damien rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
quack quack

:hug:
duckie.gif
:hug:

QUACK!!!!!!!!!!!!:sexywink:

From the Times online...
August 17, 2003

Irish unknown beats Keating to US success
Jan Battles and Paul Sexton

HE MAY not want to be famous but stardom is beckoning Damien Rice. Without even trying the 28-year-old college drop-out has broken into the Billboard charts in America with his debut solo album.
O, recorded in Rice?s bedroom, entered the Billboard Top 200 last week, after a week of musical achievement that Ronan Keating can only dream of.

Earlier last week, the singer from Celbridge, Co Kildare, was nominated for the Shortlist Music Prize, the American equivalent of a Mercury Music Prize, alongside more celebrated artists such as Blur, Radiohead and Ms Dynamite.

Rice wrote the album when he returned to Ireland after a stint in Europe in 1999. He grew vegetables on a farm in Tuscany and busked around the Continent.

Unlike his pop star rivals for the prize, Rice made the shortlist and the charts with little publicity and without a marketing campaign. Instead, 40,000 copies of his album have sold by word of mouth since its American release a little more than two months ago. Although the album entered the album charts at 200, record sales have been increasing substantially each week as word spreads. It is currently at 12 on Billboard?s Top Heatseekers chart, which lists the best-selling titles by new and developing artists.

Bernadette Barrett, Rice?s manager, said: ?We haven?t spent a penny marketing this record or doing any advertising. There?s no big push. People just like his album because it is real and natural and there?s nothing forced about it. The general force behind it has been word of mouth. It?s been an organic growth.?

Rice recently told an interviewer that he didn?t want to be famous, he just wanted to be nobody. However, the rising star could teach other artists a thing or two about making it in America. Despite an expensive marketing exercise, an image makeover and a pricey video, Keating beat a hasty retreat from the US in 2001 after failing to win over audiences. Similarly, Westlife abandoned their attempt to conquer the market.

?He?s different and that?s why he?s going to be successful, because people are always looking for something different,? said Nic Harcourt, music director and host of Morning Becomes Eclectic at KCRW radio in Los Angeles. ?This record has an enormous amount of potential to break through in a significant way.?

Harcourt has been instrumental in building Rice?s fan base, being the first to play his album on American radio. The presenter has been playing Rice?s songs for the past year after he was sent the album by his management.

KCRW has a history of discovering new musical acts, having been the first station in the world to play Dido and Norah Jones, who went on to win eight Grammys, and the first American station to air Coldplay.

Such was the following he had built up that Rice sold out three shows in a row in Los Angeles earlier this year before the record even came out.

One of those was the infamous show at The Troubadour where Britney Spears met up with Colin Farrell. Appearances on the David Letterman and Conan O?Brien shows followed. Rice returns to America for more gigs on September 10.

Billboard, the music industry bible, has been among those applauding Rice, calling him ?a star of the future?. Rolling Stone magazine commended O for its ?absorbing melodies and emotional wallop?.

O has gone double platinum in Ireland ? selling more than 30,000 copies ? and is currently at No 8 in Norway?s charts. Already on release in Sweden, Belgium and Holland, it is due to be launched in Germany next week, and in Denmark, France, Italy and Spain next month.

Harcourt nominated Rice for the Shortlist Music Prize: ?It?s the best record I?ve heard in the last year and a half.?

I might be able to catch him next month, at the Theater of Living Arts in Philadelphia. :) He's worth seeing, I take it.

What an amazingly sad and beautiful album, I'll say again. Really, do yourself a favor and run right out and buy it.

While I'm posting pictures...this one is not that great, but...
Damien at T in the Park

Attachments

• t in the park damien rice resized.jpg
    t in the park damien rice resized.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 50
My goodness! Somebody knows of Damien here! After struggling for a while to get his CD and seeing all these blank faces at record stores this is really refreshing. The David Letterman show was one of the best live performances I've seen on a talk show. Still kicking myself for not taping it. :slant:

Blower's Daughter and Cold Water are such goregous songs but really the whole album is a treasure. :heart: :happy:

violetfly said:
My goodness! Somebody knows of Damien here! After struggling for a while to get his CD and seeing all these blank faces at record stores this is really refreshing. The David Letterman show was one of the best live performances I've seen on a talk show. Still kicking myself for not taping it. :slant:

Blower's Daughter and Cold Water are such goregous songs but really the whole album is a treasure. :heart: :happy:

http://www.freecfm.com/d/damien/default.asp has the performance in Real streaming format. But Real is evil....

only way I got to see it though.

fyi:

[q]
live on America's

Carson Daly Show
monday 15th september

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Damien has been nominated as one of 10 finalists for the 2003 American

Shortlist Music Prize

The Shortlist, the American equivalent of the British Mercury Music Prize,
will be awarded this fall to an artist whose artistic merit outweighs their commercial popularity

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Damien will play at America's KCRW radio 'A SOUNDS ECLECTIC EVENING'
on Saturday, November 22, 2003
At The Universal Amphitheatre http://www.kcrw.org/see3/
More information about the concert and ticket prices can be found at http://www.kcrw.org/see3/ or by calling 310-450-5183.[/q]

Back
Top Bottom