Cricket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
I don't understand it.

I've watched some of it and had it explained to me, yet I still have no idea what's going on apart from the fact that a guy throws a ball and another guy hits it and then runs down a strip to the other end.

Can someone please explain it and make it seem more fun and less boring than I fear it is?

Where is Betty?

Good luck Meggie....although, you have the advantage of seeing the game live!

I am convinced that as Americans, were are predisposed (right word?) to baseball, therefore, making it sooooo hard to learn cricket. We WANT to put baseball rules into this sport. :shrug:

Last edited:
basically it's about tactics, athletic aabilities, endurance and composure

oh yeah
and in the end the aussies win :D

brettig will indeed come up with a better post on this one though

In a nutshell Meggie there are 2 games in cricket. 5 Day Tests and One Day matches. In a one day match, there are 50 overs bowled per side. An over is 6 balls (the bowler does his 6, then a new bowler comes on for a while). So the aim is to get as many runs off 300 balls as you can. Each team will bat until their side is out, or the over limit is reached. Then they swap.
Runs are straight forward, however many times you can get from one end to the other. You can get an automatic 4 runs if the ball is hit and reaches the boundary (usually the fence around the field, or on larger ground it will be roped on the field for visibility). 6 runs are when you hit the ball clean into the stand. If it bounces first, its only a 4. The batters dont have to run for these. So you'll see them just standing there looking chuffed.

To get out, the ball can hit the batter's leg provided it is inline with the wickets behind him. That is called an LBW, or leg before wicket. If a fielder catches a ball before it hits the ground, it is caught out. A fielder may throw the ball at the wickets while the batter is running, if he is out of his crease (the white line he must stand behind to hit the ball) he is out. If a batter is in crease, or behind the white line, he is 'safe'. same logic as a baseball. A batter can also be clean bowled. Which is simply him missing the ball, and it hitting the wickets behind him, in crease or not.
A Duck is an out with no runs to the batter's name, a Golden Duck is out on the first ball bowled to him. A hatrick is a bowler getting 3 people out in a row, off 3 consecutive balls - or when his overs continue. Rare thing to see, but it does happen. Once someone got a hatrick over a 3 day time perios or something unusual.
A maiden over is an over of 6 balls with no runs being made by the batting team. What every bowler aims for when he can't get them out.

I dont think this is terribly clear, but it is pretty much everything you need to know to follow the game reasonably. Thre is a whole heap more to it, but you can enjoy it on this much knowledge or decide it truly is the most dull of sports next to golf :D

One Day Internationals are more exciting than Tests. Start with a One Day'er before deciding if you hate it or not :D

I had this lying around so thought I'd put it in too,although there's nothing wrong with angie's description.

The laws are really pretty involved but basically its two teams of 11 players. One side bats (2 players at a time) while the opposition 11 are in the field. The fielding side tries to dismiss the batting side as quickly as possible (10 players must be dismissed or the batting side can declare the innings closed if it suits them). Once theyve done this the teams swap over.

The fielding side uses bowlers. One bowls (using various actions which impart curve or spin, but the key rule is that you must deliver the ball with a straight overarm action, rather than throwing it) six balls at one end before the umpire calls 'over' and another bowler bowls at the other end. The batsmen can be dismissed by hitting the ball in the air and being caught, they can be bowled when the ball goes past them and hits the 'stumps' (three wooden poles around a metre in length stuck in the ground at either end of the pitch, which is 22 metres in length), be out leg before wicket if the ball hits them on the pads protecting their legs in line with the stumps according to the umpire, or they can be run out when hitting a ball into the outfield and the fielding side gathers the ball and hits the stumps before the batsman has reached safety at one end of the pitch (sound a bit like baseball?). There are some other more obscure modes of dismissal but they're the main ones.

In the longer games both sides get two chances to bat, while we also have 'one day cricket' where each side gets one innings for a set period of time.

It is an English game, and like Tennis its played on grass pitches, although at lower levels its played on a synthetic surface which is far easier to maintain. The pitches must be rolled very hard and flat so as to make it fair, since the ball used can be very dangerous. Generally a hard cork or synthetic centre coated in several layers of red leather with a white stitched seam, the ball has been compared to half a house brick when hurled at speeds of up to 100mph.

Fallen asleep yet?

brettig said:
. The pitches must be rolled very hard and flat so as to make it fair, since the ball used can be very dangerous. Generally a hard cork or synthetic centre coated in several layers of red leather with a white stitched seam, the ball has been compared to half a house brick when hurled at speeds of up to 100mph.

:ohmy: OUCH!

Does this look like it would tickle? :D

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

CBLEAGE.JPG

wow and the guys who play in the field do not wear gloves?

that would hurt like hell to be nailed by one. just like being hit in the face by a Water Polo Ball that was thrown by your ex who was teaching me the basics on Water Polo but me being the dumb ass turned away to say something to a friend and i got smacked in the face by a fast moving wet Water Polo Ball. :yikes:

Back
Top Bottom