Cricket World Cup 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If cricket is rounders for posh people, would that make baseball rounders for people with single figure IQ's.

jimmmm said:
If cricket is rounders for posh people, would that make baseball rounders for people with single figure IQ's.

Hahaha, we have a winner.

jimmmm said:

:applaud:

Nah, baseball is not that atrocious, in fact it can be mildy entertaining occasionally.

It's still the "poor man's cricket" though

Oh goodness, Pakistani coach Bob Woolmer was found unconscious in his Jamaican hotel room and died in hospital. Haven't seen an official cause of death given yet. He was 56.

:(

With the shock death of Bob Woolmer, can this World Cup get any wierder?

Cause of death is as yet unknown, and foul play cannot be ruled out. I reckon he might have been poisoned. But that's pure speculation.

Anyhow, Brad Hodge is on fire, and the Poms are still struggling to get into top gear. Flintoff is a funny chap.

RIP Bob Woolmer

Woah, Bangladesh beat India!!!! :hyper:

They did drag on a bit towards the end though! :yawn:

Well, Bangladesh were shit, but now, they are ''the shit''!! :wink:

GO BANGLADESH!!!! :rockon:

Man I love it when the minnows win, it makes it so much more interesting.

India are officialy the most overrated side in the world, and Pakistan are pathetic. I can half understand losing to Bangladesh, they are by far the best of the minnows, but to lose to Ireland, wow. I hope they both get through.

Bob Woolmer. :( Poor bloke, whatever the true circumstances were..

What a dramatic tournament, first upsets everywhere and now this.

And yeah, Herschelle Gibbs - can't that oke give it some? Great achievement and here's hoping that the $1M is put towards a worthwhile charity. Spare a thought for the bowler though..

Not sure what's up with England, they should have gone into the tournament being very confident but they're certainly not playing to their full potential just now. Maybe feeling a bit toured out, and who could blame them?

Still, can't wait for the clashes between the top teams. Right now most people - including the team members, even when they're drunk at sea - must surely be thinking that any team is capable of winning on a given day. Well, most teams anyway..

Everything really is happening at once. Now Inzamam ul-Haq has not only retired as Pakistani captain, but also from one day cricket entirely, with the match against Zimbabwe to be his last.

This is a sad and unglamorous way for one of the greats to depart.

yertle-the-turtle said:
God. This is painful. NZ are bowling well, yes, but England players keep getting out to stupid, stupid shots.

It was a similiar story against Canada. At least two of the batsmen bowled were out because they were attempting to do sweep shots at ridiculous moments. And I have to say, although England won against Canada they were making hard work of what should have been a simple cruise to victory.

Flintoff. What a fucking idiot. England have to be the biggest bunch of hacks ever. Yes they ended up winningm but they're like their soccer team: always so much potential, so much promise, so much talk and so much expectation but never any results. They are playing as badly as they did from the Ashes through to about 3/4s of the way thru the VB series.

Does anyone else think Bob Woolmer's death was a little suspicious? I mean they lose to Ireland, and back home they are burning effigies of players and coach (they did the same when they got thumped here a few years ago) and the next day he is found dead... I mean you can't rule some mad Pakistani fan poisoning him. Unlikely I know, probably 95% it was a stress-induced heart attack, but you just never know... I wouldn't rule it out from those Pakistani fans. It was really sad reading the back of the paper today, they were talking about his plans after the World Cup, opening up a junior development camp. I think that has to rule put suicide. RIP.

COBL_04 said:

Does anyone else think Bob Woolmer's death was a little suspicious? I mean they lose to Ireland, and back home they are burning effigies of players and coach (they did the same when they got thumped here a few years ago) and the next day he is found dead... I mean you can't rule some mad Pakistani fan poisoning him. Unlikely I know, probably 95% it was a stress-induced heart attack, but you just never know... I wouldn't rule it out from those Pakistani fans. It was really sad reading the back of the paper today, they were talking about his plans after the World Cup, opening up a junior development camp. I think that has to rule out suicide. RIP.

Exactly how I feel. There is more to this then meets the eye and I wonder if we'll ever be allowed to know the whole truth. That there was blood and vomit on the walls just makes it all the more suspicious.

intedomine said:

Exactly how I feel. There is more to this then meets the eye and I wonder if we'll ever be allowed to know the whole truth. That there was blood and vomit on the walls just makes it all the more suspicious.

Yeah, I just read that. I have never heard the symptoms of a heart attack listed as excessive blood and vomit.

Man I hope Kenya win their next game. I would love to see both them and Ireland go through. Unfortunately Bangladesh are going to miss out I think, have they played Bermuda yet?

And how about Leverock's catch?

Bangers haven't played Bermuda yet, and you'd think Bangers will win that.

Leverock is a gun, what a catch!

Convincing win by the Black Caps over Kenya. Good to see. And the South Africans made light work of Scotland.

I think England vs Kenya is going to be a bit of an interesting game. The English seem to have returned to the textbook they were using right through to the Adelaide ODIs - crumbling against the Kiwis and making hard work of beating Canada. Kenya could surprise them. Imagine if all three of Ireland, Kenya, and Bangladesh go through!

Babydoll said:
Like I said before, it's very suspicious that he died right after a humiliating defeat. Kinda all adds up....

It was on the news here this lunchtime that the Jamaican police are treating his death as "suspicious" after the post mortem results were "inconclusive" about what caused his death. His wife was quoted as saying that his job was immensely stressful which would make a heart attack more likely but surely if it were a heart attack the post mortem would be able to prove that a heart attack was the cause of death???

Well, Group B is heating up. Sri Lanka just thoroughly demolished Bangladesh, so this makes the Sri Lanka vs India game critical. If India win that one, in all likelihood (unless Bermuda upsets someone), India, Sri Lanka, and Bangladesh will all end up with 2 wins each, meaning that run rate will make all the difference. And the flogging Bangladesh just got has done them no favours.

However, if Sri Lanka beats India, then unless Bermuda somehow overcomes Bangladesh, then Sri Lanka and Bangladesh will go through.

Also, now that Zimbabwe's failing against Pakistan, it looks all but assured that Ireland will be through.

Poor Inzi.... he was around for so long and did so well and he has to leave like this. :(

Most Asian cricket captains always tend to leave humiliated and disgraced...Look at Azharuddin, Sachin, Wasim Akram, Javed Miandad, etc.

Seemingly they are now treating Bob Woolmer's death as murder. Very bizarre turn of events. While very sad and tragic, its life imitating the movies right now.

Not that i want to start speculating but as cricket is such a passionate sport in Pakistan, I wonder if the defeat to Ireland was a bit too much to bear for a fan or two?

Party Boy said:
Not that i want to start speculating but as cricket is such a passionate sport in Pakistan, I wonder if the defeat to Ireland was a bit too much to bear for a fan or two?

Well, they're currently saying there were no signs of struggle, which means that it was almost certainly someone Woolmer knew. That could make it all the more disturbing.

At the end of the day, IT'S JUST A GAME! This is truly unbelievable. Why does someone have to die to wake people up? This article from Cricinfo makes for good reading at this time: http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/286676.html

^ Very likely. They are really passionate about the sport in the sub-continent - when they win, they are treated like Gods, when they lose, they get their lives threatened. I am 100% sure Bob Woolmer's death wasn't because of natural causes. It's not like Pak has never lost under his coaching. So why should he have a heart attack over this loss? There's definitely more to this than meets the eye.

I really do wonder what on earth happened to cricket being "the gentlemen's game". Then again, I suppose that's been an illusion at best since Bodyline, and, well, calling any Australian team of the last thirty years "gentlemen" is a bit of a laugh.

But, to get back to current action, Sri Lanka have just been sent in to bat by India in the crucial Group B match. I'm so tempted to pull an all-nighter. Sri Lanka have the edge on most statistics, except for the rather notable one that in the last nine meetings these teams have had, the team that's batted first has lost eight times. But stats can mean nothing on the day of the game. I'm hoping the Sri Lankans will win this, as I think it'd be awesome if Sri Lanka and Bangladesh were the two to go through.

And also, I'm thoroughly delighted with the performance of the Black Caps so far. 3 wins from 3. Maybe this is our year to ... uh ... get to the semis again? I was having a daydream earlier that we'd actually won, but I suspect that will forever be a daydream and nothing more.

:ohmy:

Police hunt Woolmer's murderer

Cricinfo staff

March 22, 2007

A post-mortem showed Bob Woolmer was strangled in his Jamaica hotel on Sunday.
Police are searching for the killer - or killers - of Bob Woolmer after revealing he was strangled in his hotel room on Sunday. During a press conference in Jamaica police confirmed Woolmer was murdered - he showed few signs of struggling with his attackers - and there were no suspects.

"The pathologist's report states that Mr Woolmer's death was due to asphyxiation as a result of manual strangulation," Karl Angell, the police spokesman, said. "In these circumstances, the matter of Mr Woolmer's death is now being treated by the Jamaica police as a case of murder."

Mark Shields, Jamaica's deputy commissioner of police, is now heading the investigation and said there were many lines of inquiry. "Bob is a large man and it would take some significant force to strangle him, but we don't know at this point how many people were in his room," he said. "There was very little evidence of a struggle."

In an interview with BBC Radio, Shields said that it was difficult to believe that the murder could have been committed by a stranger. "It is imperative that we keep an open mind, but I have to say at this stage it looks as if it may be somebody somehow linked to him, because clearly he let somebody into his hotel room and it may be that he knew who that person was."

When asked why it had taken so long to prove the case of strangulation Shields said: "There were no visible signs in this particular case and we had to make sure."

Shields said there was no reason w

Back
Top Bottom