Cumbum Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:
If you like the longer compositions, Animals is really an essential listen. Dogs is 17 minutes of sheer awesomeness. I could e-mail it to you ...
I have no objection at all to long compositions. One of those Nick Cave tracks is 15 minutes of total crazy randomness... :lol:

I don't think gmail can handle attachments larger than 10MB... I tried to send a long song to someone over email once, and it spazzed out cos the file was too big.

Why am I still awake? :crack:

Alisaura said:

I have no objection at all to long compositions. One of those Nick Cave tracks is 15 minutes of total crazy randomness... :lol:

I don't think gmail can handle attachments larger than 10MB... I tried to send a long song to someone over email once, and it spazzed out cos the file was too big.

Why am I still awake? :crack:

From sending out all those U2 rarities, I've discovered Gmail will let me send up to 20MB - some other webmail hosts only let you receive 10MB (Yahoo, specifically), but that shouldn't be an issue sending to you. Now it just matters what bitrate my copy of Dogs is encoded at. Hopefully it's below 20MB.

And yeah, I'm wondering why I'm still up too. I've been nearly falling asleep since 9pm, but between the blue crack and dramatic cricket, I haven't been able to go to bed.

Alisaura said:
What time's your first lecture tomorrow? Or do you have Mondays off or something... :wink:

Just about! My only lecture is at 4:15pm. I don't like it much either as the lecturer bugs me. But I better go this week as I skipped last week and I miss next week thanks to Porcupine Tree.

I hope I get all of Piper to you before I go to sleep. My Internet is being more irritatingly slow than usual.

Axver said:
Just about! My only lecture is at 4:15pm. I don't like it much either as the lecturer bugs me. But I better go this week as I skipped last week and I miss next week thanks to Porcupine Tree.
Oh boo hoo. :lol:

*listening to MLOR again and drinking milo*
Yay for self-destructive tendencies...?

Alisaura said:

Oh boo hoo. :lol:

*listening to MLOR again and drinking milo*
Yay for self-destructive tendencies...?

This is the lecturer who set the essay that irritated me no end, so I don't feel positively towards this course right now, and he really needs to go back to Israel where he can lecture in Hebrew. He's relatively alright in English when he's speaking from prepared notes, but when it's off-the-cuff, like if someone asks a question, half the time he's lost. Goddamnit, Melbourne Uni, you put some of your best out of a job at the end of last year but a guy who has trouble understanding English sticks around?

/rant

:lol: Don't you have work tomorr- er, today?

It really sucks when you can't find a band's lyrics online. Internet, you're failing me!

You mean there's something that's NOT on the internet?! :shocked: :faint:

I'm being an idiot, that's what. :lol: But I had loads of sleep last night, and if I can get five hours tonight, I might be lucky and hit hyper-manic tired mode tomorrow, rather than yawning braindead mode.

It's sad that I'm so familiar with my various states of sleep deprivation...

Alisaura said:
You mean there's something that's NOT on the internet?! :shocked: :faint:

Apparently! I couldn't find the lyrics to Lis Er Stille's album Construction Of The AmpTrain. Yeah, so I like the title. And they do pretty cool post-rock.

And just about any Kiwi band you care to name besides Split Enz seems to not have lyrics available online. Can't say I'm surprised though. It's New Zealand. My father's still on bloody dialup.

I'm being an idiot, that's what. :lol: But I had loads of sleep last night, and if I can get five hours tonight, I might be lucky and hit hyper-manic tired mode tomorrow, rather than yawning braindead mode.

It's sad that I'm so familiar with my various states of sleep deprivation...

:lol:

I think all my states of sleep deprivation are the same: "get out of my way, I'm tired and need to slee- zzzzz."

So, Melony Lemons, I'm trying to create a positive DI tracklist.

It's hard bloody work. And I think it has too much post-rock.

Axver said:

Dear non-existent God, NO!

Also, the genre needs to be renamed hair hair, because there was so much hair and no metal involved.

For every good thing that happens in B&C, an equal, but opposite reaction must always occur.

Axver said:
So, Melony Lemons, I'm trying to create a positive DI tracklist.

It's hard bloody work. And I think it has too much post-rock.

What kind of post-rock? It's all pretty downbeat, but not all of it is a good soundtrack for a suicide.

LemonMelon said:

For every good thing that happens in B&C, an equal, but opposite reaction must always occur.

Space Moon proved that.

Axver said:
I think all my states of sleep deprivation are the same: "get out of my way, I'm tired and need to slee- zzzzz."
:lol:

I need to get to bed before I guarantee myself a day of braindeadness....

Hi and Bye, LM! :wave:

:wave: bye Ali. I could never imagine going to bed as late as I do with school the next day. Midnight-1 AM maybe.

LemonMelon said:

What kind of post-rock? It's all pretty downbeat, but not all of it is a good soundtrack for a suicide.

Well, here's how it all started. I was listening to Alcest's Tir Nan Og a few days ago on a really beautiful evening. Now, I think Tir Nan Og is the most beautiful album closer I've ever heard, and I thought it'd be an amazing way to end a tracklist. So I thought I'd try to make a tracklist of the most beautiful music I know, and in Desert Island style.

I'm a bit tired of how unpopular my actual songs are. I'd like people to enjoy the songs as well as the overall atmosphere and stuff. So there's that too. Though I can hear criticisms of this already in my head too. I keep reminding myself I'm making this list for me.

So I think with something focusing on beautiful music, the kind of stuff that soars and has atmosphere, it's going to naturally gravitate to some kinds of post-rock. I mean, EITS are there. Caspian, Yndi Halda, Eluvium, and This Will Destroy You too.

Have a good night, Ali, and I hope you don't end up too tired! :wave:

Axver said:

Well, here's how it all started. I was listening to Alcest's Tir Nan Og a few days ago on a really beautiful evening. Now, I think Tir Nan Og is the most beautiful album closer I've ever heard, and I thought it'd be an amazing way to end a tracklist. So I thought I'd try to make a tracklist of the most beautiful music I know, and in Desert Island style.

I'm a bit tired of how unpopular my actual songs are. I'd like people to enjoy the songs as well as the overall atmosphere and stuff. So there's that too. Though I can hear criticisms of this already in my head too. I keep reminding myself I'm making this list for me.

So I think with something focusing on beautiful music, the kind of stuff that soars and has atmosphere, it's going to naturally gravitate to some kinds of post-rock. I mean, EITS are there. Caspian, Yndi Halda, Eluvium, and This Will Destroy You too.

Don't worry about the criticisms you'll get over this; they'll be minimal in comparison. With your gift for getting a good atmosphere going, mixed with some songs that are actually quite beautiful, I may even enjoy it thoroughly. Post-rock is probably your best bet if you want to stay in your comfort zone a bit.

Damn, why in the hell would someone rip their vinyl copy of an album and post in on the internet in MP3 form? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. It not only sounds worse than a disc would, but it removes the innate warmth of vinyl.

LemonMelon said:

Don't worry about the criticisms you'll get over this; they'll be minimal in comparison. With your gift for getting a good atmosphere going, mixed with some songs that are actually quite beautiful, I may even enjoy it thoroughly. Post-rock is probably your best bet if you want to stay in your comfort zone a bit.

I would like to surprise some people. I want it to be something where people say "this isn't what I expected from Axver". Part of it is based on the beautiful songs that evoke an emotional response from me, so it will stick to some of my comfort zones, but I want to head out into other areas too.

I am really enjoying this tracklist. Essay-writing has motivated it actually, as I write best to atmospheric music, Pure Reason Revolution in particular.

Now, there is a bit where I send the tracklist into darker territory, but it's only a few songs and it's to illustrate the darkly beautiful aspect.

I've found thematically it's developed into another tracklist about where I come from, like Part I of my DI III entry. I guess an idealised memory of what it was like in my childhood. It's cliche but it gives it meaning. It's not hard to illustrate New Zealand with sweeping soundscape music either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom