Dale Earnhardt cult status

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
It looks like late NASCAR great Dale Earnhardt is gaining cult, almost religious, status in some places, much the way Elvis did. There are the commemorative magazines and books of course, as there are with everyone famous who dies. But it gets kind of weird when there are blankets, velvet portraits with lights, and shrines put up in homes. I have seen this. It gives me the cold chills. I am not a NASCAR fan, but I know many and am related to several.

The other night there was a concert in his honor, with his family present, and footage of his races being shown on a huge screen behind the stage. I think it's creepy showing his car so much in these things, since he died in it. Another weird thing is, he wasn't all that well liked in his lifetime. He was kind of mean sometimes, and was known as The Intimidator, who would break rules of common decency, even against teammates, to win. He was known to wreck people. He was one of those people where there was no middle ground, he was either loved or hated. Now, he is loved! Ironically, when he died, he was in the last lap of a race, and uncharacteristically generous and unselfish. He was throwing a block for his son to take first place. He died a hero.

But I find all of this kind of disturbing. Of course it's none of my business if people want to worship him. I was just wondering what others here who don't live in NASCAR country feel about this.

So, anyway, now that I'm logged in correctly....

I agree that it's a little weird (but I don't get the Elvis thing either), but it doesn't really bother me either way. If people wanted to build a huge glow in the dark monument to him, I couldn't care less. :shrug:

Last edited:
deep said:
if you are going to worship

why not go with a winner
:sexywink:

He did win the Winston Cup (NASCAR Championship) 7 times, just not recently. I also saw a barbeque last weekend. They had painted a big 3 on the smoke chest and a 3 flag on top of it. Now every Number 3 around here is assumed to be Dale. My cousin named her kid Daylen after her brother and people keep going, oh how nice you named her after #3! The VA city Dale City is assumed by some youngsters to be named after him. It goes on.

I think it's very...odd. Yes, I'm being restrained. :sexywink:

When you think about all the other great athletes in history, none of them have ever had a following like that. No one lights a shrine to Lou Gerhig, you know?

The wackiest story I heard was a goat that was born with a "3" on it's side. Earnhardt fans were making pilgrimages to see it and crying. It's a goat--it's not remotely connected with NASCAR!

AvsGirl41 said:
I think it's very...odd. Yes, I'm being restrained. :sexywink:

When you think about all the other great athletes in history, none of them have ever had a following like that. No one lights a shrine to Lou Gerhig, you know?

Good point, exactly! There have been much bigger sports stars who were not saluted and enshrined, so this is weird.

The wackiest story I heard was a goat that was born with a "3" on it's side. Earnhardt fans were making pilgrimages to see it and crying. It's a goat--it's not remotely connected with NASCAR!

Ooh I forgot about that one! That's the worst! :shocked: :laugh: :crack:

I know a guy who has a son who was born a couple months after Earnhardt died. This guy was always a #3 fan and now roots for Dale Jr. The baby wore Earnhardt stuff since the day he was born, and even had a carseat with the insignia on it! Shivers! The first time the boy grabbed for the car steering wheel, both the guy and his wife shrieked with glee that the spirit of Dale E. had been reincarnated in their son! :yikes: :crazy: :silent: (They are country music fans and don't have a computer, or I'd never post that if they could find it!) :no:

Last edited:
Now i just read that he is the - appropriately numbered ;) #3 money making dead celebrity. He's behind Elvis and Charles Shultz of Peanuts fame and tied with John Lennon! Earnhardt earns $20 million a year! :shocked:

Back
Top Bottom