Cynics view.....how many bands used live8?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjhbonovox

Refugee
No matter what you say 90% of the acts/bands at Live 8 used the event for their own ends to get in the public eye, relauch their careers, sell more records. Which do you think were the main ones to do this. The main ones for me that definetly did this were Mariah Carey, Madonna, Robbie Williams, UB40.

U2 were their for the right reason and thats obvious, but I would be interested on other views on this.

I don't see a need to be skeptical about some bands' motives for performing. I believe they were all there for the same reason: Africa.

The performances I saw seemed completely genuine. I believe they were all there for the right reasons.

inmyplace13 said:
I don't see a need to be skeptical about some bands' motives for performing. I believe they were all there for the same reason: Africa.

The performances I saw seemed completely genuine. I believe they were all there for the right reasons.

Wow you honestly believe that? You have more faith in the human spirit than a lot of others. If thats the case then why would someone like Mariah Carey perform her brand new single?

rjhbonovox said:

Wow you honestly believe that? You have more faith in the human spirit than a lot of others. If thats the case then why would someone like Mariah Carey perform her brand new single?

For the most part, all day long, the majority of songs played were singles. I changed my feed during Mariah's performance, but I don't think she did it just to boost record sales.

Yes, I honestly don't think anyone would have sullied such a beautiful event by only being in it for personal gain.

I have to agree, they all seemed genuine to me. I'm not a big Mariah Carey fan, but at the end she looked like she wanted to give each and every one of those little kids on stage a hug and bring them back to her place for dinner or something.

I dunno, I just don't see the point in getting cynical right now :shrug:. Crazy as it seems, I do still hold a lot of faith in humanity. I think it'd be a very sad world if people lost all hope that humans could do good things.

Angela

Robbie did do work 4 unicef and madonna gave profits of her books 2 child poverty in the uk didn't she? so they obviously have an interest in development

I think they can do both. Also for most artists the newest single is what most people want to hear, so why wouldn't they play that?

I don't see that it really matters what the motivation was if the outcome is essentially positive.

And none of them are bothered about the impact that appearing at the concert is going to have on their record sales and their careers? Just look at what happened to Queen after Live Aid, they were a finished band before Live Aid but after their appearance in 1985 they were massive again in the USA. I see a programme about the original Live Aid and they were on about Queen and I just remember a lot of people saying after seeing them "wow I have got to get some Queen records".

Madonna actually claimed she wasn't going to do any performing but since she believed in the cause than she signed on.

The one thing I found very odd was that MTV kept showing commercials for Pink Floyd's greatest hits(that's been out for a few years) during the airing of Live 8...:hmm:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

The one thing I found very odd was that MTV kept showing commercials for Pink Floyd's greatest hits(that's been out for a few years) during the airing of Live 8...:hmm:

Yes, but I think we can forgive them for this one. I mean, Pink Floyd still DID REUNITE. That's worth it no matter WHAT their true motives are. ;)

rjhbonovox said:
And none of them are bothered about the impact that appearing at the concert is going to have on their record sales and their careers?

Why would they be. It's a win-win situation. No one's going to NOT support the cause because it might make them a bit more popular.

Bono: "Fuck this. If we do this we're going to sell more records. I'll just sit on my arse and wait to play Vienna tonight"

I guess I just don't understand what you meant by that comment. Bothered? :scratch:

inmyplace13 said:

Why would they be. It's a win-win situation. No one's going to NOT support the cause because it might make them a bit more popular.

...unless you happen to be Thom Yorke.

Errr, I mean...uhh....

I love you Thom! Hehe. :|

unosdostres14 said:

:).

Originally posted by rjhbonovox
And none of them are bothered about the impact that appearing at the concert is going to have on their record sales and their careers?

I gotta agree with others...I'm not quite seeing why exactly that would bother anybody at the show.

Just look at what happened to Queen after Live Aid, they were a finished band before Live Aid but after their appearance in 1985 they were massive again in the USA.

...so? Again, what's the problem with that?

I see a programme about the original Live Aid and they were on about Queen and I just remember a lot of people saying after seeing them "wow I have got to get some Queen records".

Yeah...and I've also heard from people that saw the original one that Queen put on one hell of a show and that the entire day was great. What's the downside here? People came out for a good cause that, if the reports I've read so far are true, could really do some good things soon here, and if people happen to enjoy the music as well, hey, an added bonus.

You're entitled to your opinions and all that, but personally, I just think it'd just be nice if a charity event could go on for once without people questioning the motives of people involved. They're doing a good deed for people, why isn't that enough?

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

Yeah...and I've also heard from people that saw the original one that Queen put on one hell of a show and that the entire day was great. What's the downside here? People came out for a good cause that, if the reports I've read so far are true, could really do some good things soon here, and if people happen to enjoy the music as well, hey, an added bonus.

You're entitled to your opinions and all that, but personally, I just think it'd just be nice if a charity event could go on for once without people questioning the motives of people involved. They're doing a good deed for people, why isn't that enough?

Angela

Angela, I agree with everything you've said here!

I think it's great that these artists cared enough to put their voices behind this cause... and that was the point of the entire thing... to add your VOICE.

Most of the artists I managed to catch (which was most of the London set throughout the day) made sure to remind the crowd of exactly why they were there.

So, yeah, it's easy to put a negative twist on the event... but I believe it was incredibly positive and did exactly what it set out to achieve... to raise awareness.

I agree with most of the responses here and I actually surprised myself by enjoying performances that I would not have otherwise enjoyed, mainly because I think the spirit of the event really came through in most of the performances I saw. I mean, really, when did we ever see Madonna so genuine? I was personally blown away by her performance because it was actually authentic, imo, and she was able to really let loose. There was a lot of joy there, I thought. Same with Mariah Carey, someone I don't care for (although I liked her more after her public psychotic episodes for some reason, lol).

And even if anyone thought, "Yeah, I really want to be a part of this, this is important....and maybe I'll sell some records, too" I don't see anything wrong with that. It's just human, really.

It's possible that some originally may have been selfishly motivated but I bet they were changed by the experience.

Last edited:
I agree joyfulgirl maybe some artists did go into this with the wrong intentions but I'm certain that those who did walked away with a different perspective on what they they thought Live 8 was doing for them.

If Geldof, Bono and the hundred plus bands did not donate their time and talent, the average Western world citizen still would have no awareness of the emergency the world faces in sub-saharan Africa and other parts of the world. Of course, not everyone knows what is happening and not everyone will follow up but it is a start and it is better than apathy.

trevster2k said:
I agree joyfulgirl maybe some artists did go into this with the wrong intentions but I'm certain that those who did walked away with a different perspective on what they they thought Live 8 was doing for them.

I was editing my post to say just that the minute you were posting. :ohmy:

Some of my points have been a bit vague. My original question or point was that which artists would be just doing it for a career boost. And from most of your answers you seem to suggest that none would have any thoughts such as that. I have to disagree and I think that many artists that appeared would have been thinking about getting back in the public eye, I mean UB40, have they sold any records the past 10 years, I also hear they were complaining about only having 15 minutes on stage, and when I see Madonna interviewed all she seemed to go on about was the fact that she was doing another tour video/movie or something. Talk about self promoting.

It always takes me back to when Princess Diana died and Elton John released Candle In The Wind. For the few years building up to this Elton John had very limited success in the charts and his career was on a downward slide, he releases this song with a new song of his own, Something about the way you look tonight, as a double A-side. If he wasn't thinking about his own career then why would he have put a brand new song as a double A-side? I always remember Noel Gallagher also pointing this out at the time saying he was taking advantage of the situation. I know this is a bit off base but if a lot of people here think that all the artists do this solely for the cause then I am pretty surprised.

rjhbonovox said:
Some of my points have been a bit vague. My original question or point was that which artists would be just doing it for a career boost.

I personally don't feel I can make that call. I have no idea what anyone's motives were and don't feel like speculating about it, frankly.

I don't think Pink Floyd would really be in it for a career boost. The fact that MTV were even DARING to go to commercial breaks during their set is enough to drag me from thinking whether the Floyd would suddenly think "Hang on...we've got the 'Wish You Were Here' and 'Animals' SACD's coming out in a couple of months...fancy going on tour?"

If they did tour again, then I'd be a bit curious as to WHY? But the re-releases were on the cards anyway, and I'm a bit 'worried' people are instantly going to assume "Oh, they're doing it off the back of Live8..." :huh:

Angela, I agree with everything you've said here!

I think it's great that these artists cared enough to put their voices behind this cause... and that was the point of the entire thing... to add your VOICE.

Most of the artists I managed to catch (which was most of the London set throughout the day) made sure to remind the crowd of exactly why they were there.

So, yeah, it's easy to put a negative twist on the event... but I believe it was incredibly positive and did exactly what it set out to achieve... to raise awareness.

Exactly. And thanks :hug:.

Angela

I must say I will agree SOME of the artists who performed may have been there cos it was a good career move. Don't matter really, because they weren't there performing their own concert, but were performing for Live8.

(FWIW, while it may not be very visible now, UB40 have always been since their beginning, a political band).

I think the artists do care about whats fair and right, but none of them has the ability to make a diference the way Bono does
But this show obviously help their careers thats true.....so they would not miss the oportunity
But what makes me laugh is to see all these artists who know talk about Africa like they all are masters of the subjet.........agg
What have been they doing all this years?
Sting, what did you do for Africa since 85' ?

I think they should have thanked Bono for all of this! Every single one of them
Bob for organizing, but Bono for the vision, the tenacity and the idea to make all of this happen!

For those who are interested:

Acts see album sales soar after Live 8 gigs

LONDON (Reuters) - They came out of charity. They left with booming record sales.

The galaxy of rock stars who took part in Live 8 concerts on Saturday to help beat the curse of poverty have seen their records fly off the shelves in British music stores, proving that cash balances as well as consciences were the winner.

According to HMV, one of the country's main record retailers with 200 stores nationwide, Pink Floyd's "Echoes" album posted a staggering 1,343 percent increase in sales on Sunday compared with the same day a week ago.

The band re-formed for the Live 8 concert in London's Hyde Park, where they joined pop legends Paul McCartney, Madonna, U2 and Elton John among others in front of 200,000 people
"Even allowing for the relative nature of this exercise ... this snapshot still shows that the Live 8 concert is having a marked effect on sales of featured artist recordings," said Gennaro Castaldo spokesman for the HMV chain.

He stressed that the increase for Pink Floyd and other acts appearing in Hyde Park was partly due to the small number of records sold on Sunday, June 26. Total sales of the album on Sunday, July 3, the day after Live 8, were approaching 1,000.

Next came The Who's "Then & Now", with an increase of 863 percent, Annie Lennox's "Eurythmics Greatest Hits" (500 percent) and Dido's "Life For Rent" (412 percent).

Ironically, Coldplay's "X&Y", which has stormed the charts in Britain and the United States, registered one of the smallest increases out of the London Live 8 acts at just three percent.

But according to HMV, the band still sold the highest number of copies at more than 2,800.

The only Live 8 performer to have clocked a drop in sales was Pete Doherty. His former group the Libertines saw sales of their "Up the Bracket" album drop by 35 percent.

Doherty's performance was singled out by the media as one of the worst of the nine-hour Hyde Park music marathon.

The Mirror tabloid called his duet with Elton John "shambolic".

Reporters at the gig said he struggled with the words of the classic song "Children of the Revolution" and looked unsteady on his feet.

Virgin Megastores, another major music outlet, could not immediately be reached for comment on post-Live 8 sales

Saint Paul once said something to the effect of, "I care not whether Jesus is preached for money; all I care is that he is preached." Since the road to Hell is paved with good intentions, it stands to reason that not all intentions for this event were completely pure. But what does it matter, in the end, if good is achieved, whether because or in spite of artist's motivations?

I THINK PINK FLOYD JUST USED LIVE 8 FOR MONEY!

SOON THEY WILL COME OUT WITH A NEW ALBUM AND GO ON TOUR...YOU'LL SEE!

THEY'RE JUST USING LIVE 8 FOR THEIR OWN GAIN.

beau2ifulday said:
According to HMV, one of the country's main record retailers with 200 stores nationwide, Pink Floyd's "Echoes" album posted a staggering 1,343 percent increase in sales on Sunday compared with the same day a week ago.

Hahaha! Blimey! :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom