Cricket - Australia Vs South Africa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:
I would say that New Zealand would be the greatest ODI team in the world if they were actually consistent. All of us saw what the Black Caps can do when everyone got their act together on the same day and they beat Australia while setting a world record.

It's a team life cycle thing.

Australia are currently about 3-4 years post maturity and will probably slip until they peak again in 10-15 years.

New Zealand are still building a team which will be around for a long time (Marshall, Vincent, Marshall, McCullum, Vettori, Franklin, Oram, Styris, Adams) with some experienced campaigners to learn from for the next 2-4 years (Astle, Cairns, Fleming). Pakistain are just hitting maturity now.

Those 7-1 odds for NZ to win the cup are looking mighty tasty.

Australia declare with a 490 lead.

No chance for South Africa, probably not even for a draw.

australia will win this sometime in the final session tomorrow by 250 + odd runs

south africa's best chance to make an impression on anything this series WAS at the waca, but it now looks like a 'run of the mill' sweep coming up

countingChickens.jpg

:sad: Why am I in Sydney when they are playing at the WACA? :mad:

:shrug: Could always try and catch some cricket here :hyper:

Draw. The spotlight's on Rudolph at the moment but I'm very impressed with Kemp. He had a great series against NZ and while I didn't follow the India series too closely I think he's going to be a constant irritant to the Aussies.

Draw, as expected.

Australia simply don't have the firepower to dismiss a side in one day. I asked of a mate at lunchtime "what team can only take 2 wickets in 2 sessions on a fifth day wicket?" He dryly replied "The same team that cannot defend 330 in an ODI!".

:lmao:

CrashedCarDriver said:
australia will win this sometime in the final session tomorrow by 250 + odd runs

south africa's best chance to make an impression on anything this series WAS at the waca, but it now looks like a 'run of the mill' sweep coming up

:lol:

Doesn't look like it, mate!

Interestingly, Warne plans to make Justin Kemp his new 'bunny'. Jesus, cut the guy some slack. Rudolph made him take most of the strike against Warne and he made a 50, his previous best being 16!

Can't wait for the second test starting tomorrow. Here's hoping either Symonds smashes a hundred off 60 balls or he gets a duck and Clarke comes back.

And good to see another young Aussie getting a chance - New South Wales opener Phil Jacques has been named in the side to replace Justin Langer. I was hoping he'd make his debut, and so that they wouldn't just push Hussey up to open. Good luck mate :up:

Last of all - Punter, you did nothing wrong in declaring 490 runs ahead. Hodge made a double century and tell me how many people expected South Africa to not get bowled out by the Aussies. Cut him him some slack too. 127 overs ws plenty of time, South Africa just played exceptionally well.

PS - I have been told I bowl like Vettori - very pleased. Vettori rocks!

COBL_04 said:

Last of all - Punter, you did nothing wrong in declaring 490 runs ahead. Hodge made a double century and tell me how many people expected South Africa to not get bowled out by the Aussies. Cut him him some slack too. 127 overs ws plenty of time, South Africa just played exceptionally well.

Most nuetral cricketing observers (i.e. Axver and myself) thought it was too late. Australia simply doesn't have the firepower, on a dead pitch like that fifth day WACA, to bundle a team out. Pontings decleration was half the problem, the middle orders slow batting was the other half.

This is the first Boxing Day in years which has the potential to live up to the hype. :up:

timothius said:

Most nuetral cricketing observers (i.e. Axver and myself) thought it was too late. Australia simply doesn't have the firepower, on a dead pitch like that fifth day WACA, to bundle a team out. Pontings decleration was half the problem, the middle orders slow batting was the other half.

This is the first Boxing Day in years which has the potential to live up to the hype. :up:

Fair enough. I just believed, along with Ricky, that 127 overs was going to be enough to bundle them out. And had South Africa been chasing say, 250 then they wouldn't have played so defensive and Australia would have had more chances. We underestimated the toughness of the Proteas and I look forward to an entertaining series.

COBL_04 said:

Fair enough. I just believed, along with Ricky, that 127 overs was going to be enough to bundle them out.

This isn't Bangladesh; South Africa know how to defend a wicket.

Of course, Australia can't help over-rating itself ...

Axver said:

This isn't Bangladesh; South Africa know how to defend a wicket.

Of course, Australia can't help over-rating itself ...

First Innings they were bowled out for 296. However, Axver, credit to your country - chasing down the Aussies was awesome. I wish I had a copy of that game.

COBL_04 said:

First Innings they were bowled out for 296.

Well, yes, but two things:

1. South Africa weren't batting to avoid a loss at that point, and it was on a much younger pitch.
2. Look at Australia's first innings score.

If Ponting had done his homework on they typical WACA wicket he would know it gets progressively less lethal as the game wares on... the ability for a player like Hodge to hang around so easily should have sent the alarm bells rining.

Axver said:

Well, yes, but two things:

1. South Africa weren't batting to avoid a loss at that point, and it was on a much younger pitch.
2. Look at Australia's first innings score.

Yes, true. I was just saying that most Aussie fans would have believed 127 overs was enough to bowl out South Africa.

The second test has been delayed a bit due to a damp pitch.

COBL_04 said:

Yes, true. I was just saying that most Aussie fans would have believed 127 overs was enough to bowl out South Africa.

The second test has been delayed a bit due to a damp pitch.

Most Aussie fans believe a lot of things that aren't necessarily accurate or reasonable, though. I mean, look at how many think Australia is still the best team in the world because they beat the (obviously lacklustre) "World" XI, despite the fact they've lost the Ashes and to Bangladesh this year.

the rockin edge said:

:ohmy: wow, i the last time i looked it was 190/3 now it's 222/6 :up:

collapse :happy:

8/239 at stumps! :happy:

Nel took four wickets and Pollock three. :up:

Back
Top Bottom