts Center / Providence, RI
Mon, December 15 / Wachovia Center / Philadelphia, PA
Tue, December 16 / Fleet Center / Boston, MA
Wed, December 17 / Madison Square Garden / New York, NY
Fri, December 19 / Hartford Civic Center / Hartford, CT
Sat, December 20 / Blue Cross Arena / Rochester, NY
Mon, December 22 / Allstate Arena / Rosemont, IL
Mon, January 12 / Key Arena / Seattle, WA
Wed, January 14 / Cox Arena / San Diego, CA
Thu, January 15 / Staples Center / Los Angeles, CA
Fri, January 16 / Oakland Arena / Oakland, CA

DiGi said:
Additionally, Dave and Tim are releasing a new studio album they did together and Tim says its going to awesome.

:hyper:

I love Dave and Tim!!!! I actualy like listening to just them the best. Thay are so good together its sick. Nothing against the DMB

gherman said:
I love Dave and Tim!!!! I actualy like listening to just them the best. Thay are so good together its sick. Nothing against the DMB

Same here. I love the band but I'm not that crazy about their forays into fusion-jazz. (Besides the weird hatred some people have for Dave's voice, I honestly think it's the fusion-jazz thing that turns people off.) But Dave & Tim together are just incredible. Hearing them together opened me up to DMB. Tim's a local guy where I live and he plays here all the time but I've never seen him. So I'm bummed they're not coming here. :(

DiGi said:

Martha - did you get some devil yet?

I didn't but it's at the top of my list. I just spent a ridiculous amount of money on a friend's wedding so I have to hold off for a bit. I can't wait for the Central Park DVD!

Ok, just got the limited edition yesterday...

This is some gorgeous music. Period. I think it's some of Dave's best music, a completely different sound than DMB. A couple of these songs...omg...just give me chills. I have to say, I am very surprised by this record. As usual, the single--Gravedigger-- is the worst (or rather, my least favorite) song on the record.

I really like Stay or Leave. That's my favorite on the regular CD. And the acoustic Gravedigger is chilling, especially when you listen while driving at night.

The epic-length Jimi Thing on the bonus disk is FANTASTIC. I heard Warehouse members got a 9-song bonus disk; I might have to see if the DMB "PLEBAn" I know would be willing to share.

I like the acoustic version of Gravedigger, too--just not the single version so much. So far I'm really lovin' the title song, Grey Blue Eyes and An' Another Thing but I haven't absorbed it all yet. Lots of late-night-driving-chilling stuff here!

Dodo and Stay or Leave are the best songs on the album in my opinion.

If it wasn't for the lyric: "I love you oh so well, like a kid loves' candy and fresh snow" I would have Oh in my top 2.

Nobody else likes An' Another Thing? I think it's absolutely stunning.

An' Another Thing is good but I've heard Dave play so many different versions of it for the past 6 years I'm kind of sick of it. But Dave is notorious for doing that. He writes songs, plays them live for years, changes it a little until he likes it, then puts it on an album. Two Step used to suck when then band just started. It was a happy folkish song now its an anthem.

Back
Top Bottom